• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Hard Drive And Filerecovery Crashes

#1 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:40 AM

Hi all,

New around here and not a complete IT-buff so don't know heaps about what is going on.

Basically I want to recover files from a formatted hard drive (if they still exist). I am running Windows 7 and have two problems.

If I boot from the CD, my hard drives don't show up at all - only RAM, the CD and my external HD.

If I run FileRecovery through nu2menu on Windows 7, it gets to about two-thirds through the scand (and finds about 55,000 lost files) until it freezes with an NT Read Error.

I think this may be due to running a scan on the drive which is being currently used. I am hoping if I can boot from the CD, this issue may be avoided.

I have seen a couple of other threads regarding hard drives not appearing after booting from the CD but haven't quite understood how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#2 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Would really appreciate an answer to trying to have UBCD4Win find my hard drive when booted from the CD - need to run the FileRecovery ASAP.

Thanks again in advance.

Cheers

#3 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

You may have to add a driver for the mass storage controller.

It's nice to know the used hardware, every time a driver question appears.

#4 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

View Postcdob, on 13 November 2009 - 11:23 PM, said:

You may have to add a driver for the mass storage controller.

It's nice to know the used hardware, every time a driver question appears.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I would have loved to give that information in the opening post, but don't actually know what is important and what isn't (and may not know the information anyway).

If the hardware used can be found from anywhere and you can direct me to this, I am happy to provide it.

If not I'd love to know how to add a driver for the mass storage controller.

Again, thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.

This post has been edited by hoever06: 13 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

hoever06,

Perhaps this may sound harsh but sometimes others must point out the reality of a situation...

Data recovery from a corrupted drive can be hard for even an expert to do ... and you don't even understand the basics needed such as which hard drive controller your system that you have in front of you has and you want to attempt something even advanced users have trouble performing?

Look up your systems make/model or the motherboard make and model... go to the support website for that and get the driver for the controller your system uses. Then when you have that, re-read the instructions that you probably already found to add the drivers you got to the build.

If you can't do that... take the system to someone that can so you can avoid messing the drive up even worse.
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, the drive isn't corrupted. I formatted it for a clean Windows 7 install (from Vista) but somehow simply forgot my photos folder when backing up (did the rest).

I talked to a friend of mine who works in the industry who suggested FileRecovery in UBCD4Win. I can get it to run inside W7 but it hangs about 2/3 of the way through, however it is finding many files. If this process could just finish I could copy them to an external drive and see what is there.

I think there is a fair chance this wouldn't happen when booting from the CD, but when I do this my hard drives disappear.

If all else fails, I will take it to a professional.

In any case, thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

#7 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

rdsok, I was wondering if you'd be able to give me one more shot at this.

So my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 2.20GHz and hard drive is a Toshiba MK2035GSS ATA Device.

I understand I need a driver for the latter, so I have looked on the Toshiba website (http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/PCNotebookHardDrives) for a floppy/F6 driver (I saw you mention in another post) but was unsuccessful.

I believe if I can just find the hard drive when booting from a CD the FileRecovery will work perfectly.

Cheers once again, greatly appreciated

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

View Posthoever06, on 23 November 2009 - 10:37 PM, said:

You can have a million shots at this... previously I was just pointing out that the subject is an advanced/expert subject and you are simply a novice at this point making it an uphill battle so to speak.

You misunderstood what is needed about drivers... If the build can see the drive you do not need to add different ones. If it doesn't recognise the drive ( in Disk Management that is ) then you either need a driver or the drive itself is bad and nothing can help then. Another misunderstanding you made when a driver is required... you don't need a driver for the hard drive... you need a driver for the hard drive controller that the hard drive is connected to.
                  Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#9 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

View Postrdsok, on 24 November 2009 - 03:08 PM, said:

View Posthoever06, on 23 November 2009 - 10:37 PM, said:

You can have a million shots at this... previously I was just pointing out that the subject is an advanced/expert subject and you are simply a novice at this point making it an uphill battle so to speak.

You misunderstood what is needed about drivers... If the build can see the drive you do not need to add different ones. If it doesn't recognise the drive ( in Disk Management that is ) then you either need a driver or the drive itself is bad and nothing can help then. Another misunderstanding you made when a driver is required... you don't need a driver for the hard drive... you need a driver for the hard drive controller that the hard drive is connected to.

The build can't see it. When I boot from the CD it is as if it doesn't exist. To my knowledge there are no problems with the disk, I have run checks etc.

#10 User is offline   hoever06 Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:52 AM

I just realised the version given to me is 3.1.

If I download 3.5 do you think this will potentially fix the problem?

Sorry for the incovenience I have been.

Thanks once more

#11 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

You may be confusing the version of the builder with the version of the project. Currently the UBCD4WinBuilder.exe is at version 3.1.10a .... the project version is at 3.5. Read the changes.txt file to see which version of the project itself you have.

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users