UBCD4Win Forums: 3.5 Loads & Runs Slow On Xp - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3.5 Loads & Runs Slow On Xp love project but load and internet fuction very SLOW

#1 User is offline   shygirl_1963 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

hi - my new ultimate boot cd is painfully slow to load (10 min?) and the internet function is difficult/slow to use (it crashed when i used it at this forum). does this sound right? is the IE supposed to be buggy? that's what i used and i didn't mess with any of the network defaults.

i made the cd using the 3.5 software, and i have windows xp with sp2.

anyone have xp and create something faster/better? how please.

thanks!

PS love this project really, but this version has been difficult (for me) to use.

This post has been edited by shygirl_1963: 07 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

#2 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

Hello,

I suggest enabling the firefox plugin due to IE sucking hard. I am able to reproduce IE crashing when browsing these forums, so I would assume the included version of IE (6) has problems with modern websites.

Is your source i386 directory also XP sp2?

How much RAM does your computer have?

#3 User is offline   johne155 Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

You have to understand that your entire os is being loaded from a cd or dvd drive instead of the hdd. This makes the start up slow for almost any machine. I have always experienced the load time to be slow, but once its up its a wonderful tool for computer repair.

John

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

I really think something is going on also. Is this a really old and out-dated computer?
          I boot UBCD4Win almost daily on a variety of systems and do see it boot really slow on some old computers. I also generally bump up older systems to at least 512MB of memory to help with RamDrive issues, I generally use UBCD4Win for malware cleanup.
          One other thing to consider also is the optical drive. If it is slow, old, or ready to fail.....it will cause boot problems also.

As for Internet being slow or bad, I honestly do very very little with IE or FF. I always have my laptop on my side so I do not need it from UBCD4Win.
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

#5 User is offline   shygirl_1963 Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on 07 December 2009 - 05:01 PM, said:

I really think something is going on also. Is this a really old and out-dated computer?
            I boot UBCD4Win almost daily on a variety of systems and do see it boot really slow on some old computers. I also generally bump up older systems to at least 512MB of memory to help with RamDrive issues, I generally use UBCD4Win for malware cleanup.
            One other thing to consider also is the optical drive. If it is slow, old, or ready to fail.....it will cause boot problems also.

thanks so much everyone for the responses. my computer is the T3985 emachines, purchased new in 2005. RAM is 512MB. i386 directory i assume is xp sp2 since i never installed sp3 anything. the optical drive "has" been problematic. it doesn't burn or read dvds anymore and it's a cd/dvd drive. i guess that's the problem. damn. well, at least i know now.

(i did make another cd with firefox instead and that works fine. thanks again for a great project).

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users