Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IBM overclocks chip to 500GHz

#1 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:13 AM

Reghardware

Boffins from IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology (GIT) have produced what they claim is the world's fastest silicon chip thanks to what must be the acme of overclocking. The researchers reached a clock speed of 500GHz by reducing its temperature to just 4.5° above absolute zero.

:o:o:o
    RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#2 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
      • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

Zdnet.com

At room temperature, the IBM-Georgia Tech chip operates at 350GHz, or 350 billion cycles per second. That's far faster than standard PC processors today, which range from 3.8GHz to 1.8GHz. But SiGe chips can gain additional performance in colder temperatures.

RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#3 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:07 AM

arstechnica

I'm going to resist the urge to go on a rant about J-school grads who horribly mangle their coverage of technical topics, because, to be fair, I'm not exactly an analog RF guru myself. However, I will say that yesterday's round of press reports about the IBM/Georgia Tech 500GHz transistor was just a train wreck: "OMG a 500GHz supercooled computer chip!! Terahertz CPUs here we come! Also, cell phone chips only run at 2GHz!! (I'm, uh, not sure why this cell phone detail is relevant—shouldn't we be comparing these to Pentiums?—but that's what the PR guy said so I'll just throw that tidbit in my article.)"

If you read the coverage yesterday, let me see if I can untangle it for you. Like I said, I'm not really an analog circuits guy (I hated those classes, and I don't follow that industry), but I'll give it a shot. And if you didn't read the coverage, then hopefully the following will save you a headache.
        Switching vs. clocking

First off, what the Georgia Tech/IBM team demonstrated was a transistor that can be switched at 350GHz at room temperature, and 500GHz when cooled to near absolute zero. Now, just because a transistor can switch that fast, it doesn't mean that you could build a processor that is clocked that fast. The transistors that make up, say, a Pentium 4 processor could theoretically be switched much faster the clockspeed of even the fastest Pentium 4 chip; but how fast an individual transistor can be switched and how fast you can clock a complex digital circuit that consists of millions of those transistors communicating in lock-step are two very, very different numbers.

But really, there's no need to even talk about desktop processors here, because the kind of transistor that IBM and GA Tech goosed up to 500GHz is intended for use not in digital circuits but in analog RF devices.

RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

#4 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

It is so funny how some of these tech sites flew off the handle and reported misleading information.

Ars has it correct and even CNN had it correct.

That this is not a CHIP but a transistor only. Comparing it to a Desktop Processor is insane, which CNN even tries to do.

You have to laugh. :lol:

This post has been edited by lawson23: 23 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

#5 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

It's amazing how many times the press just makes things up!!!!
            RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

#6 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

View Poststidyup, on Jun 23 2006, 12:12 PM, said:

It's amazing how many times the press just makes things up!!!!

Oh man, all the damn time. Always to get headlines and readers/buyers. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
              "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
              "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
              "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
              "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
              "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users