UBCD4Win Forums: NEW!!! How to update the AV Defs/Malware Tools for V3 - UBCD4Win Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NEW!!! How to update the AV Defs/Malware Tools for V3 Last update 11/01/07

#31 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

I wondered who'd be the first to comment :)
    RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#32 User is offline   garlicsalt2 Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Linux; Windows 3.x, 9x/ME, and later; MS-DOS; Palm OS, Pcoket PCs; Embedded Linux based WiFi routers [ http://openwrt.org ]; Networking; PC Repair; Knoppix [ http://www.knoppix.com/ ].

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

This is great! I'm using the PluginUpdate version. (The second option under option #2). I was already think about suggesting something like this, but I had something more in mind for my idea. Yes this would mean more work, so I won't "suggest" that this might be done anytime soon.

Submitted for the approval of the Project Admins:
      A way to update the included plug-ins themselves, such as anti-virus PROGRAM updates, etc. (IE, ClamWin is now at 0.88.5 as of this writing, but the version included with the main download is 0.88.3, I think). This would take some planning first, since most of the new program updates would have to be made into plug-ins, and some of the original updated programs would have a different filename, since they are a different version. (Again, ClamWin as an example). I gave up programming some time ago, so I'm a little rusty at the concepts involved in creating a program, but I think the following method would work:

If an XML or similar file was used to list the latest version of plug-in updates available, then download.exe could check that, and compare it with an XML file that lists the current (local) version of the various plugins. That is, there could be a local "pluginversions.xml" file on the hard drive, and the up to the minute (or whatever) "pluginversions.xml" file on the projects web site. The current version would be downloaded, (Using a different name), and compared to the local version. If a new plugin update was available, then that plugin would be downloaded, and extracted to the approperiate place in the UBCD4WinBuilder's folder tree, optionally removing the existing folder first (controlled by a flag in the XML file). Any post-update scripts would then be executed, etc.

In order for this to work, however, any updated plugins would have to follow a uniform procedure, such as: All updates should be in [ZIP|7-Zip|RAR|etc.] format, and be designed to be extracted from the UBCD4WinBuilder root folder. That means if the affected folder is %UBCD4WIN%/abc/xyz/blah/yada/ then all files inside the update archive would have to be prefixed with these same folders. That way, a simple
      unzip AntiVir-plugin.zip
      would suffice and that's it. Also, by using a custom XML file, arbitrary tags and attributes could be used, and thus the XML structure could be updated as needed. A consistent location for/direct access to the update files would also be needed,

Whew! That's alot of typing! (and alot of reading, heh-heh). Anyway, what are the chances that something like this could be implemented?

Okay. I'll let my fingers rest - for a moment...
      Aaron Outhier

"In today's modern world of Powerful photo and graphics editors, and Peer-2-Peer File-sharing networks, one must beware of "Geeks sharing GIFs". -- Aaron Outhier/GarlicSalt2.

#33 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • Group: Admin

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

garlicsalt2

Well.. some of what you mentioned can be done... some can't but....

Look here first http://www.ubcd4win....hp?showforum=28 ... the pinned posts have the updates for ClamWin and AntiVir.

The ClamWin is limited by what the program itself can do as far as updating... it can't update the version of the program even... so it can't be made to automatically do program updates from the plugin.

Most of the plugins do have the ability to update the virus/malware definitions as mentioned in the FAQ's http://www.ubcd4win....aq.htm#avupdate

They can also be updated from within UBCD4Win if needed.

In addition... the AntiVir plugin can update both definitions and the program from either the UBCD4Win builder plugin module... or while booted from UBCD4Win itself ... the later is required even since the license gets updated if done from there.

So some of the ideas you have mentioned have been addressed already if they were feasible. The places that they weren't feasible would be where the only way to update a program would be if the program was installed on the computer to start with... something we try to avoid where possible.

Randy
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#34 User is offline   garlicsalt2 Icon

• PipPip
          • Interests:Linux; Windows 3.x, 9x/ME, and later; MS-DOS; Palm OS, Pcoket PCs; Embedded Linux based WiFi routers [ http://openwrt.org ]; Networking; PC Repair; Knoppix [ http://www.knoppix.com/ ].

