• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Make Xp System Bootable?

#1 User is offline   paulk Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

Hi;

I have a working computer, XPsp3, with a complicated setup. I've got a version of Linux installed, and so the computer starts with the GRUB loader. XP itself is installed in the E:/ drive, with C: essentially just data (actually another unused install of XP).

I would like to eliminate Linux & GRUB from this machine, wipe the unused install of XP on C, and just boot automatically into the XP installed on the E:/ drive.

Everything works now, it's just inconvenient and takes up disk space. So I would like to take my time and not start messing with it until I know exactly the steps to take to make sure I make the change painlessly.

I'm guessing I need to leave ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini in the C:/ root directory, and rebuild the MBR somehow. What's the best way to rebuild the MBR? fdisk /mbr?

I'd be equally happy keeping GRUB as the boot loader if I can go ahead & delete the Linux partition, but I don't know to do that.

Anyway, any help/tips/guidelines appreciated.

Paul

This post has been edited by paulk: 26 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Is your XP (E:) located on a hard drive by itself? or is E: a partition on the same drive as your current C: drive?

I would swap the cables (or bios boot order) to make E: your first physical hard drive enabling it to boot as designed.
      Swap E: to Drive C: and run FIXBOOT FIXMBR from the command console and it should boot normally, then you can decide what to do with the remaining partitions and the data they contain.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

Page 1 of 1
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users