UBCD4Win Forums: Corrupt Antivirus Files - UBCD4Win Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Corrupt Antivirus Files Problems with Installation

#1 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Posts: 6
    • Joined: 22-August 11

    Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

    I downloaded UBDC4WinV360.exe months ago and finally have had time to try and build it. The problem is that every time I run the UBCD4 Setup Wizard it gets about a quarter of the way through the installation and then starts giving me error messages about any file associated with AntiVirus\Antivir9\Files. The error messages is that the files are corrupted. I temporarily disabled my antivirus program, Grisoft Free AntiVirus, but there was no difference. I have to press the ignore button at least 30 times to try and progress, but I haven't even come close to getting out of all of the files associated with AntiVirus\Antivir9.

    Any suggestions please?


    Thanks
    0

    #2 User is offline   cdob Icon

    • Special Guest
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development
      • Posts: 1858
      • Joined: 19-October 05

      Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

      View PostMJUser58, on 22 August 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

      I temporarily disabled my antivirus program, Grisoft Free AntiVirus, but there was no difference.

      Does this disable AntiVirus fully? Does any part run still?
      Does run another protection software?
      Ask the manufacturer.

      Try boot safe mode.

      Does md5 sum match? http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
      0

      #3 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

      • Newbie
      • Pip
        • Group: Members
        • Posts: 6
        • Joined: 22-August 11

        Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

        Thanks CDOB,

        I think md5 is referring to the HashCheck Tool? The author of the UBCD website mentions this, but there is no clear explanation or what exactly it does or how to use it, at least in what I've read from his website so far.

        And in line of asking a question about a question about a question, can you even use md5 until you've run the UBCD4 Setup Wizard?

        I'm not familiar with all the technicalities of an Antivirus program, but I don't appear to be getting these error messages from Grisoft AntiVirus. And, would an AntiVirus program inform me that a file is corrupt? I'm thinking that possible the HashCheck tool is providing these error messages during installation? I know an antivirus program would tell me if it found a file with an infection, or detected spyware, but doubt whether it would be reporting a file as corrupt.

        By the way my operating system is XP Professional with SP-3.

        Mike

        This post has been edited by MJUser58: 22 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

        0

        #4 User is offline   cdob Icon

        • Special Guest
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development
          • Posts: 1858
          • Joined: 19-October 05

          Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

          View PostMJUser58, on 22 August 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

          I think md5 is referring to the HashCheck Tool?

          A md5 sum is a general approach. Not limited to one application
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum
          http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

          Create a md5sum against downloaded UBCD4Win file.
          Use any operating system you like. There is a implementation always.

          Quote

          The author of the UBCD website
          UBCD is another project. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

          Quote

          And, would an AntiVirus program inform me that a file is corrupt?
          Ask the AntiVirus manufacturer.
          And ask the AntiVirus manufacturer, if his application blocks other applications without user information.
          And corrupts other parts, without user information.
          0

          #5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

          • rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin
            • Posts: 6671
            • Joined: 02-October 05
            • Gender:Male
            • Location:Norman, Ok. USA

            Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

            Antivirus programs look for malicious/infected files... they are not made to look for file or disk corruptions which makes them ( corruptions ) a completely different subject than infections.

            Since I'm familiar with AVG and I know it will prompt the user when an infection is found by default... I suspect the original download is actually corrupted, if so the only solution is to redownload the file again.

            There is a slim possibility that your system has multiple protection software's and the issue is being caused by another, even possibly one that is expired but was not uninstalled. Just in case and so you know, it is recommended to only run one active protection software.
            0

            #6 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

            • Newbie
            • Pip
              • Group: Members
              • Posts: 6
              • Joined: 22-August 11

              Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

              View Postrdsok, on 22 August 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

              Antivirus programs look for malicious/infected files... they are not made to look for file or disk corruptions which makes them ( corruptions ) a completely different subject than infections.

              Since I'm familiar with AVG and I know it will prompt the user when an infection is found by default... I suspect the original download is actually corrupted, if so the only solution is to redownload the file again.

              There is a slim possibility that your system has multiple protection software's and the issue is being caused by another, even possibly one that is expired but was not uninstalled. Just in case and so you know, it is recommended to only run one active protection software.


              Hmmm. I am trying to reply to rdsok, and didn't intend to append to his reply. Strange that this happened.

              Thank you rdsok. I agree with you about the antivirus software not reporting a corrupted file. And I plan on using the HashCheck program as soon as I have time to learn how to utilize it. I will try to download the UBCD file again.

              I often run through the Control Panel's add/remove programs section, and I've never seen another antivirus program in the list of installed programs. And I think it's unlikely, not impossible, that I ever even tried installing another antivirus program. But it is possible that Windows XP might have an indigenous, pardon the spelling, antivirus program installed?

              Thanks,

              Mike

              This post has been edited by MJUser58: 22 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

              0

              #7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

              • rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin
                • Posts: 6671
                • Joined: 02-October 05
                • Gender:Male
                • Location:Norman, Ok. USA

                Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

                There are two Reply's on the forum... the one just below the post in question will include a quote of that post... then the one a bit further down labeled "Add Reply" which doesn't include a quote and is a reply to the thread in general.

