• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help me pick my next usb drive! Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   danielha Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:07 AM

One thing to consider is to buy a 2 1/2 inches hard drive & USB enclosure. If you're lucky enough you may also find & recycle an old laptop hard drive and just need to nuy the USB enclosure. It's bigger than a USB stick but it's so easy to store data :)

daniel

#17 User is offline   Phatsacks Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Donators

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

View Postdanielha, on May 25 2006, 04:07 AM, said:

One thing to consider is to buy a 2 1/2 inches hard drive & USB enclosure. If you're lucky enough you may also find & recycle an old laptop hard drive and just need to nuy the USB enclosure. It's bigger than a USB stick but it's so easy to store data :)

daniel

That is something I considered, but I won't ever carry it around. I have a 3.5 external, that I use for actual backing up large scale drives. The 2gb is just to save a cd or two when needed while out at a customers.

Hopefully people are still reading this, I didn't want to make a new thread:

The flash drive I got was a SanDisk. It comes with the U3 technology preinstalled. U3 is for portable apps, however the biggest thing now about portable apps, is that they are the perfect solution to people who do not have administrative rights on their work computer and thus can not install software. The U3 drives DO! They are portable apps, sure, but they install temp files (but do not delete the directory) to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\U3

What does this mean? It means it won't work on computers that you do not have rights to install software, or if you do have "rights" but are not permitted by company policy, you are violating company policy!

So the solution? Well, first you have to know how U3 works. Since windows XP SP2 does not support autoplay of flash drives (best it can do is prompt for a particular action to take), U3 flash drive manufactures, make the drives with a 4mb CD partition. This however can not be formated through a standard method. So you have to use an unofficially released (although it's offically made by U3) uninstaller. It was distributed to BestBuy's Geek Squad upon request since all drives from SanDisk (new ones) are U3, and they will continue to make only U3 drives.

So, once you use the U3_uninstaller.exe to remove the CD partition, and format the drive, it becomes a normal flash drive. At this point, if you were actually interested in using portable apps, you can take advantage off this site, and download a very nice line of software, mostly newest versions, and also includes Pstart (best start menu software).

Site with descriptions and torrent link of portable app compilation

One note, I suggest deleting the current autorun.inf, or else it will guide you through setting up a secure password to protect your sensitive information. That's fine if that is what you want but everytime you insert it and go to use it, you will have to enter the master password. So deleting it, will (I actually renamed it incase I changed my mind) will prevent this.

This compilation actually has a few useful tools too, like hijackthis, antivirus, a task monitor that can end tasks that you otherwise do not have access to end, a file monitor to see what exe's are using what dll's, and a field of other things. I actually deleted almost all of them, because I have my cd for that stuff, but kept a few. I ended up with about 120mb, and some really useful applications, couple fun games, and even a small handful of tech apps (I didn't delete them all~).

If anyone wants my slimmed down version, please let me know, and I'll upload it to my server.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I almost bought a non retractable 4gb! But am much happier with this 2gb small (micro) retractable cap. Appreciate all the suggestions!
      IPB Image

• (2 Pages)
      • +
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users