• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help me pick my next usb drive! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Phatsacks Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Donators

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

So I have a 512 cruizer micro, that I got for ~$13 bucks after rebate. It has some programs on it, that I commonly install on computers, and is helpful when I don't have my cd case:

Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Moz backup
    Fab's Auto Backup
    AVG
    Ad-aware
    SpyBot
    Service Pack 2 (the space stealer)
    and some others...

I have been wanting to get a larger drive and partition off a rescue "cd" partition (bootable). With Digi's recent plugin, I can actually drop a few of the above programs. However, I also like to use the flash drive for minor backups (word docs, etc). However 512mb just doesn't seem to be cutting it with my current programs, and backups, and especially if I wanted to partition off a section.

So I've decided that I need a new drive. It will probably be in my best interest to wait until July 4th, and snag one then. However, if I can't wait, I have narrowed it down to two:

4GB Cruzer Micro - Retractable Cap

4GB Corsair (very fast and $50 less)

Am I splurging too much? My first drive was only $13 bucks after rebate

Should I be more conservitive and get:
    2gb For much cheaper after rebate

Any opinions are welcome!

Again, I want to partition off a section for booting, maybe some portable apps, and backing up docs/pics when I'm out and don't have CDs or ran out (many other situations can and will arise as well).
    IPB Image

#2 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Banned

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

:)

I've had the Sandisk mini 2GB for a year, and served me very well. Sandisk make the mini and micro - the micro's transfer speed is noticeably slower (the price you pay for smaller size), so I'd get a mini.

Lately, I've seen lots of "famous brand" 2GB flash drives for around $50, all of which I'm sure would serve you well - buy 2 for $100.

To get a 4GB Sandisk (SDCZ2-4096-A10) you're looking at $150 cheapest. Like you said, I think I'd wait for 4th of July sales and pouncing on something then.

As you've probably noticed, you pay a lot extra for a metal case (some claim up to 2000lbs. weight tested)... since I'll be using it to work on computers, and not repairing M1A2-Abrams tanks, I would much rather have twice the memory and risk that my khakis won't cause undo harm to my flashdrive. After a year, neither my khakis nor my T-shirt (when I where it around my neck) has caused any harm ;)

DW

:)

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

I just recently upgraded from a 512 micro to a 1Gig micro. I had been wanting at least a 1 or 2Gig replacement for a while. Luckily I got my $27 Staples reward check the day before their new circular started. After "easy rebate" and the $27 check, I ended up paying about $13 for it!!

I would seriously wait a few weeks and hope for a 2Gig to go on special. However I don't recall seeing any 2Gig's with a sale price yet??? Usually 256, 512, and sometimes a 1Gig.

I'll have to check a few prices for for ya.
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:35 AM

USB thumb drives

Topic I started awhile back on discussion of thumb drives. Check it out. Has some good info. As far as the 2GB vs 4GB you have to decide but if you are just getting dissatisfied with a 512MB then I would say 2GB will do just fine for awhile.

#5 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

As I've said before, the Sandisk Cruzer Titanium is the only one I've ever get. I got the 512MB one a couple of years ago and would not trade it for anything else. It has been absolutely perfect. :)

http://www.zipzoomfl...te=pricegrabber

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
            "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
            "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
            "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
            "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#6 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

My 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro works fine if it's used for installing applications from or backing up small amounts of data but like DW mentioned, you can't copy a 700mb iso image and tell someone "hold on a second while I transfer this file". It's more like "pull up a chair while I transfer this file... How do you take your coffee?"

It's also useless for booting PE. It takes between 12-15 (or more) minutes to boot a basic BartPE depending on the hardware.

I hope it's still under warranty because I can see the contents on it but I can't copy anything to or from it anymore and I can't format it.

I might give the Titanium a try next time since LB talks so highly of it.

@LittlBUGer
              Have you ever used it to boot PE? If so, what kind of a boot time do you get with it?

Tom
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#7 User is offline   Phatsacks Icon

• PipPip

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

View Postpcuser, on May 17 2006, 08:26 PM, said:

My 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro works fine if it's used for installing applications from or backing up small amounts of data but like DW mentioned, you can't copy a 700mb iso image and tell someone "hold on a second while I transfer this file". It's more like "pull up a chair while I transfer this file... How do you take your coffee?"

It's also useless for booting PE. It takes between 12-15 (or more) minutes to boot a basic BartPE depending on the hardware.

