• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Installing App Into X: ?

#1 User is offline   tgm1024 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

[Very sorry if this is too fundamental a question to avoid public caning.]

There are times when I have an application install exe, say on a memory key, and would like to install it into my currently booted up UBCD4Win XP system, without having to remake a new UBCD4Win CD first.

1. Can I install any program into the ramdisk (I believe that is mapped to X: by default) and will be "behave" if so?
    2. Some installations require a reboot. If this is the case, does UBCD4Win have a soft reboot mechanism that maintains state of the ramdisk?

Thanks!

PS. Realworld example. There is a particular partition-fixing program that I need to have running on a system bootable only with UBCD4Win. It is an install-only app (no barebones .exe option).

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

View Posttgm1024, on 16 December 2009 - 06:17 PM, said:

1. Can I install any program into the ramdisk (I believe that is mapped to X: by default) and will be "behave" if so?

In most cases, NO. The ramdrive is mapped to b: in most cases unless you have modified the build and most programs that install themselves also copy files to the system directories which are all located on read-only media, unless your using a usb device to run the build from, and even then the registry changes will not survive a reboot without manually saving and reloading them upon next boot.

2. Some installations require a reboot. If this is the case, does UBCD4Win have a soft reboot mechanism that maintains state of the ramdisk?

NO

PS. Realworld example. There is a particular partition-fixing program that I need to have running on a system bootable only with UBCD4Win. It is an install-only app (no barebones .exe option).

Your joking right?

Real world examples implies an actual program name, and not just some vague reference to some particular partition-fixing program.
      You will need to acquire (or create) a bartpe plugin for the "Realworld" program who's name you neglected to mention.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   tgm1024 Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:52 AM

View Posthilander999, on 16 December 2009 - 10:11 PM, said:

Your joking right?

Real world examples implies an actual program name, and not just some vague reference to some particular partition-fixing program.
        You will need to acquire (or create) a bartpe plugin for the "Realworld" program who's name you neglected to mention.

Condescension is neither helpful, appreciated, nor warranted. Knock it off. I left the name of the application off because I wish that part of the real-world example to be variable. You answered the question by expressing the need to find or create a plugin, and that was without knowing the specific application. That alone shows that my question is answerable without further specification.

Your answer could well have been "move the installation into the ramdisk first, execute it, throw some magic ubcd switch, and run it. if it doesn't require reboot it will be effectively installed for the session."

Whether or not it fully fits "real world" criteria is irrelevant. Drop the phrase if it makes you feel better.

I wasn't rude in my question; don't respond with rudeness.

#4 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

View Posttgm1024, on 17 December 2009 - 01:52 AM, said:

View Posthilander999, on 16 December 2009 - 10:11 PM, said:

Your joking right?

Condescension is neither helpful, appreciated, nor warranted. Knock it off. I left the name of the application off because I wish that part of the real-world example to be variable. You answered the question by expressing the need to find or create a plugin, and that was without knowing the specific application. That alone shows that my question is answerable without further specification.

Your answer could well have been "move the installation into the ramdisk first, execute it, throw some magic ubcd switch, and run it. if it doesn't require reboot it will be effectively installed for the session."

Whether or not it fully fits "real world" criteria is irrelevant. Drop the phrase if it makes you feel better.

I wasn't rude in my question; don't respond with rudeness.

When you read something, it's your right to make it sound to yourself, any way you want... including condescending or rude and my post was neither.
          Your answer lies within the last sentence, which you overlooked since you have already felt as you were being judged by your lack of providing enough information for anyone to ever be able to help you.

There are literally thousands of plugins floating around for most popular software titles, and if you can't find one that has already been created, you will have to make one yourself or enlist the help of someone who is capable of building the plugin you need for this program who's name you still fail to post.

Plugins contain anywhere between 12 and 50,000 lines of code depending on the complexity of the program or function you are trying to port to a PE build. Some will take 5 minutes to write, some may take many years.

The list of people willing to help you shortens every time you over react to someone who was trying to help you.
          Good luck on your quest to build the nameless plugin for your bartpe.

END OF LINE
          Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#5 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Before this gets out of hand, I am just going to close this.
            The "real world example" stuff is honestly bullshit. He answered your question honestly and explained how it works. You do not understand how it works and you do not like our answer. Since you want to act like this, I really just suggest you go away. We have no problem helping people as long as they are polite and ATTEMPT to understand what we are talking about. He explained how it works and evidently you do not like the answer. Every program is different!!! I think that is covered in Computers 101??
            "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users