Post icon  Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

View Postrdsok, on Oct 25 2006, 05:08 PM, said:

garlicsalt2

Well.. some of what you mentioned can be done... some can't but....

The ClamWin is limited by what the program itself can do as far as updating... it can't update the version of the program even... so it can't be made to automatically do program updates from the plugin.

Most of the plugins do have the ability to update the virus/malware definitions as mentioned in the FAQ's http://www.ubcd4win....aq.htm#avupdate

They can also be updated from within UBCD4Win if needed.

So some of the ideas you have mentioned have been addressed already if they were feasible. The places that they weren't feasible would be where the only way to update a program would be if the program was installed on the computer to start with... something we try to avoid where possible.

Right, but I was thinking of something like the auto virus defs updater thingie, only it would update the AV Programs also, as well as any other updated plugins that were created for newer software after the most recent release of this project. Currently, one must visit the forums, check what updated plugins are available, download them, figure out into which folder to unpack them, unpack each update into the correct folder, etc., etc. I'm thinking of a solution that involves: Double-clicking an icon, and be done with it (assuming no errors). That's it, no fuss, no muss. I am the first one to point out, though, that making it that easy on the end-user means more work for the developer(s). This is just an "it would be nice if..." idea of mine. A central list of all updates, a one-click method of getting them, more oohs and aahs, less boos and bahs. :clapping::worthy:
          Aaron Outhier

"In today's modern world of Powerful photo and graphics editors, and Peer-2-Peer File-sharing networks, one must beware of "Geeks sharing GIFs". -- Aaron Outhier/GarlicSalt2.

#35 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

Perhaps if the developers were being paid for their work... they could afford to spend the time you are talking about to create these "oohs and ahhs"... but unfortunately we all have to actually make a living first and then we devote the time we can to develop new features etc.

I'm not trying to rant here... but you don't know the time what you are asking would actually take for the number of plugins that they project has not to mention to also develop new features that are more needed than the stuff you are talking about. At this point in time your ideas are unrealistic when you actually understand what resources are needed to do as you are asking.... Or are you volunteering to pay the salaries for all of the developers to quit their real jobs so they can work to add these features? :P
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#36 User is offline   heatmizer Icon

• PipPip

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

It would difficult to be able to update the programs from within ubcd4win. Program version numbers and file names change all the time. It would take a lot of one of the mods free time to try and keep track of every change that happens to programs and incorporate it into ubcd4win. I think releasing updated plugins in the forum is a good way of getting program updates out to the public.

#37 User is offline   garlicsalt2 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Right! I knew that it would take a lot of time and effort. I mentioned that I was submitting an idea, as well as a possible way to make it work. I also mentioned this is just one of my "It would be nice if" ideas. You guys are the admins and moderators. If you like an idea and want to try to implement it, great. If not, no one is going to harass you about it. (At least not if they want to continue to be able to login to the forums :P) This was simply an idea. Maybe it or something similar will be implemented by version 6.8, and maybe not. Then again, plugin development isn't necessarily restricted to just the developers, so this is open to everyone. If someone gets it going, great. Submit the finished plugin and have your 20 minutes of fame. If not, I won't cry. No, I'm not upset, I'm just surprised that some of you seem to think that I was trying to push another project on you. If I wanted it that badly, I'd make the time to get a preliminary test version. I'm pretty good with Linux command shells, and there are versions of Bash, sed, awk, grep, etc. ported to Windows Console. (Many of which are included with the UBCD4Win!). I could possibly whip up something. But I don't have the time or patience either. This was just an idea. If it were implemented, I think it would help. If it is never implemented, then people will have to do updates using the current method.

My main concern, was people who are new to the project and just download the ready-to-run Builder may not know that there are updates available. Then again, if they are new to this project, they probably want it to "Just work". In retrospect, maybe just having a link to a location which has the all of the updates in a single location, already ready for download...
                Aaron Outhier

#38 User is offline   garlicsalt2 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

View Postheatmizer, on Oct 26 2006, 07:51 PM, said:

It would difficult to be able to update the programs from within ubcd4win. Program version numbers and file names change all the time. It would take a lot of one of the mods free time to try and keep track of every change that happens to programs and incorporate it into ubcd4win. I think releasing updated plugins in the forum is a good way of getting program updates out to the public.

Well, I didn't get back to this one right away.