                XP ( nor any version of Windows ) doesn't include an antivirus program but many manufacturers will include one when they sell a new system. In addition, there are enough people that are not aware of the "rule" to just run one active protection software and have several installed thinking they are better protected when in fact they are then less protected. I simply mentioned it to "cover all bases".

                I'll repeat what cdob mentioned using different wording...

                Note.... to avoid confusion on what you are refering too..

                UBCD - is a DOS based boot CD with utils to repair / recover computers

                UBCD4Win - is a Windows based boot CD to also repair / recover computers and also can include UBCD with it...


                So when talking about UBCD4Win please don't call it UBCD since that is another project.

                No offence is taken, but the devil is in the details when it comes to defining issues such as this.
                0

                #8 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

                • Newbie
                • Pip
                  • Group: Members
                  • Posts: 6
                  • Joined: 22-August 11

                  Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

                  Thanks again rdsok,

                  And you're right, I didn't catch the nuance of what cdob was trying to tell me about UBCD and UBCD4Win. It is UBCD4Win that I'm trying to get working. I know what you mean when you're asking for accuracy in detailing a problem. I'm helping a friend who is very new to computing get an old Windows 98 machine up and working. She has never owned a computer before, someone donated this one to her. She keeps telling me she's trying to backup the floppy. I patiently try to tell her that a computer cannot backup a floppy. "Please tell me if you're having a problem backing up your hard drive to floppy disks." I didn't realize until you just mentioned it that I was as guilty as she is about not being specific and accurate.

                  I've been around enough to stick to just one antivirus program. Grisoft seems to work for me and that's the only one I have. I'm just counting on the fact that somehow the UBCD4WinV360.exe file got corrupted while downloading. Though, to be honest, I've downloaded plenty of other shareware and have never had this problem. Maybe the HashChecker tool mentioned in the website that I downloaded UBCD4Win from will help me isolate the problem.

                  Mike

                  0

                  #9 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

                  • Newbie
                  • Pip
                    • Group: Members
                    • Posts: 6
                    • Joined: 22-August 11

                    Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

                    View PostMJUser58, on 22 August 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

                    Thanks again rdsok,

                    And you're right, I didn't catch the nuance of what cdob was trying to tell me about UBCD and UBCD4Win. It is UBCD4Win that I'm trying to get working. I know what you mean when you're asking for accuracy in detailing a problem. I'm helping a friend who is very new to computing get an old Windows 98 machine up and working. She has never owned a computer before, someone donated this one to her. She keeps telling me she's trying to backup the floppy. I patiently try to tell her that a computer cannot backup a floppy. "Please tell me if you're having a problem backing up your hard drive to floppy disks." I didn't realize until you just mentioned it that I was as guilty as she is about not being specific and accurate.

                    I've been around enough to stick to just one antivirus program. Grisoft seems to work for me and that's the only one I have. I'm just counting on the fact that somehow the UBCD4WinV360.exe file got corrupted while downloading. Though, to be honest, I've downloaded plenty of other shareware and have never had this problem. Maybe the HashChecker tool mentioned in the website that I downloaded UBCD4Win from will help me isolate the problem.

                    Mike


                    Well, OK, great. I just downloaded md5summer, extracted it to a \Temp file off of my C:\ drive, double-clicked on the .exe file that was extracted, and am now getting a cryptic dialog box with my computer's file structure asking me to "please select the root folder." I click on C:\, I click on the folder that UBCD4Win is saved in, and it doesn't do anything.

                    Am I having a bad day? Or just missing a rather large point?

                    0

                    #10 User is offline   MJUser58 Icon

                    • Newbie
                    • Pip
                      • Group: Members
                      • Posts: 6
                      • Joined: 22-August 11

                      Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

                      OK I got it. The UBCD4WinV360.exe folder I downloaded tonight allowed me to complete UBCD4Win Setup Wizard. Evidently the file I downloaded before really was corrupted. It must be because it's such a large file.

                      BTW, I was right about one thing. It only performs a HashCheck after completing the UBCD4Win Setup Wizard.

                      One good thing, I'm tired of having to type UBCD4Win over and over again. I'm a good typist but that sequence gnarls my fingers.

                      Mike

                      0

                      #11 User is offline   pcuser Icon

                      • Project Programmer
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Moderator & Development
                        • Posts: 4406
                        • Joined: 20-November 04
                        • Gender:Male
                        • Location:Kneebrasskee

                        Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

                        Thanks for reporting back. I like reading follow up posts like these because it proves to me that I saved someone hassle by inventing and implementing HashCheck.

                        Quote

                        BTW, I was right about one thing. It only performs a HashCheck after completing the UBCD4Win Setup Wizard.

                        HashCheck is ran during the UBCD4Win installation and setup will fail if HashCheck fails.
                        0

                        Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic

                        1 User(s) are reading this topic
                        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users