• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 2.6

#31 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
    • Group: Donators

Post icon  Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

View Postthomasjk, on Jan 18 2006, 01:35 PM, said:

I rebuilt the V2.6 CD with the latest RC using the V1.6 drivers and BPE 3.1.9. I disabled the 911 MMC plugin since this caused me issues before. The build was clean. I added a Firefox 1.5 plugin from Bart's website. This plugin works fine under the project. I did notice that the Firefox plugin included with the project says Firefox 1.0.6 in the Pebuilder plugin list when its actually V1.0.7. Very minor issue. The limited testing I did showed no issues. In the V1.6 driver pack Nforce4 folder I made a copy of the bcdo1.dll and renamed it bcdo1ins.dll and the build ran with no errors. I've only tested on my laptop so far. I can't test on my desktop right now because of a broken keyboard.

So far it looks good. Keep up the good work Ben. Go Steelers and Panthers! :clapping:

Since there's no such thing as a stupid question, what is an RC that's in these posts?
    Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

#32 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

Release Candidate.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#33 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: Donators

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jan 18 2006, 07:38 PM, said:

Release Candidate.

10-4. thanks...
        Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

#34 User is offline   ComputerBob Icon

• Pip
          • Group: Members

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jan 17 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

RC3/4 is being uploaded to the mirrors. It will take me a few hours to get it up to all of them. I really hope and trust that this will be the final release and I will announce it on the site soon. Basically when most mirrors are uploaded to and I have modified the "how to", "list of tools", "news", and "faq" pages on the site.

All mentioned problems (in this thread) have been corrected and a few others that beta testers have reported in the Beta Area of the forum. So this version SHOULD be good to go!!

View PostWhiteZero, on Jan 17 2006, 06:25 PM, said:

Error: cannot find file: H:\pebuilder319\drivers\Net\Nvidia\nForce4\AMD\bdco1ins.dll
          Error: cannot find file: H:\pebuilder319\drivers\Net\Nvidia\nForce4\Intel\bdco1ins.dll

:<

I'm just gonna try removing the nvidia folder and see if it builds.

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jan 17 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

Does anyone actually still READ anything anymore, or SEARCH for anything? Seriously... this is getting pathetic and pissing me off...

Sorry, I'm not "an insider" here, so I may be totally wrong -- if so, please accept my apologies for misunderstanding what is going on -- but from my viewpoint as an outsider, it looks like SteelTrepid announced that he was uploading the latest version which contains all the fixes mentioned in this thread, then several hours later, WhiteZero stated that s/he was still experiencing problems with that version, then LittleBUGer got very angry with WhiteZero for not reading this entire thread, when in fact, WhiteZero shouldn't have had to read this entire thread IF the latest version actually did contain fixes to all of the problems mentioned in this thread. If I were WhiteZero, I wouldn't feel like participating in these forums much after being treated like that. In fact, seeing other people treated that way in these forums makes me hesitate to participate in these forums, too, and is the main reason why I haven't posted anything here in the past few months, even though I've read these forums nearly every day.

Because this isn't the only thread here in which users are treated to angry outbursts and foul language. The more time I spend here, the more threads I find in which people are yelled at, made fun of, snapped at, and made to feel stupid. And it seems like I've seen many threads in which the people who work on this project have threatened to quit working on it unless people show them more appreciation or stop reporting bugs, or stop asking for help for things that have already been answered in one of the hundreds of other threads, or start doing more searches, or whatever. I'll probably get yelled at for saying this, but to me, some of you people just seem way too insecure and way too quick to anger, like you consider every suggestion or bug report to be a personal atttack on yourselves. I think this is a great project, but unfortunately, I think many of the messages in these forums probably scare people away, instead of making them want to participate. IMHO.

Again, if I'm misunderstanding the tone of these forums, then please forgive me.

This post has been edited by ComputerBob: 18 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

#35 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

You have a point ComputerBob about how some of us act in the forums. I think sometimes we just think things are more in private than they really are and thus we act out. We probably also release some of our feelings that we are encountering in our real lives out on the forum and others in the forum, which isn't right. I guess we can just try to improve that and say that we never mean to ever scare anyone away. And I think (and hope) that others understand that Steel is just naturally paranoid and so you just gotta not take many things so seriously that he says (well, in some cases... at least that's what I do). :)

Now, as for the new release fixing things, yes it does fix everything, but you are talking about the drivers. The drivers are a completely seperate and optional download. And as you can see, they were NOT updated with this new release, so they still contain the same problem as they did a week ago. They will not be fixed until a new drivers pack is released, which will hopefully be soon (we've been working on completely revamping the drivers pack behind the scenes here, so it's just taking a while). :)

Thus, even though you were right about how we sometimes act, you were wrong about the new release. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
            "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
            "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
            "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
            "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#36 User is offline   ComputerBob Icon

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:55 AM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jan 18 2006, 09:25 PM, said:

....Thus, even though you were right about how we sometimes act, you were wrong about the new release. :)

Ah, that is entirely due to my lack of expertise in the details of this project -- a characteristic that I suspect many of these forums' visitors share, and a characteristic that I hope this project's veterans will keep in mind when they start to feel frustrated by our honest questions. ;)

#37 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

@ComputerBob,

Since I've known you for some time, I hope you don't take my opinion in the wrong way, but here is how I see it...

