• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KNOPPIX for multiboot plugin available

#1 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

I made a plugin for adding KNOPPIX to your multiboot UBCD4Win 3.0 dvd (KNOPPIX is 700mb so it's too big to fit on a cd with UBCD4Win).

This website is about Knoppix, a Free and Open Source Live Linux CD. Knoppix is a GNU/Linux distribution that boots and runs completely from cd. It includes recent linux software and desktop environments, with programs such as OpenOffice.org, Abiword, The Gimp, Konqueror, Mozilla, Apache, PHP, MySQL and hundreds of other quality open source programs.

Read more about KNOPPIX here... http://knoppix.net

Download the plugin from HERE and extract it to your plugins\multiboot folder then either copy the contents of your KNOPPIX cd to the files directory or download the iso image and save it to the files directory and click the "CONFIG" button at the plugin screen before building.

NOTE - I used KNOPPIX version 5.01 while creating this plugin, I don't know if it'll work with other versions.

Now we have the best of both worlds on one disk ;)

Enjoy :)

Tom
    If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

:clapping:
      Need some hardware or software at super low prices? Check out my online store here: Burrows Solutions

"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"
      "My cause is noble, my power is pure"
      "My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user-friendly than Windows Vista. I don't like that."
      "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?"

Can we smoke in here?
      Cigarettes or crack?
      Don't make me choose.

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

I guess this means we will have to answer questions like...

Will chmod allow me to change my acl settings in Windows?

:blush::wall:
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

I guess this means we will have to answer questions like...

Will chmod allow me to change my acl settings in Windows?

You have to do that directly from windows using the "format" command. :banana:

One REALLY usefull function of KNOPPIX is the ability to run regedit.exe from the hard drive via "wine" to surf the registry on a Win98/me box. This is very helpfull if you're having problems with a virus or other malware running even when booted in safe mode. If you find the registry entry where virus.exe is being started from then you can delete it from the hard drive since you know it's name now or even edit system.dat and rename virus.exe to v0rus.exe.
          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#5 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

:banana::gs::banana:
            Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#6 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:Computers and stuff...

:-)

Post icon  Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

Sweet! Now we can have the ultimate boot DVD! :D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
              "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
              "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
              "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
              "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
              "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#7 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jun 30 2006, 10:19 PM, said:

Sweet! Now we can have the ultimate boot DVD! :D
                Just to let you know, I already have plugins on the way for Windows Setup.

It will take a little time to get the bugs out, but anyone with a dvd burner is going to be able to add all sorts of thing to the cd by using plugins based on my bcdw multiboot setup.

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

Eventually the 4Win part will not do it justice.... :clapping:

Maybe call it the Uber Boot Disk
                  Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#9 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

View Postrdsok, on Jun 30 2006, 09:35 PM, said:

Eventually the 4Win part will not do it justice.... :clapping:

Maybe call it the Uber Boot Disk

:D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                    "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                    "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                    "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                    "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                    "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#10 User is offline   bober Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

i have enjoyed building the UBCD4Win so much,i think i'll switch to DVD so i can continue adding on.{less than 2 megs left on the CD}

will dual layer{8 gigs} DVD's work? :)

#11 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

I would assume that Dual layer will work, however you may lose a lot of compatibility with some drives. I doubt many older DVD ROM drives will be able to read a DL DVD???

Due to the price of DL media, I have never played with them. I don't mind wasting 10-20 cents on CD's....but not $1+ for a DL.
                        Need some hardware or software at super low prices? Check out my online store here: Burrows Solutions

"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"
                        "My cause is noble, my power is pure"
                        "My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user-friendly than Windows Vista. I don't like that."
                        "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?"

Can we smoke in here?
                        Cigarettes or crack?
                        Don't make me choose.

#12 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

Dual Layer DVDs should work fine in most players as long as you use a DVD+DL and make sure to set the Book Type to DVD-ROM when you burn it, as well as finalize it. :)As for me, dual layer is still too expensive to buy, but I buy plenty of regular and Lightscribe DVD+Rs all of the time. :)

#13 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

NOTE: The ONLY burning application known to work with bartpe & dual layer DVD media is imgburn

This is the best burning engine I have ever used, & works well with DL DVD media because it actually handles the layer-break correctly. It's also freeware, so thats another thing in it's favor.

#14 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:44 PM

Of course, Nero works just fine too. :)

#15 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jul 1 2006, 06:43 PM, said:

Of course, Nero works just fine too. :)
                                You have already stated that you do not have a daul layer dvd burner, How can you say that nero handles the dl media properly for a PE build? I don't have the hardware either, but every time someone complains about nero (& other burning apps) not producing a working PE on daul layer dvd media, the solution always seems to be imgburn.

Have you ever read any reports of anyone sucessfully making a DL DVD PE Build with Nero?

I have not & most of the time people are complaining about there DL drive not producing a usable build they are either using Nero (comes with most DVD-DL Bruners) or they are not using the -sort function of mkisofs.exe & the boot files are out of range of setupldr.

Please post any links to a "Sucess Story" with Nero & Bartpe, I would certainly like to know that Ahead Software has fixed whatever problem was causing the program to not properly split the ISO when burning to a daul layer dvd media.

• (3 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users