UBCD4Win Forums: Smithfraud Fixer - UBCD4Win Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smithfraud Fixer NOD32 picks up everything in it as a virus

#1 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Posts: 11
    • Joined: 16-May 08

    Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

    Nod32 picks up the smithfraud removal tool in UBCD4Win 3.55 as a virus, I know this tool get's flagged by some AV's. What's weird is the newest version of the smithfraud removal tool doesn't get flagged by NOD32 the one in this package does. Yes the MD5 hash of my downloaded ubcd4win matches the one posted on the download page. Probably a false positive, but start using SHA1 or better. MD5 is pretty much useless and has been for years, it can be hacked.
    0

    #2 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

    • Newbie
    • Pip
      • Group: Members
      • Posts: 11
      • Joined: 16-May 08

      Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

      By the way I meant v3.50 not 3.55.
      0

      #3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

      • rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin
        • Posts: 6,013
        • Joined: 02-October 05
        • Gender:Male
        • Location:Norman, Ok. USA

        Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

        Are you sure it was detected as a virus and not something else... it would be a good question for you to ask Eset about since we can't speak for them... I can tell you to read our FAQ about this type of situation though.
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....
        0

        #4 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

        • Newbie
        • Pip
          • Group: Members
          • Posts: 11
          • Joined: 16-May 08

          Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

          View Postrdsok, on 18 November 2009 - 06:03 PM, said:

          Are you sure it was detected as a virus and not something else... it would be a good question for you to ask Eset about since we can't speak for them... I can tell you to read our FAQ about this type of situation though.


          How come both the version history page and list of tools page do not list the Smithfraud tool as part of UBCD4Win?
          0

          #5 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

          • Member
          • PipPip
            • Group: Members
            • Posts: 76
            • Joined: 29-June 06

            Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

            To be clear, I think you are referencing SmitFraud. I have some experience with this, but not because of UBCD4WIN.

            Mostly full details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmitFraud
            0

            #6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

            • rdsok
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Admin
              • Posts: 6,013
              • Joined: 02-October 05
              • Gender:Male
              • Location:Norman, Ok. USA

              Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

              View Poststreet_lethal, on 23 November 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

              How come both the version history page and list of tools page do not list the Smithfraud tool as part of UBCD4Win?


              How is this question related to what you quoted? There is not reason to quote someone if you are asking an off-topic question... in fact, you really should post an off-topic post in a thread, you should search for an existing thread about the same subject and if not found start a new one.

              The reason, if there is one, the amount of the project's donations do not allow the developers to quit their real jobs... so we focus on updating the project first, posting help etc on the forum next and minor details such as the website info comes very last. It is, however, listed in the changes.txt file found in the build itself.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....
              0

              #7 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

              • Newbie
              • Pip
                • Group: Members
                • Posts: 11
                • Joined: 16-May 08

                Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

                View Postrdsok, on 23 November 2009 - 08:34 PM, said:

                View Poststreet_lethal, on 23 November 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

                How come both the version history page and list of tools page do not list the Smithfraud tool as part of UBCD4Win?


                How is this question related to what you quoted? There is not reason to quote someone if you are asking an off-topic question... in fact, you really should post an off-topic post in a thread, you should search for an existing thread about the same subject and if not found start a new one.

                The reason, if there is one, the amount of the project's donations do not allow the developers to quit their real jobs... so we focus on updating the project first, posting help etc on the forum next and minor details such as the website info comes very last. It is, however, listed in the changes.txt file found in the build itself.


                It's related because the thread topic is about the smitfraud removal tool in the UBCD4Win package. It's being picked up as a virus and I was wondering why it's not listed anywhere on your site as part of the package. I wanted to make sure it wasn't thrown in there or altered when it wasn't supposed to be since as I said MD5 hash's can be hacked. Since this package came out seven months ago I thought the page would have been up to date. I think it's a false positive either way. I think this is a great project and i'm not trying to annoy you i'm just careful about what I run on my computer.

                This post has been edited by street_lethal: 24 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

                0

                #8 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

                • Newbie
                • Pip
                  • Group: Members
                  • Posts: 11
                  • Joined: 16-May 08

                  Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:24 PM

                  View Postturbine_blade, on 23 November 2009 - 05:37 PM, said:

                  To be clear, I think you are referencing SmitFraud. I have some experience with this, but not because of UBCD4WIN.

                  Mostly full details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmitFraud


                  You are correct, either way it's gets picked up as a virus but I know some AV's pick it up as one which makes things harder to discern as far is if it is really a virus or not. About 12 out of the 41 scanners on virustotal flag it.
                  0

                  Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

                  1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users