From the posts I've read from the veterans of the forum, while there are some examples where their frustrations they've shown where inappropriate... but in the example given by you, I feel it was entirely appropriate. The user simply had not even read the thread. The solution for the issue was described on the very same page that the release canidate was mentioned on and then mentioned again on the very page they had made their statement. If this isn't a good cause for showing some frustrations at a user, what is? I find that this is the case in most instances, the user must show some responsibility and read the documentation given.

As another example, probably the number one "offence", if I can use that word, that users have are not even taking the time to read the How to build instructions... even after they may have had errors in a build, they still refuse to look for the information before posting either their issue as a problem or asking for help. Even with that example, the majority of the time they are simply told to read the instructions... most of the time, the responses that I've seen anyway, are very reserved given the situation.

I'll grant you that this is a complex project with about 150 different utilities so it can only be expected that many will get overwhelmed at it, but this doesn't excuse them from reading the information that is obviously posted everywhere. IMO, you've exaggerated the issue in this case and have overlooked the big picture just to point out the few examples of a natural flaw in human nature, a tendency to get irritated when others don't take the time to RTFM ( read the f**** manual for those that don't know that abbreviation ) which is solely their responsibility especially for a product they have received for free.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Bob, do feel free to make counterpoints, I simply think that both sides of the issue should be in the open and I felt this part was left out.

This post has been edited by rdsok: 19 January 2006 - 01:57 AM

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#38 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:21 AM

Please I'm moving this discussion as it has nothing to do with 2.6 and DOES NOT ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO READ THIS TOPIC.

Please continue/finish/end all other discussion here.

#39 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Hi all

I down loaded the second release of ubcd4win V2.6. and built ISO (along with ubcd4win driver pack 1.6)

I like the new desktop wallpaper, most things seem to work and show up on menu except for

(this problem was mentioned before) the following are greyed out under Bart PE / UBCD4win

Malware -> CWShredder
                    Registry Tools -> Erunt
                    Registry Tools -> NtRegOpt

The visibility command in Nu2menu is suposed to make command invisible when not wanted which replaces the greyed out effect when not available.

can you confirm these options are only intended to work under real Windows XP

as this line from cwshredder.cmd seems to be for Bart PE / ubcd4win on CD

xcopy %systemdrive%\programs\cwshredder\cwshredder.exe %temp%\cwshredder\

if intended to run under Bart PE / UBCD4Win

example of cwshredder_nu2menu.xml (options invisible under Win XP)

<!-- Nu2Menu entry for CWShredder -->
                    <NU2MENU>
                            <MENU ID="Malware Tools">                       
                    <!--    <MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN"        VISIBILITY="@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\setupldr.bin)" -->

<MITEM TYPE="ITEM" CMD="RUN"        VISIBILITY="@Shl(@Not(@FileExists(@GetWinDir()\setupldr.bin)),'1')" 

FUNC="@GetProgramDrive()\Programs\CWShredder\CWShredder.exe">CWShredder</MITEM>
                            </MENU>
                    </NU2MENU>

what version / RC version is latest for ubcd4win 2.6 ?

regards
                    Mike Barnes

#40 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

A majority of beta testers and/or users suggested the fact that these tools do not work properly in BPE. So instead of having the items gone. We thought it would be better to have them grey'ed out so people know they are still there, but only available when used on a system running Windows.

Whatever you downloaded from the site is final. To verify you have the latest you need to view the MD5 of the file you have and verify it with what is posted on the site. I really hope I'm done with 2.6 because we need to finish up our work on 3.0 and get that released soon!!! :D
                      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#41 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
                      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

I finally got a chance to run the ubcd4win v2.6 w 1.6 Drivers on my Gateway Desktop with AMD Athlon 600mhz processor. Everything I tested worked OK. I added a Firefox 1.5 plugin from Bart's website. This ran OK too. I hope you plan to include a Firefox 1.5 plugin in V3.0.

Good work guys!
                        Tom K.

