UBCD4Win Forums: Strange Issue - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strange Issue UBCD4win boots fine on one machine, not on another identical machine

#1 User is offline   najones111 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

I just bought 4 computers (Lenovo G550 2958) and want to boot off of the UBCD4win so I can use the selfimage plugin to clone the drive to a SMB share, and write it to the other machines. I will admit, these machines are cheap ($400), the almost-bottom of the line value series from Lenovo (there is a 350 series as well).

I downloaded UBCD4win and successfully created a CD. It will boot OK off of one of the laptops, without any errors and is repeatable. On another one (once again repeatable), I receive an error "nu2menu.exe not found", after which when I try to run Joshua's pre-shell (UBCD4win-auto) I get "Run-time error '6': Overflow" and then a blue screen where I must hold the power button. Yet another identical (ie. model numbers are identical, BIOS and BIOS version identical, I'm checking on DVD drive firmware) machine boots the CD fine, but when trying to load RocketDock.exe, it will claim "not a valid win32 application" and just now, when trying to run it from an Explorer.exe I get "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006).

I have tested the RAM with Memtest86 version that comes on UBCD4win 3.5 and it reports no errors (what else does UBCD use, hard drive?, could memtest not be testing all my RAM? It reports 3GB which is what they have.. Windows 7 home boots on all the machines fine and runs fine, and there is no indication of a hardware defect, although it seems the only possible explanation based on the tests I've run. I've burnt 3 different UBCD4win's, 2 CD's and one DVD, they all behave the same so please don't waste the forum's time with suggestions about media and burning software (I see people suggest this when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Naj

This post has been edited by najones111: 10 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

PE has absolutely no error correction at all, so just because a real windows install works fine, this does not rule out hardware failure on some level.

Some things that cause this error are...
      - Bad Media or bad Burn. (Yes, and I actually do know what I'm talking about."
      - Bad Optical drive or ribbon connector. (Not likely a ribbon since your talking laptops this time.)
      - Bad caps on the mainboard. (Remove cover and inspect for bulging or leaking capacitors.)
      - Overclocked Bios Settings.
      - Bad Memory... You have one that works, try swapping that memory to a different machine and see if it boots.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

Page 1 of 1
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users