Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Runtime Error 52 In Registry Restore Wizard

#1 User is offline   pcowner Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

I'm trying to fix a "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE error" on my son's PC. I've built the UBCD4Win CD and booted his computer with it. When I try to run the Registry Restore Wizard I get "Runtime Error '52' Bad File Name or Number". I saw another post on the forum that suggested running CHKDSK /f/r when this happened, but my son's computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the hard drive when booted with the UBCD4Win CD (there is no C: drive shown on the main Ultimate Boot CD For Windows menu, it only shows B: and X:drives). Does anyone have a suggestion as to why I'm getting this runtime error or how to get past it?

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

If the C drive is not seen, then most of the utilities in UBCD4Win will not be able to see it. So Registry Restore Wizard is not able to see it.

Hard drives can sometimes be tricky. It's hard to explain. I've seen many hard drives with similar problems as yours and it is not always a simple procedure. The file system or partition information can be screwed up to where chkdsk, RRW, and other tools can not see the C drive. For example, we saw something goofy just the other day at work. A computer was BSOD and when we ran UBCD4Win it would not see the hard drive. So I ran TestDisk and rewrote the partition information. We could see the drive but was not able to run chkdsk on it?? So we booted a XP CD and ran chkdsk from there. Then the system was fine.
      In this case though, with the corrupt file error I don't think I've had the problem you are reporting? You can't run chkdsk on the drive in UBCD4Win? I've seen a similar error but that was fixed after I ran a chkdsk on the drive.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   pcowner Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on 22 November 2009 - 06:11 PM, said:

If the C drive is not seen, then most of the utilities in UBCD4Win will not be able to see it. So Registry Restore Wizard is not able to see it.

Hard drives can sometimes be tricky. It's hard to explain. I've seen many hard drives with similar problems as yours and it is not always a simple procedure. The file system or partition information can be screwed up to where chkdsk, RRW, and other tools can not see the C drive. For example, we saw something goofy just the other day at work. A computer was BSOD and when we ran UBCD4Win it would not see the hard drive. So I ran TestDisk and rewrote the partition information. We could see the drive but was not able to run chkdsk on it?? So we booted a XP CD and ran chkdsk from there. Then the system was fine.
        In this case though, with the corrupt file error I don't think I've had the problem you are reporting? You can't run chkdsk on the drive in UBCD4Win? I've seen a similar error but that was fixed after I ran a chkdsk on the drive.

No, I can't run chkdsk. I've tried running it though the Command Prompt (CMD) off the UBC4Win Start Menu and I get a "Device is not ready" error. I've also tried running it through Programs>Disk Tools>Diagnostic>Diskcheck 1.077 in UBCD4Win and I get "Error Accessing Drive C:\" I'm kind of a novice at this, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

Run the WD Diagnostics on the drive... reboot and then if you still can't access it use TestDisk as was previously mentioned.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   pcowner Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

View Postrdsok, on 23 November 2009 - 12:15 AM, said:

Run the WD Diagnostics on the drive... reboot and then if you still can't access it use TestDisk as was previously mentioned.

Sorry, I'm really unfamiliar with how the UBCD4Win disk works. I booted from the disk and then from the UBCD4Win Menu I went into Start>Programs>Disk Tools>Diagnostic>WD Dlg. Is that where you were talking about to run WD Diagnostics? If so, the C: drive doesn't show up there either. Should I go ahead and run TestDisk? Will I lose information on the computer by doing this? I'm trying not to lose my son's documents, etc.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users