I was thinking that once updated plug-ins were released, they could be posted to a common, standardized, and pre-defined location. I have recently looked at the download.exe program, and how it works. (I've even been using it myself for certain large downloads, using the /resume option). Couldn't this program be used to auto-download the latest plug-in automaically in a mannor similar to the defs update method? Certain anti-virus plugins seem to need frequent updating, and if the new plug-in was already prepared in a way that a simple click of the "Config" button could first check for an updated plug-in, THEN update the defs, that would be cool. Files could be downloaded to a temporary location, and a .bat or .cmd file could remove the outdated folder and then move the new one to it's correct place. As long as the plug-in had the same name as the last one, but had a newer date, it should work, in theory. In practice, you are all volunteers, and if you get a chance to test this, we're proud of you and your work. If you don't, we're still proud of you and your work. Keep t up! (Yes, do take a break for Christmas).

Merry Christmas to all!
                  --Aaron

P.S. This method is much simpler than my earlier mention of using .xml files, etc. and would replace that method. A md5sum verification mechanism might help also.
                  Aaron Outhier

#39 User is offline   jdh201 Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

I can't get either of the links to these files to work. If you could email them to me I will post them on my website and provide a link to them on here so that people can access them. Rapidshare.de seems to be out of disk space and restricting to paying customers only. Please let me know. I will PM you my email.

#40 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

View Postjdh201, on Jan 5 2007, 12:23 PM, said:

I can't get either of the links to these files to work. If you could email them to me I will post them on my website and provide a link to them on here so that people can access them. Rapidshare.de seems to be out of disk space and restricting to paying customers only. Please let me know. I will PM you my email.

I'm not sure which links you are refering to... the ones I posted all work so unless the website was just having issues at the time you posted... its hard to say what the issue is... but really... those links are irrelevant since the v3.02 and v3.03 releases which already include the latest updates for AV7PE and ClamWin ( the referenced links in my post )

#41 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
                        • Group: Moderator
                        • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

I'll have to re-upload the files on Monday. I don't have access to the files until then unless some are on my other PC.
                        RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#42 User is offline   antilog Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

I tried Option 1, and the directions are rough at best. After trying a few times, it did seem to connect and download updates, and modified the original ISO, although the filesize did not change at all, only the modified date, and there is no "c:\ubcd4win\updated.iso"

Not sure what to do....

#43 User is offline   antilog Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

View Postantilog, on Feb 20 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

I tried Option 1, and the directions are rough at best. After trying a few times, it did seem to connect and download updates, and modified the original ISO, although the filesize did not change at all, only the modified date, and there is no "c:\ubcd4win\updated.iso"

Not sure what to do....

I ended up doing option 2 part 2, and it seemed to work.

Thanks

#44 User is offline   jtdoom Icon

• Special Guest
                            • Pip
                              • Group: DriverPacks.net Guru
                              • Interests:my piggybank does not accrue any.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

hi
                              a little error here
                              file 1, (I am using version 3.04)

antivirus update will use 7z.exe, but the batch tells it to use 7za.exe

example

echo 7zip rebuild
                              %UBCD4Win%\BartPE\Programs\7-zip\7za.exe a -sfx%UBCD4Win%\BartPE\Programs\7-zip\7zCon.sfx

should be
                              echo 7zip rebuild
                              %UBCD4Win%\BartPE\Programs\7-zip\7z.exe a -sfx%UBCD4Win%\BartPE\Programs\7-zip\7zCon.sfx

three such entries, FAIK.
                              great tool, tho.
                              Kind regards, Jaak.
                              I think UBCD4WIN is a really Useful tool.
                              Help the developers help you.
                              Here's a driverpack / plugin tool tutorial.

#45 User is offline   GeneralMandible Icon

• Pip
                                • Interests:dem 'puters

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Are you planning on adding A-Squared Free to the update scripts? :unsure:

I created my own "UpdateDefs" script that basically calls all the get_update.cmd files. I just came across this thread after the fact. I made a change to the A-Squared get_update.cmd file. The original looked like this:
                                cd A2FREE
                                a2free
                                cd ..

I changed it to this:
                                cd A2FREE
                                a2cmd /u
                                cd ..

This way it gets the updates unattended without the GUI.

Hope this might help. :)

• (5 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users