Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help With Ubcd4Win

#1 User is offline   dee Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi - i am a complete newbie to UBCD but with help i have managed to create an ISO/CD of UBCD4WIN.I have excluded AV stuff for size for now and it boots fine.
    I wonder if anybody could help with my issue and how i could best utlize USBCD4WIN to resolve my problem.
    A quick overview;

Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home Edition SP2.
    Running Avast and Spyware Dr.
    1 Programs and documents not opening/executing but mouse/keyobaord and menu listing activity fine.
    2 Turn pc off or Restart via menus not executing.
    3 Restore screen available but not executing.
    4 Manual power off and on.
    5 System tries to boot but "sorry for any inconvenince" message/menu appears. System stalls on boot from this
    menus and black screen with white mouse cursor appears.
    6 Booting from Reinstall CD with R option came up with same results -black screen with white mouse cursor appears
    7 Booting from Reinstall CD or C drive using various boot options ie - prev working config etc) now bypasses the "sorry for any inconvenience" message/menu and goes to a blue screen (Windows xp logo top right hand corner) and says something like "preparing to Load Windows" but then also stalls after the Windows logo with black screen and white mouse cursor. (I am loathed to try this again just in case the overwrite takes place)

I am at a loss as to whether the system now thinks im upgrading XP or trying a reinstall/overwrite but am thinking that i am very fortunate that the destructive install did not happen. (I assume that being able to navigate the docs and files via UBCD4WIN confirms this?)

There is a good 5 years worth of files and programs on the drive (in many cases irreplaceable) & i am hoping it is possible to restore the system as was and in tact pre the problem?

Could somebody please help me with my next move using UBCD4WIN to backup/restore my system to a pre problem status?

many thanks

dee

This post has been edited by dee: 23 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

#2 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Backup all your personal files to a USB device (flash drive or HD enclusure) using UBCD4WIN and restore your computer using the recovery disks that came with it. After the install completes restore your files.

This method is the cleanest way to get your computer back to a working state without digging into registry settings, etc.

#3 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Could somebody please help me with my next move using UBCD4WIN to backup/restore my system to a pre problem status?

Your very next move is to backup all of your files.
        If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#4 User is offline   dee Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

KCarney & PCUser:

thankyou for the advice... i will take it one step at a timme and start by backing up all files on C.

can i ask - what in your opinion is;
          a: the best and neatest media to do this to ? (cd/dvd/usb device/another hard drive)
          b; the best and neatest way of doing the backup on UBCD4WIn (ie, which menu list item?)

is it possible to create a mirror of the current drive somehow on UBCD4WIN with file nav as is etc?

KCarney re relaoding and not touching reg settings, does this mean i will lose my programs (not files) that are loaded? i really need save all data including programs and settings if i can as some progs were paid for some time ago and reg details / passwords etc are not available to me now.

many thanks

dee

#5 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

I like to backup to an external usb hard drive using Unstoppable Copier (Start -> File -> Recovery -> Unstoppable Copier).
            If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Admin

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Re: Programs...

The majority of Windows programs require that they be installed properly from their source ( download file, CD, DVD etc ) in order that Windows has the proper settings for the program. So if you haven't kept up with the sources for your programs or their installation keys/serial numbers, then you are probably going to have an expensive learning experience concerning the programs you have lost that info or source for.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   dee Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

thankyou v much for your replies.

someone has said they will source me an external hard drive for the copy.
                not sure how soon though :(

rdsok. is there no way i will be able to salvage the set up/progs at all even if i sought
                professional help?? i have so many progs i am going to lose that the expense doesnt bear
                thinking about.

many thanks

dee

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users