UBCD4Win Forums: New website for Ubcd4win? - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New website for Ubcd4win? Time for a change...?

Poll: From manual to dynamical website updating

Would you like ubcd4win to use dynamical software for the website?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   neonlys Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:40 AM

Hi!

This was asked about for several several months ago, and I'm thinking it may be time to bring it up again.
    Wouldn't it be on time to update the whole ubcd4win website from the old, outdated "code-by-html-then-upload-several-files" method, to a dynamical website. :clapping:

I KNOW it will save Ben SO much time in the process of updating the website with news, tutorials etc. :banana:

I was thinking of Joomla :wub:for the job, or maybe a commercial software? But not any of those php-nuke systems that are out there, 'cause they sucks so much I can't even describe it!! :D

I want everybody in here to come with their comment on this (be short and clear. No need to write a book about this :lol:), and please: ON TOPIC! :P

Cheers!
    Kristoffer

#2 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

Trust me, I've already tried to talk Steel into doing this... he wont... at least for now. :)

Though, maybe after this he'll consider it? I know that now since he's hosting with me, he has many options to choose from when it comes to site and content management. He even has Fantastico to play with which has lots of script to choose from to easily install and manage. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#3 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

this is a catch 22 for Steel.
        As it saves him time he has to learn how to use and do it. This is the road block.

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

View Postlawson23, on Jun 14 2006, 03:28 PM, said:

this is a catch 22 for Steel.
          As it saves him time he has to learn how to use and do it. This is the road block.

Exactly. That's the only problem with doing something like this. First I have to learn the software and figure out the best way to set it up and have it scaleable for future pages, ideas, etc. Then the huge amount of time it will take to get all the current information moved.

It's a nice idea, but I know I won't have the time. Especially now, this "freelance" type crap I've been doing for the past 9 months isn't paying the bills. I'm spending too much time on the project while my bills go unpaid. I hope to have a "real" full-time job by the end of the month. 2 weeks from now my presentation of the project will be over and I will not have any obligations until late October. Perfect time to start a new job.
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#5 User is offline   neonlys Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the fact that even though it saves you time, you still have to LEARN how to use the tool.. but I was thinking about all the committed peoples dedicated to this project, that some of them might be very useful in this process by maintaining the website for some time for SteelTrepid.

They could help setting up a new website, transfering all the sections, articles, pictures and whatever else there might be for him..

It's both a moderator team, beta-team and developer tEAM... why not also a website team?
            Their job could be to help Steeltrepid update the website, and to do chores for him. After all: Isn't this project made to benefit anyone with a desire to fix and maintain computers that don't work as they should?

I'm not saying that you, Steeltrepid, suddenly are superflous, I'm only suggesting that for the benefit of all us peoples that love this project and want it to keep evolving and growing, you create an own website team. Please don't think or feel that you're suddenly not good for anything on this project Steeltrepid, 'cause you are. You have "forsaken" your wife and kids just to be able to continue to develop this "baby" of yours.

I must say, I'm amazed of your wife and your kids!! That they give you permission to spend so much time on this project (mine would never allowed that! She would have :bash:and :boxing:me for being away in front of my computer that much! LOL :D:lol:). It's a great sacrifice taking into consideration all the time and effort you put into it. So on behalf of me (at least :D), and probably all the others on this project, give them our deepest gratitude for letting you work so much here :clapping::clapping:

And don't forget: Your still the leader, still the one that takes the desicions, still the one that choose whom you want for the job, still the one that started the whole thing. BUT I think it would have been good to have a dedicated website team too, which can help you when your timeschedule have to set this project on hold for a while due to other things like work, family etc.

This way, we could a continual progress on the project, event though your not able to spend so much time on it yourself for limited periods.

It's just my suggestions, which I'll hope youll take into consideration.
            By the way: If we get an own development team, then you could spend some time once in a while, learning yourself how the software works. And probably some of us on the project could help teaching you it too. And also, while I'm on it, there's no need to set up the most advanced and fanciest CMS we can find on the internet.. even a small one will do the job, and it will also be easier for you to learn.

Just my few cents!

Cheers
            Kristoffer

This post has been edited by neonlys: 16 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users