• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using VMware Player to boot an UBCD4Win ISO

#1 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

I must first thank pcuser for finding all of this out... he came up with the links to the program that makes this possible and also explained how to do the initial setup.

The following will create a basic Virtual Machine with just support to boot the CD. I've also added an ethernet adapter just for kicks so you can do basic tests in the VM.

1. First you need to get the VMware Player from http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

2. Then get VMX Builder from http://petruska.star...are/VMware.html

3. Install both.

4. Create a directory for your Virtual Machine to run from... say C:\MyVM or similar

5. Start VMX Builder and click the "Create New Virtual Machine" button

6. Select your folder you created in the Folder area and then also reselect it as the Working Directory.

7. Click the Hardware tab to select it.

8. Click Add.. then select Network Adapter.

9. Click Add.. again select DVD/CD-Rom drive.

10. Select "Use ISO Image" and browse to your UBCD4WIN.ISO file.

11. Select the second radio button in the Node area and select IDE 1:0

11. Optionally, select the amount of memory you want your VM to use or leave it at 128.

12. Click the Save button.

Now navigate to the directory you created, click on the VMX file that was made, VMware Player should start up.

Things to note.

If VMWare Player states that it can't find the boot disk... on startup, select the ESC key and select to boot the CD from the list.

If you close the VMWare Player window, it will save the state its in and you can return to exactly where you left off next time you run this VM. If you select the Shut Down from the Start Menu, it will "boot" just as if you were starting your computer up.

There are a lot of other options that I didn't cover... creating shared directories and many others so play with it all you like to see what it can really do.

I've also noted that VMX Builder, on my system, will occasionally corrupt the VM if you edit it several times... just delete the files and start a new one if this happens.
    Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#2 User is offline   smiley Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:57 AM

Goosd work, thanks.

The VM acts like a real PC, so you can change the boot order in the virtual BIOS.
      Look at the start screen.

VMX Builder leaves a backup of the edited file, you can recover the last state.

If you choose "bridged" networking in the player menu, you have
      "safer surf" in a own machine, the disadvantage is that your firewall
      has to be adjusted to pass the "transit packages".

This post has been edited by smiley: 03 January 2006 - 05:00 AM

#3 User is offline   cabbie Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

Some good VMWare resources are:
        virtualization.info - The blog about virtualization technologies, products and market trends

How to launch ISO and use LiveCDs inside VMware Player

From VMWare

VMware Technology Network (VMTN) has a link to their Forums
        Vendor created virtual machines
        Community Virtual Machines

The player is nice but if you have the $200 for the full version it is well worth the money. If you are in the IT industry or just want to run a variety of operating systems(great for running a Honeypot or virtual Domains ...) it sure beats having a dozen or more machines in the basement. I would not do any beta testing without it, I could care less if if the VM blue screens I just replace it with the backup copy and best of all my main machine is never down. One warning if you are going to run several virtual machines at a time, 2Gigs is good but if you have a workstation that can take 4Gigs you can run your own virtual networks/Domains for testing.

This post has been edited by cabbie: 29 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

#4 User is offline   steje Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

This is ALL good info for people that want to know more...

For those who are intrigued by cabbie's belief in the virtues (no pun intended) of the 'full' version of VMware, EMC has recently released their VMware 'Server' edition as freeware. If you've read about other 'editions' of VMware - know that this is basically a renamed update of their VMware GSX Server product... Good times!

#5 User is offline   JCSullivan Icon

• PipPip

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Thank you RDSok and PCUser this thread tutorial was extremely helpful to me.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users