Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I have an Idea

#1 User is offline   *Niks* Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

I know i am a noob when it comes to programming but wouldn't it be possible to design UBCD4Win so that one could put it on a pen drive, or even design it so that when a person puts it on a RW cd or dvd that it would save the information or software defs or soemthing that does not get saved to the RW.

just an idea

sincerly,

*Niks*

#2 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester
      • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

Good ideas.

USB has been discussed in a multitude of threads.

RW's can't be used as most systems can't see them for booting and plus the project needs to be finalized and so thusly no more writing to the disk is allowed. I am sure that other people have the exact reason but the above is in lamens terms as to why.

DVD's are also a very slow boot as the system has to read the whole disk prior to launching. They can be used but again you can't write to the disk that you are booting from while in the project.
      \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
      BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
      It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#3 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

baronvonfoxbat7734 said:

RW's can't be used as most systems can't see them for booting and plus the project needs to be finalized and so thusly no more writing to the disk is allowed. I am sure that other people have the exact reason but the above is in lamens terms as to why.

This is incorrect information. It's actually better in most cases to burn to a CD-RW when you can (unless you're going to use it on really old system) as you can then update the CD easily and not always use a new one. And YES, you CAN finalize a CD-RW and then erase it later. I do it all of the time with no problems. :)

As for DVDs used, as long as you're not using the entire DVD then the system doesn't have to read the whole thing (actually I don't think it has to read the whole thing anyway). It would only read the section where there's actually data (which in some cases may be only 1GB, and not the full 4.3GB). As long as you have a decent DVD-ROM drive, there shouldn't be any problems. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
        "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
        "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
        "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
        "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
        "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#4 User is offline   Fargo Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

What about using DVD-RAM? :P

#5 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

View PostFargo, on Jun 24 2006, 05:23 PM, said:

What about using DVD-RAM? :P

Version 3 already has DVD-RAM support added. There are methods to use a cd-rw also & add files to the current booted cd with growisofs.exe, but requires a special version of mkisofs.exe.
            Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#6 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
            • PipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: BETA Tester
              • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jun 24 2006, 03:45 PM, said:

This is incorrect information. It's actually better in most cases to burn to a CD-RW when you can (unless you're going to use it on really old system) as you can then update the CD easily and not always use a new one. And YES, you CAN finalize a CD-RW and then erase it later. I do it all of the time with no problems. :)

As for DVDs used, as long as you're not using the entire DVD then the system doesn't have to read the whole thing (actually I don't think it has to read the whole thing anyway). It would only read the section where there's actually data (which in some cases may be only 1GB, and not the full 4.3GB). As long as you have a decent DVD-ROM drive, there shouldn't be any problems. :)

Again I thought I put all the words that ran through my mind onto the page... I meant that he can't use RW's and continue to write data to them while he is booted in the project. It won't let you. RW's can be used to make it and test but not all systems will use it...

The DVD stuff... I don't have the luxury of having a DVD burner. I remember reading a while back either here or somewhere else that using DVD's is very slow as the drive reads the whole disk for some reason and it slows the boot to 3 or 4 times longer than it would be on a regular CD even if the data is the same and was just burned to DVD instead of CD.

anyways....

My apologies for supplying incorect data.

#7 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

My apologies for supplying incorect data.
                Most of this was CORRECT, but has been SUPERSEEDED by new methods created by people that don't sleep at night. :)

Again I thought I put all the words that ran through my mind onto the page... I meant that he can't use RW's and continue to write data to them while he is booted in the project. It won't let you. RW's can be used to make it and test but not all systems will use it...
                This was accurate untill about 3 months ago, maybe less. There is a way to create the iso with a special version of mkisofs.exe & then add files to the same cd with a program called growisofs.exe. This whole approach is new & still experamental, but very interesting. The same works for dvd-rw as far as I know. The downside to doing this with any bartpe build is that the system "hangs" directly after adding the files to the cd, but the data is written corectly & all you have to do is re-boot. This will add new functions latter down the road as more time is spent understanding how these options work.

As for the DVD stuff. We added driver support for dvd-ram & although I don't posses the hardware to test this, have been told that you can easily add files to the same disk you booted bartpe on.
                Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#8 User is offline   *Niks* Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:06 AM

well it is only an idea.

I just suggested it becuase some linux software (mepis or ubuntu or suse) had the capability to save information to the live cd-rw itself.

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users