UBCD4Win Forums: Mysterious Crashing - UBCD4Win Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterious Crashing Computer Crashes like bad memory...only not...

#1 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Game-Design, Gaming, Writing, Novels, TV, Media, Women, Digital Art, Graphic Design, Massage Therapy, Massages, World of Warcraft, WoW, Blizzard, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Xbox, PlayStation, WII, PSP, Nintendo DS, Castle Age.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:19 AM

Dear, Almighty Technology Gods

I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to post stuff like this, but going to give it a try.
    Short Version
    Computer crashes when playing games or opening/closing programs, used GPU-Z PC Probe II, and WinMemory check .iso to no avail. PC specs and Errors Further down post.

Long Version

My PC crashed for the first time about a week ago. Almost like there was a power surge. No beep, no blue-screen, nothing. I Didn't think much of it at the time but decided to do a Format/Re-install because it hadn't been done in awhile, and I like to do it 2-3 times a year. All went smooth, got windows up and running, installed my games/software latest drivers and then logged onto Facebook and made it my homepage. While It loaded the web-page, it crashed again.Same crash as before. Now I was concerned. Got it up and running again and decided to see if it crashed when running a program like a game. Loaded up World of Warcraft just fine and started playing in a very busy location with thousands of textures and information and no crash. A few minutes later in a much less populated area with much less intensive graphics it crashes and I get this:

This application has encountered a critical error:
    ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
    Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
    Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:0074CC86

The instruction at "0x0074CC86" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    The memory could not be "written".

Then my PC crashes again. When I log back on I check the Event Viewer
    Category (102)
    System Error

Error code 0000000000000109, parameter1 a3a03a382ce5250d, parameter2 b3b746be7f61ce6a, parameter3 fffffadf90673b00, parameter4 0000000000000003.

Dcom Error
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I decide to go research this on another PC in the house and a sibling gets on my PC and starts watching movies, an hour or so later I return and he has been watching a movie and it hadn't crashed. Now I'm even more confused. I seek help from friends and another tech website and this is the process I went through.
    1. Downloaded and Ran: GPU-Z, PC Probe II, Microsoft RAM Test ISO - All of which reported no errors.
    2. Tried Plugging in Multiple external Hard-drives and a headset and a flash-drive and got them all running to try and test the power-supply. No-crash
    3. Talk with friends and more Research/Posting. A friend said he thinks that my Motherboard has a Capacitor that is dieing. The Forums only gave me "Its your Power-supply"
    4. Found UBCD and here I am.

Here are my computer speccs

Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition
    Version 2003
    Service Pack 1

CPU:
    Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU
    3.40GHz
    3.40GHz, 4.00 GB or RAM

GPU: Nvidia Albatron GeForce 7800GTX
    Bios Version 5.70.02.11.01
    PCI-E x16 @ x16
    Memory Type: GDDR3
    Memory Size 256MB
    Driver Version nv4_disp 6.14.11.8585(ForceWare 185.85)/XP64

MOBO: Asus P5ND2-SLI Delux
    RAM: 4 GB DDR2 776 Albatron

If you have any suggestions or ideas please post them. I need my computer but I don't have the money to just buy a new one or fix everything, especially if its something easily fixed. Thank you for your time and effort. Again, I apologize if I should not post this type of problem on these forms.
    Reason and justice tell me there's more love for humanity in electricity and steam than in chastity and vegetarianism.  ~Anton Chekhov

#2 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Build UBCD4Win on another computer (32 bit XP) and enable multiboot plugins and memtest. Burn UBCD4Win ISO to CD/DVD and use it to boot your x64 machine and run memtest from the menu options.

I am guessing your problems are memory related.

#3 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip
        • Interests:Game-Design, Gaming, Writing, Novels, TV, Media, Women, Digital Art, Graphic Design, Massage Therapy, Massages, World of Warcraft, WoW, Blizzard, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Xbox, PlayStation, WII, PSP, Nintendo DS, Castle Age.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

The only other computer I have access to is Vista Home 32-bit SP1. Memory is the only thing I keep coming back to as well but the Windows Memory Test came up clean on 2 passes. So very frustrating. Thank you so much for your input!
        Reason and justice tell me there's more love for humanity in electricity and steam than in chastity and vegetarianism.  ~Anton Chekhov

#4 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Building should work on Vista 32bit but the source files need to be XP or Server 2003, you can look for a trial version of Server to download if need be.

#5 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

Alright, can't find a 2003 Server Evaluation copy, keeps giving me (Has Expired) but I found a copy of Win XP x32 (Upgrade). Would that have the files needed to build or would it have to be the full version?

#6 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

That should be fine
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#7 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

You'd need the full CD or image to get it working. Microsoft had a 2003 30 day eval available not too long ago, has this vanished?

#8 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Looks like it's no longer available: http://www.microsoft...al/default.mspx

Your 32-bit XP upgrade should work though.
                  If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#9 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

http://technet.micro...r/bb430831.aspx

#10 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hehe, we were posting at the same time, TY i will try with the upgrade.

#11 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

Used the upgrade, burned with Nero, booted from disc, ran memory test and it got to 14% and crashed...dose that mean it is my memory? I thought the memory test stopped it from crashing while you tested it so you could see what memory caused the crash. If not then I suppose I need to cycle my sticks.

#12 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Does it crash at 14% everytime you run it?

Have you made sure all fans (CPU, PSU, CASE, etc...) are clean and working properly?

Did your friend actually see a bulging/leaking capacitor or were they just guessing?

Do you have extra parts (RAM, CPU, PSU, Video Card, etc...) that you can use for troubleshooting?

Try testing only one stick or RAM at a time.

Try testing RAM with all PCI/PCI-E cards removed and all USB/Firewire devices disconnected.

Are you overclocking your CPU?

#13 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Ran it 3 more times Crashed at 1% Pass 45% test 3 times in a row...Removed my 3rd stick of RAM and ran again. This time the Pass got all the way through with 0 Errors. Not sure about these.
                            L1 cache 16k 22223MB/s
                            L2 cache 2048k 17526MB/s
                            L3 None
                            Memory 3071M 2768MB/s

As for your Questions:
                            Very clean and blown out with Compressed Air.
                            Friend just guessed, I checked them closely with a LED Flashlight and they seem fine.
                            I am not overclocking.

After leaving the 3rd RAM-stick out I tried running a program I knew always crashed my computer but this time the program crashed but not my computer 3 times...I think maybe the files got corrupted from the other crashes and a re-install might fix them but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Re-installing now.

#14 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Are you using memtest? if not what are you using to test the RAM?

#15 User is offline   SulMec Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Ya that's what I used. Memtest 3.0 or 3.5 don't remember...think it was 3.5

• (3 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users