UBCD4Win Forums: Mysterious Crashing - UBCD4Win Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterious Crashing Computer Crashes like bad memory...only not...

#31 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
    • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

Well I was going to suggest trying new modules but it would be a waste of money if your motherboard is to blame, and replacing your MB (same model if possible) would be a waste if the problem still occurs. Keep on testing until your patience wears thin, I'll keep the suggestions coming if I have any more.

I had this problem myself years ago on an old mac, and spent way too much money replacing nearly every single component in the box and it didn't eliminate the issue. So I sold it on ebay and made a profit.

#32 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:59 AM

I would second the 'cracks in the motherboard' guess. I've seen this before in a couple of computers. Usually the machine is fine until it starts to heat up. Then the motherboard expands and the cracks cause it to flake out. If there is a crack and its near the memory modules it could be the extra heat from have them all in is what is causing the machine to crash faster with all the slots populated.

My other thought is that your power supply could be on its way out. I've seen a fair number of flaky issues go away once I replaced a failing, but not quite failed, power supply. If you have on of those el cheapo power supply testers that should tell you if its going bad or not. If you have a multimeter you can (carefully!!!) test it manually. There's a couple good writeups out on googleland that tell you how to safely do that.

Cheers

#33 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Game-Design, Gaming, Writing, Novels, TV, Media, Women, Digital Art, Graphic Design, Massage Therapy, Massages, World of Warcraft, WoW, Blizzard, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Xbox, PlayStation, WII, PSP, Nintendo DS, Castle Age.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

Thanks but I also think its my motherboard, I have a super nice PSU that we tested with a multi-meter and it came out fine. Think im just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new Mobo. Thanks again for all the help and advise hehe.
        Reason and justice tell me there's more love for humanity in electricity and steam than in chastity and vegetarianism.  ~Anton Chekhov

#34 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
          • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

You're welcome. Be sure to let us know if the mobo replacement fixes it, my bet is on yes.

#35 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Just a suggestion, but clock speeds can also cause what you are describing.
            Make sure the motherboard is not overclocked, or using ram clock speeds higher then your memory is rated for.

Overclocked GPU's that use shared memory can also corrupt dataflow in paged memory addresses so check the clock speeds of your GPU while your at it.
            Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

• (3 Pages)
            • +
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users