Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Solve .Inf File Error During Buildup

#1 User is offline   jahmaneal Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted Yesterday, 09:51 PM

I TRANSFERED MY WINDOWS XP FILES ON T OMY C DRIVE TO CREATE A BOOT DISK BUT AS SOON AS I CLICK CREATE ISO , WINDOWS ERROR MESSAGE cannot find file, C/xp/i386/layout.inf.
    Prior to this error message I had cannot find c/xp/i386/ntdll.dll but I was able to solve that error. Please do advise if someone has a solution to this fix .

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted Today, 12:29 AM

UBCD4Win requires that you provide the files from a standard XP install CD in order to build and work without errors. Obviously since we also recommend that you copy the files from your XP install CD to the hard drive in a folder such as C"\XPCD or similar, that is also allowed.

That means the files you used were incomplete, altered or not from a standard installation CD. Please note that many computer companies do not include a standard installation CD but instead provide a "recovery" disk instead. Due to the many different methods that these "recovery" disks were made, it is hard to say if you can use the files from one or not.

To recap the requirements... You must use files from a standard XP SP1, SP2 or SP3 disk. You can not alter the files in any way by installing other updates or drivers to the files with the exception of slipstreaming a service pack into them. If altered, it may result in issues during the build or much later after the system is fully booted up and may not be completely obvious until later. Just one example of many issues you could see using an altered set of files is the inability to copy/paste which you wouldn't notice until you attempted to do those actions.

If the files you are using are from a recovery disk set... you may or may not be able to use the following util to make a "standard" disk from. We do not provide any support for the software but we do mention it since it has helped many others previously. In otherwords, if the following doesn't work or you need help with using it, we are unable to assist you ourselves.

Xp-Iso-Builder...

This is a utility that can help create an unattended install Windows CD along with many other features. It can slipstream a Service Pak, convert certain Recover Discs into a XP install CD, customize the install with third party visual styles or use a special theme, as well as other setup customizations. It also allows you to integrate drivers, updates and programs.

I've tested some of the basic features and they do work well... but I can't say how all of them will work. The website is in German but the program also supports English.

http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   jahmaneal Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members

Posted Today, 08:57 AM

Thank you for the info, I certainly will try doing that and will post results if successful.

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users