UBCD4Win Forums: Used Dariks Nuke...now Cant Find My Hard Drive - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Used Dariks Nuke...now Cant Find My Hard Drive

#1 User is offline   Jasonf1083 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:07 AM

ok so i somehow starte to nuke my harddrive, trying to get rid of a partion. now the explorers wont find it but the HD tune will. so i know that it is still there...somewheres. is there anyway to get it back. my goal was to get rid of whatever virus was on the machine. not get rid of everything. but that for another post. any help please??

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

ok so i somehow starte to nuke my harddrive

How, is very important.

What program did you use to wipe the HD?
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   Jasonf1083 Icon

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:04 AM

im certain im pretty sure i used Darik's Boot and nuke v2.0 autonuke.... but like i said. i stopped it before it got too far at all. i guess im just gonna let it do its thing. maybe then it will at least recognize it as a drive to store things.?

#4 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:11 AM

Darik's Boot and nuke is a very thorough program that writes zeros to the drive starting at sector zero and continues to the end of the drive. It is doubtfull that you will be able to recover anything from the drive at this point.

You may try testdisk to see if you stopped the wipe in time for anything to be salvageable, but I seriously doubt it.

i guess im just gonna let it do its thing. maybe then it will at least recognize it as a drive to store things.?

You dont seem to understand what your doing, running this program again will not make the drive usable or visible as a drive letter.

All of the partition information is gone, so to use the drive again you must assume its a new (Empty) volume, which means you must partition and format it before it will be usable again. This is quite easy to do, so you should not have much trouble with that portion.
          Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#5 User is offline   Jasonf1083 Icon

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

yes. thank you. im only finding one other problem. the "windows disk" i have, is just a back-up and of course missing some files...like the License Agreement. And my gal "put up" my actual windows disk, and cannot find it. its an hp computer, and my Vaio disk, of course will not work. any other options for this....aside from buying another copy, or finding someone with one?

#6 User is offline   Adv. PC Sys. Icon

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Ben there and seen that!!!

I am wiping hard drives all the time for data recovery, and when a drive is wiped it start at track 0 and keeps going till it hits the last bit of information. When you Nuke your hard drive with Darik’s Boot and Nuke it makes 3 passes in the “autonuke” mode. If you stopped the process in the first pass you will have data still on the back end of your drive. The data that has been wiped is gone. The remaining data can be recovered with standard data recovery software. Try the following trial programs that are free to try, but if you want the data you will have to pay for the full program:

Get Data Back-

Get Data Back

r-tools R-Studio-

R-Studio

DTIData Recover it All-

DTIData

#7 User is offline   Jasonf1083 Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

I Used Dariks boot and nuke to wipe the hard drive. problems is now, when i went to re-install windows, it does not "see" it. it actually is recognizing my C: drive as my MMC/SD drive. when i use some of the programs on the UBCD4Win disk (hdtune..etc) it still sees my hd "200g" but still no luck on the windows install....however it is seeing some other drive H: with only 13100mb or so on it...what is goin on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have installed Win XP on the "H:" drive in hopes that i can figure out what is up, or use it as the Windows drive and keep all my files and other stuff on the 200g.

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'm guessing you have a media card reader on the system?? I've seen many "goofy" drive letters when getting ready to do a reinstall. I think I accidentally formatted a drive once because I was not really paying attention. Generally I disconnect the card readers before a new install so Windows is installed as the "C" drive.

Your drive not being recognized, I really can't say for certain??? Did you do as suggested in your other post? Does that system need a special SATA driver? Is it setup for AHCI?? If so, XP usually needs a driver for that.
                  "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#9 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

Speaking of multiple posts/threads.... do not do that. You already had an existing thread on this subject and starting another one was not needed...

Threads merged to keep all info in one location.
                    Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#10 User is offline   Adv. PC Sys. Icon

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

When you Nuke a hard drive it is not going to show up in the Big Info screen or in My Computer. Check disk Management to see if the drive shows up, but do not initialize it or format the drive.

#11 User is offline   Jasonf1083 Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

my harddrive is now the H: drive. It says there is 127gb total. 124gb free. im sure that a 200gb is a rounded number, but where is the rest of the drive at? there is no partitions on the drive. its just a basic HP computer came out around the same time Vista was hitting the market. but it is XP. im just lost now.

#12 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi Jasonf1083

If your HP XP CD has no service pack it may not see beyond 127 MB of the hard disk
                          when you installed XP it created a 127GB primary parition

assuming you have a 200GB hard disk which is recognised by PC's BIOS as just under 200GB

If you install SP2 you will find disk management will now show you a 200GB hard disk with about 60GB free
                          which you can use to create another parition (unfortunately this drive letter will be after DVD drive letter)
                          (engineers, scientists and disk manufacturer says 1G = 1,000,000,000
                          RAM & operating systems + computer scientists say 1G = 1024 x 1024 x 1024)

regards
                          Mike Barnes

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users