UBCD4Win Forums: very odd issue Broadcom NetXtreme Nic works as long as I dont click apply - UBCD4Win Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

very odd issue Broadcom NetXtreme Nic works as long as I dont click apply

#1 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:09 PM

1. Boot a clean ubcd4win 2.55
    2. Click yes to start network support
    3. Click ok to DHCP
    4. It finds my Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    5. I leave defaults of auto and click apply

For some reason on the latest ubcd4win 2.55 I get the following error if I click apply to the dhcp network settings.

An error occurred while reinitializing network adapters.
    The application will exit now.

If I click on ok instead of apply I do not see the error but my network card disappears.

What is even more odd is if I do not click anything and instead just leave the PE network config open, then everything works. I have an IP from my dhcp, internet works, firefox loads etc.

But if I click ok or apply I am hosed???

I am now down to a vanilla ubcd4win 2.55 and still same issue. My version 2.5 works fine. So I copied the broadcom driver from 2.5 to 2.55 and same still same errors.

I am running on an IBM ThinkCentre 8143-WXA

Any ideas?

Dennis

#2 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

View Postdlevens, on Dec 6 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

1. Boot a clean ubcd4win 2.55
      2. Click yes to start network support
      3. Click ok to DHCP
      4. It finds my Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
      5. I leave defaults of auto and click apply

For some reason on the latest ubcd4win 2.55 I get the following error if I click apply to the dhcp network settings.

An error occurred while reinitializing network adapters.
      The application will exit now.

If I click on ok instead of apply I do not see the error but my network card disappears.

What is even more odd is if I do not click anything and instead just leave the PE network config open, then everything works. I have an IP from my dhcp, internet works, firefox loads etc.

But if I click ok or apply I am hosed???

I am now down to a vanilla ubcd4win 2.55 and still same issue. My version 2.5 works fine. So I copied the broadcom driver from 2.5 to 2.55 and same still same errors.

I am running on an IBM ThinkCentre 8143-WXA

Any ideas?

Dennis

Try disabling the 911 plugins and rebuild the ISO without them. They seem to cause problems with some NICs'.
      Tom K.

#3 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

[/quote]

Try disabling the 911 plugins and rebuild the ISO without them. They seem to cause problems with some NICs'.
        [/quote]

Well I disabled the two 911 plugins and still same problem. Going to disable all plugins next and will post back.

Dennis

#4 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

well I am at a loss. I removed all plugins except geoshell and nu2menu and penetcfg and I still get the error. I tried 3 different versions of the drivers, the broadcom that comes with version 1.6 of drivers, the driver that comes from IBM site and is made for this exact ibm thinkcenter and the driver that came with version 2.5 of the ubcd and all 3 give the same freakin error. What else could this be?

All of the changes and modifications to the ubcd happen inside the plugin and drivers folder right? Is there any other files or locations where changes are made?

I hate wasting time on a cd that is supposed to save me time, the amount of time I kill troubleshooting building these all in one solutions, I could have rebuilt what ever pc I need to fix like 10 times over. The insert for linux just works, for all my systems and nic cards. f***ing microsoft windows.

Dennis

#5 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
          • PipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: 911Cd Forum Guru

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:48 PM

if you would like ot beta test let me know And I'll send you the link to a driver pack I have been working on. It combines the ubcd4win drivers and the older bts driver packs into a single set.

Let me know.

#6 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

sounds good to me, I sent you a pm

Dennis

#7 User is offline   fred-d Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:55 AM

View Postdlevens, on Dec 8 2005, 04:19 PM, said:

sounds good to me, I sent you a pm

Dennis

I experienced the same problem. I thought it was the driver for the nic. so here's what I did. I opened the box and threw in an intel pro nic. my thought was that one of these was going to work and I thought it would be the intel card. that being my thought, I unplugged the broadcom from the network and moved the cable to the intel card. little lights, all nicey nicey..

well, I booted up the machine with the cd, went through the netconfig wizard like I usually do.

the intel card was disabled like the broadcom was by itself. and the broadcom nic was working... go figure.. the next test I'm going to do is to remove the intel card, boot it up with the network cable disconnected, and then plug it into the broadcom..

#8 User is offline   fred-d Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:10 PM

hi,

I found that if I cancelled out of that screen, both nic cards worked like a charm...

so there's something that runs when the apply or ok is clicked that breaks it. its like the drivers are installed already, they've pulled a dhcp address already, and then when we hit apply or ok, it tries to do it again and gums it up... seems like there is a conflict there, but I don't know enough to know what I don't know, ya know?

any other thoughts??

Fred

#9 User is offline   richard612 Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hi All,

Same problem on a Dell X300. If I ignore the PE Network Configurator, my Broadcom B57x works perfectly.

If I hit OK or Apply on PE Network Configurator, it somehow "corrupts" the networking. It states "an error occurred while reinitializing network adapters". Device Manager will show a "!" on the NIC with "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver in still in memory."

Why does PEnetcfg reload the device driver? If I build a new CD without PEnetcfg, is there some other tool I can use to configure networking?

#10 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
                    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

we are currently beta testing ubcd4win 3.0 and this is fixed in this release. There are a few reasons for this issue. Sorry for any problems but I think you all will be happy with 3.0 when it is released.

#11 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Banned

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

View Postwebmedic, on Dec 15 2005, 12:57 PM, said:

...and this is fixed in this release (beta). There are a few reasons for this issue.

Why not clue us in as to the reason(s), when it had not existed previously? This will help us all to learn what types of things to look for when troubleshooting..

DW

:)

#12 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
                        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

it has to do with the start up order being wrong and the mmc plugins. Thats why they usually tell you to shut off the 911 mmc and log plugin but it is really a little worse than that. And since I assume it would be a little much for the average user to take care of it's not something everyrbody would be able to take care.

And the last reason is I dont usually answer these questions since I actually use trustyboot cd. I did however want them to know there is hope since I had not seen anybody else here comment on this post.

#13 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • Group: Admin

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, basically have fun dissecting the next release of the project Digi! :)
                            We are changing a lot and including a lot of new stuff!!

I really hope people do not think we are "stringing them along" here but with everything we are doing it's taking a lot of testing. If I would have had more time today I would probably be releasing Beta4 today!! A lot of progress is being made and now all we really have to do is make decisions on a few things. I'm still hoping for a Christmas release, but man that's only 10 days away!!

To elaborate with webmedic a little more. Yes I agree, it would be very difficult for us to explain all the changes necessary for that NIC to work. It's a colaboration of several tools, plugins, and/or settings.
                            "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#14 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
                              • Group: Donators

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

Well, I don't know about any of the others that joined this project not having a clue, but I think it's a good practice to let us more unfortunate struggle a little working through all this programing mumbo-jumbo. I can tell you that I have really learned a lot and even surprise myself at times building the CD and slipstreaming the OS... :)
                              Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

#15 User is offline   FLM Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

View Postwebmedic, on Dec 15 2005, 06:57 PM, said:

we are currently beta testing ubcd4win 3.0 and this is fixed in this release. There are a few reasons for this issue. Sorry for any problems but I think you all will be happy with 3.0 when it is released.

Can we solve the problem if we use an older version (2.4, ...), or does the problem exist already longer.
                                My wife had this problem with a thinkpad (R52 i think). She needs a ghost of it and the driver always gives problems. I tried the folowing things:
                                1) driverpack 1.6
                                2) original driver from broadcom
                                3) driver from IBM
                                4) autodriver (from reatogo)

All these things didn't work.
                                So if i understand well, we only have to cancel the network config screen?

Frank

This post has been edited by FLM: 16 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users