#42 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip
                          • Interests:Computers, 3D Animation and Graphics, Gaming

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:38 AM

View Postthomasjk, on Jan 20 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

I finally got a chance to run the ubcd4win v2.6 w 1.6 Drivers on my Gateway Desktop with AMD Athlon 600mhz processor. Everything I tested worked OK. I added a Firefox 1.5 plugin from Bart's website. This ran OK too. I hope you plan to include a Firefox 1.5 plugin in V3.0.

Good work guys!

Just a heads up about this. (Firefox 1.5 Plugin)

I built on the day of release with BPE 3.19 and the latest 1.5 Firefox Plugin with the UBCD4WIN with 1.6 drivers and there is an issue with the plugin of Firefox 1.5. The problem is it will probably work perfectly fine on any system that does NOT use a PROXY Server. If you have to go in and edit any options within Firefox nothing happens because I think it is trying to write back to the CD for a .ini file or something. I tried using it at work where we use a proxy server and I could not edit these settings, it would just let you keep hitting the OK button or APPLY but nothing would happen and you could not leave this screen. As I said it probably will work fine on any system that uses Auto-Detect because by default that is how the plugin is set up but no editing can be done to it. This probably can be fixed easily to have it write to the RAM Drive it's options etc. Just haven't had time to find the file where these edits are made with the browser to point them differently and re-create CD to test. Just thought I'd let you know this tidbit.

This post has been edited by Cellar Dweller: 31 January 2006 - 07:40 AM

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe v2.0 Nforce 2 (1008)
                          AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)
                          Corsair PC3200C2 DDR 400 (3 Gig) (Dual Channel)
                          PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                          Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+
                          (2) 80 Gig Seagate SATA (Non-RAID)
                          Dell 2407 Wide Screen Flat Panel
                          Mad Dog 600 Watt Modular PSU

#43 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
                          • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

View PostCellar Dweller, on Jan 31 2006, 07:38 AM, said:

View Postthomasjk, on Jan 20 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

Good work guys!

Just a heads up about this. (Firefox 1.5 Plugin)

I built on the day of release with BPE 3.19 and the latest 1.5 Firefox Plugin with the UBCD4WIN with 1.6 drivers and there is an issue with the plugin of Firefox 1.5. The problem is it will probably work perfectly fine on any system that does NOT use a PROXY Server. If you have to go in and edit any options within Firefox nothing happens because I think it is trying to write back to the CD for a .ini file or something. I tried using it at work where we use a proxy server and I could not edit these settings, it would just let you keep hitting the OK button or APPLY but nothing would happen and you could not leave this screen. As I said it probably will work fine on any system that uses Auto-Detect because by default that is how the plugin is set up but no editing can be done to it. This probably can be fixed easily to have it write to the RAM Drive it's options etc. Just haven't had time to find the file where these edits are made with the browser to point them differently and re-create CD to test. Just thought I'd let you know this tidbit.

I'm assuming your referring the same plugin I used. Digiwiz also has a Firefox plugin at:
                            http://www.ubcd4win....?showtopic=1690

Maybe this one does not have the same issue?

This issue does not affect my usage because I don't ever go through a proxy.
                            Tom K.

#44 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip
                              • Interests:Computers, 3D Animation and Graphics, Gaming

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

Not really sure which plugin I got. I think I got it from going to a link for plugins from Barts page.

If you could, this is easily tested. If you have time could you give it a shot? It would be greatly appreciated. The only reason I ask is most people that make this disk will be for IT purposes and most use proxy servers at most corporate environments. Sure if a home user makes the disk and has DSL or Cable everything will usually work perfectly fine.

In Firefox, just go to Tools then options when you have the disk booted up, then from here go to General Tab and pick Connection Settings button. Most likely yours is set to Direct Connection or Detect Proxy Settings. Just move this down to Manual Proxy Configuration and throw anything into the box for HTTP Proxy and any port number and check the box use for all. When you click on OK it will just keep letting you hit OK and will not accept ANY changes. Unless DigiWiz set his to write preferences to go to the RAM Drive will it work, most likely. Please let us know the results. Thanks...
                              Asus A7N8X-Deluxe v2.0 Nforce 2 (1008)
                              AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)
                              Corsair PC3200C2 DDR 400 (3 Gig) (Dual Channel)
                              PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                              Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+
                              (2) 80 Gig Seagate SATA (Non-RAID)
                              Dell 2407 Wide Screen Flat Panel
                              Mad Dog 600 Watt Modular PSU

#45 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

Unless DigiWiz set his to write preferences to go to the RAM Drive will it work,

I have not tried out Barts or Digi's plugin yet. I can tell you that Digi makes 99% of his stuff to run from the Ram drive so I'm sure his firefox plugin does also.

• (4 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users