• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USB v's Firewire Best Connection

#1 User is offline   Bram Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hi,

I have an external box attached to my Laptop (via USB 2.0) that currently holds a DVD burner. The box has both USB & FireWire ports. I intend to Swap the burner for a IDE hard drive and keep the box as a backup drive.

What connection will give me the best performance in regards to the Hard Disks' operations.

BraM
    "Don't taze me bro!"

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

Really depends on hardware. USB 2.0 is supposed to support speeds up to 480, while FireWire is maxed out at 400? Many USB 2.0 devices will "say" they support 2.0, but in reality they only support some of the standards. The USB 2.0 standard is very loose (which is very sad!) and you could end up with a device that is only capable of supporting half the bandwidth that 2.0 is supposed to support!
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
      • PipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester
        • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

It is pretty much a toss up... USB 2.0 and Firewire/IEEE1394 and roughly the same speed. I think off the top of my head that USB2.0 is 480Mbps and IEEE1394/FW is actually only 400Mbps. FW2 is at 800Mbps... So when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter.

What does matter about speed is your BUS load and the speed of the drive it self. Pu a 5400RPM on a fiberchannel and I don't care how much data the bus can cary, the drive will slow it all down. Same with putting a 15,000RPM Raptor on a 66Mhz IDE bus.... It all depends on the slowest part that will determine your output. Fast drive on fast bus means fast to put it simply.

Hope this helps!!

-=EDIT=-

@ben You posted while I was typing... lol

This post has been edited by baronvonfoxbat7734: 14 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

\m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
        BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
        It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#4 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

From what I've seen when using external drives, USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 are nearly the same speed. If you have FireWire 800 support, then definitely use that over USB and save a USB port for something else. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
          "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
          "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
          "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
          "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
          "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#5 User is offline   Bram Icon

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I'm takin it all onboard...

I see now that I have to look at the whole combination in regards to total performance.

But I guess that I was mainly looking at the comparison as I'm familiar with USB but IEEE/IliNK/FireWire is a bit of an unknown quantiy.

Also the box not only comes with both ports but It also came with both cables... So I guess that I can try both and see what happens.

Thanks again.

BraM
            "Don't taze me bro!"

#6 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

Also just for information.

I have read somewhere that firewire is becoming a dead technology. Basically devices and manufactures are moving away from it.

It might have been with apple or something because Apple was really the only ones behind firewire and I think they have since started to move from firewire.

I will look and see if I can find the article again.
              http://arstechnica.c.../2005/12/9/2043
              http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57

This post has been edited by lawson23: 15 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users