Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Virus in 3.0?

#1 User is offline   unjust Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

so i just had CRCK_JBEAN.A discovered by trend micro office scan while i was unpacking the new version.

is that an intended software use or is it somethign unhappy in a build?

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

View Postunjust, on Jun 6 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

so i just had CRCK_JBEAN.A discovered by trend micro office scan while i was unpacking the new version.

is that an intended software use or is it somethign unhappy in a build?
      What file is being reported as containg the sample virus? There are many "False Posative" reports about different scanners. The only one I get right now is from the file "NC.EXE" (Netcat) which is reported by Avast.

Verify the MD5 hash of your download & check the file in question with one of the online scanners.

More information can be found here...

http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   unjust Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

keyfinder.exe is the file flagged.

i suspect it's due to the ability to locate windows keys. the "virus" it detected is just that.

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

Keyfinder isn't a virus but it has been flagged as a potential threat by some antivirus and antispyware utils... if you read the info that was provided by your utils you will see it doesn't call it a virus... it is a util to find your Windows key so you can record it or use it to re-install Windows with later. If you had taken the time to read the FAQ that you were directed too, you will note that is even mentioned.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Right. The page hilander directed you to will give you pretty much all the information you need. We explain what files are usually flagged and why they are flagged by AV software.

Most companies will be a bit more sophisticated and use a BETTER term such as "riskware." Simply calling a Product Key Finding Application a Virus in my opinion is just WRONG. The AV companies need to be honest with their consumers instead of acting like "the media" and trying to scare the crap out of everyone!!

Keyfinder is safe and can be EXTREMELY useful if you ever need it.

There are no viruses in this project. Since it could be possible that a mirror get infected, the download gets corrupt during transmittion, etc., .......your best line of defense there is to check the MD5 hash to ensure you get an unmodified copy of this project.

I don't waste $80 a year on the BEST AV software for my 2 computers for no reason! I don't visit pron sites, etc. because MY systems cannot be comprimised. Could you imagine the bad PR if I accidentally uploaded a version of the project that included a real virus??!! That would not be cool at all!
            "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#6 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

if you had taken the time to read the FAQ

Lets not be mean. :no:
              This is a constant topic and sometimes hits a few sore spots as it is something out of our control and has a tendency to scare users for no reason.

Unjust thank you for the information but what I would ask from you is to read the FAQ for your information and also submit this to your AV company and try to get them to remove the warning. They probably won't but it is worth the shot.

#7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

Lets not be mean.

I'm not sure why people now always seem to think that pointing out a person's oversight is mean... it is not and never was meant as mean but not pointing it out would not help in the least and the person would continue making the same mistake in the future.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users