I hope it's still under warranty because I can see the contents on it but I can't copy anything to or from it anymore and I can't format it.

I might give the Titanium a try next time since LB talks so highly of it.

@LittlBUGer
                Have you ever used it to boot PE? If so, what kind of a boot time do you get with it?

Tom

Wow that slow? What was the read/write time though? The corsair has some pretty fast speeds, while others such as the newer Transcend are about 4x slower. If it was on the Transcend side, then divide the time by 4, and 3 minutes boot isn't terrible, but yeah, I guess it does cut it the idea out pretty bad when you consider running multiple apps at the same time from within.

And if overall data transfer is that slow, then hell, might as well snag a cheap 1gb, and a cheap 40gb 2.5 usb drive that's obviously bus powered.
                IPB Image

#8 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

The Cruzer Titanium has 15MB/s read and write times, which for me has been plenty fast. And no, I haven't tried booting PE from it yet but sooner or later I will have to see how it works. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                  "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                  "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                  "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                  "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                  "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#9 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:03 AM

The Lexar (Jump Drive Lighting 2GB) unit I have has gotten great reviews on SPEED and I can't say I can complain about it. The only thing on it is I have lost the cap. As this is not a needed item it is really no big deal.

# 2GB

- 24MB per second Read (160X)
                    - 18MB per second Write (120X)

#10 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

Yea, I can't stand capped usb drives. I prefer the retractable ones, and if possible, rugged ones, hence the Cruzer Titanium. :)

#11 User is offline   Phatsacks Icon

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

View PostLittlBUGer, on May 18 2006, 10:31 AM, said:

Yea, I can't stand capped usb drives. I prefer the retractable ones, and if possible, rugged ones, hence the Cruzer Titanium. :)

Yeah, I think this one is the creamy yum yum:
                        2GB Titanium Retractable Link

Since it is backordered:
                        $65 off Ebay for 2GB Retractable

The only thing that bothers me, is for the titanium price, if I drop another 11, I can get the 4GB Corsair, now if I get the 2GB non titanium, it's only $65 and no tax, which is far enough away from $102 so that I probably won't feel guilty about not dropping the extra cash.

I have had my 512mb one for awhile, and never lost the cap (well for more than a couple weeks that is). However my friend completly lost it. So retractables are attractable!

This post has been edited by Phatsacks: 18 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

IPB Image

#12 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

For some stupid reason, I don't like the retractables?? I just don't like the concept for some reason. I really prefer the "capped" ones......however freakout almost constantly fearing I'll lose the cap!! Maybe it's one of my mental disorders disabilities conditions making me always want to be in constant shock and fear?? :rolleyes:
                          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#13 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

Seriously you have to look at a few things. One the retractable piece could wear out over time causing the unit to not hold itself in the case. buger can speak to if this has happened or seems like it is starting to happen to him.

Beyond that really you don't need a cap. Make sure it is not full of dust before plugging it in but really caps are pointless. They may make you feel all warm and fuzzy but seriously no need. It is more cosmetic then anything.

The lexar drive is very durable as it is made of Stainless steal and a small amount of plastic.

I won't deny though the titanium case is awesome just you are paying a prem. As this is more about the wow factor than anything. A nice steel case would more than do.

#14 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

@lawson
                              Yea, the Titanium is a bit more, but it's also durable as hell. When they say it can withstand 2000lbs of pressure, they mean it. I could throw this across the room and stomp on it all I want with no damage whatsoever.

As for the sliding mechanism wearing out, I highly doubt it's possible. Mine has worked just as beautifully as the first day I bought it and there's not way for it to "slide out" or something like that. It's all firmly in the case and a part of the casing so I really don't see any problems here.

And more of the reason I like the retractable then not is not just because of dust or losing a cap, but because of size/space. One with a cap would be generally longer than the Titanium as you can't retract the end. Then on the other hand, the Titanium is also very cool because it GLOWS BLUE when in use! (For those who don't know, I'm a freak about the color blue) :D

#15 User is offline   Phatsacks Icon

• PipPip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Just wanted to say that I snagged this:
                                2gb SanDisk Cruzer Micro, with retractable cap Off ebay for $57 (that is with shipping)

I couldn't find a cheaper price, and the only thing that bugs me is the "amber led". I have the silver/clear sandisk micro cruzer (512mb), and the blue glow that it emits is just amazing. So LB and I can cry, but I still got a 2gb keychain micro with no cap to lose!
                                IPB Image

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users