UBCD4Win Forums: Greatly Needed Tool For The Cd: Freefilesync - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greatly Needed Tool For The Cd: Freefilesync

Poll: Do we need FreeFileSync on the CD?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do we need FreeFileSync on the CD?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Grateful Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

A while back, I came across a situation where UBCD4Win saved my cookies again. This time, my system drive was on the fritz. My computer was developing ever more errors in chkdsk, and finally was taking 25+ min to boot up. I booted onto my CD, and used HDTune to find out that my system drive had significant S.M.A.R.T. errors; and searching online using FireFox, I found out that I could expect things to get worse relatively quickly.

My situation then was this: I had made a backup of my personal documents months ago, and not many had significant changes since then. That being said, I wanted to keep the changes I did have. Before replacing my system disk, I wanted to copy the files I had to a folder on a good disk. Every time I tried to do it, the buggy disk would intermittently generate an error. A further attempt to copy would at first zip through the files that were still in memory cache, but copying a folder with many subfolders and large files soon broke that scheme too. I needed something that would either retry a copy, or copy the files that were not yet copied to a good drive, and ignore the others. I found FreeFileSync at SourceForge. It does those things, and can also refresh only newer files. I was able to get it to keep trying, until I'd gotten all my necessary files backed up.

I figure this is a not entirely uncommon situation: a HD is failing S.M.A.R.T. tests, and somebody is having trouble getting files off of it before it is totally kaput. FreeFileSync does this admirably. Also: 1) It is small. The necessary files, when uncompressed, are only 1.54 MB. 2) It is free. It has a GPL license. These things made me think it would be an excellent addition to the UBCD4Win. So there you go. I am not too inclined to follow this up much, as my problem is solved, and others can find it and download it like I did. Still, a fairly common reason for using the UBCD4Win is that a drive is failing; and in such a case, the files might need something better than windows, which gives up upon the first problem it encounters in copying a folder. Do with this idea what you will, and debate it among yourselves, but my contribution here is observing that I think this would be a really great candidate for inclusion.

Cheers,
    JohnC

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

You may want to look at Unstoppable Copier that is already included with the project and is also good for the situations like you mentioned.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

Also testdisk is a fabulous tool already included in UBCD4WIN that has never failed me on a failing hard drive.

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users