Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

firefox plugin not working

#1 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:04 AM

Where can I find a clean stable firefox plugin with no extensions and no bookmarks? The 1.0.7 plugin is not working, opens up to a blank screen on first load because it wants to upgrade the plugins. Who needs dictionary on a rescue cd when you can just go to dictionary.com, a clean no frills browser that works would be preferred I think for a rescue cd.

Dennis

#2 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator
      • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

DW Opera's Plugin

DW Firefox plugin

If you know what you are doing you can simply remove the extensions from the plugin are rebuild the sfx.

How to build a SFX
      RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#3 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
      • PipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: 911Cd Forum Guru

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:29 AM

I also just released an opera plugin that works by sfx ing itself at build time. It is easy to modify and then you let the builder do the rest.

It also works from the proper folder. and dig's will only work from the root of your ramdrive.

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.or...linux/PE/extras

I was considering doing a k-melion and firefox plugins if anybody was interested.

#4 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

webmedic, can you do a clean no extension super lite firefox extension? I would love it. The link above DW Firefox plugin is the one that comes with the ubcd and does not work. On first load you get a blank screen, so you close it and load and again and sometimes it works. It hangs because firefox wants to upgrade the plugins. I cannot see any need or reason to add the 6 extensions that were added in that build, all they do is screw things up by adding those. Its always the bloat that ruins a good thing. We need small, fast, and solid for a rescue cd, not the frills and bloat. MHO of course.

Dennis

#5 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

:DPatience my son.

FireFox is NOT the "holy grail." There seems to be a lot of "misleading" going around about it. Many others have proclaimed this in the past. However, with this new 1.5 release, it's bad memory mgmt., etc. .....I honestly probably won't be using it anymore.

If you TRUELY want something "lite", you would use Opera!

BTW- the patience thing. Please just be patient, the next version of the project will be released soon!!
            "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#6 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Banned

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

View Postdlevens, on Dec 9 2005, 09:48 PM, said:

...The link above DW Firefox plugin is the one that comes with the ubcd and does not work. On first load you get a blank screen, so you close it and load and again and sometimes it works... I cannot see any need or reason to add the 6 extensions that were added in that build, all they do is screw things up by adding those. Its always the bloat that ruins a good thing. We need small, fast, and solid for a rescue cd, not the frills and bloat. MHO of course.

Dennis

A couple points of clarification:

The Firefox plugin that comes with UBCD4Win is NOT my plugin but a modified version... my "pure" version as posted in the above link and elsewhere on this board (HERE) works perfectly for hundreds/thousands of users.

As well, if you had read post #18 in my Firefox plugin thread, you'd have seen that my plugin is also 100% completely customizable - that is, install the plugin in the usual fashion, build and burn your ISO, boot to your PE disc, and run Firefox. Customize it to your personal liking. Examine your PE disc with an Explorer-clone app, and you should see a folder: x:\Programs\FirefoxPE\Firefox.SFX.Maker. Inside that folder on your disc is Make.Firefox_SFX.cmd. When you run this file it will MAKE a new FirefoxPE_SFX.exe and place it in the root of your RAMDrive (B:\) to do with as you wish (most people would want to save it to their hard drive in the FF plugin folder for future use).

The customized "Firefox maker" assumes you have WinRAR on your PE build - see SET WINRAR=X:\Programs\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe. Of course, change the drive letter/path to where your version of WinRAR resides (including your hard drive). My Opera plugin is customizable in the same fashion. That's the beauty of plugins as utilized by PE Builder - if you don't like the way someone has set up their version of plugin "x" you can easily modify it to your personal preference.

WinRAR questions and answers you may have can be found HERE.

One more slight correction:

@webmedic
              None of my plugins run from the root of the RAMDrive - they all run from their own independent folders - b:\Opera or b:\Firefox for example. The customization routine also uses the browser settings as found in your PE build that is actually running in the RAMDrive, and not settings as found on your hard drive. I would be hard-pressed to imagine that most folks would want the same browser settings as found on their hard drive to be running in PE.

DW

:)

#7 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Sweet, exactly what I needed. Making a customized opera and firefox now. Curious, has anyone gotten seagate online seatools working? You cannot install on the fly when booted to the CD so I am trying to figure out how to get it working. I have the plugin and the seatools install from a working system, but having trouble making it work. I also noticed that when I type set from a cmd prompt that I see

ProgramFiles=%ProgramFiles%

when I load the seatools online I notice that in the opera plugin folder it creates a folder %ProgramFiles%

if anyone has figured this out or is willing to take a shot I think it would be beneficial to add.

Dennis

#8 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Banned

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:26 AM

View Postdlevens, on Dec 10 2005, 12:52 AM, said:

Sweet, exactly what I needed.

FYI: You may want to check out THIS updated thread. It has what you're looking for (insofar as FF is concerned). Updated to v1.5.

DW

:)

#9 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

The firefox and opera are working perfectly now. Small, lite and fast. Extremely well done with the build the sfx package option.

Dennis

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users