• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Microsoft Virtual PC

#16 User is offline   rscataran Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

VMWare is also free.(I would just like to mention.)

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

I've tried VMware, QEMU and Virtual PC 2004. I think QEMU and VirtualPC is better in testing bootable ISOs than VMware. Though there are some problems with QEMU so i would recommend VirtualPC for testing UBCD4win.

This is great news. I'm waitng for the VirtualPC 2007 to come out though. :clapping::D

#17 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

Actually, VMWare has FAR more features when dealing with virtual environments than Virtual PC does and thus I consider it far better. But when you say free, it's not really free, it's more of a free trial period for the new server edition. But maybe I'm wrong but that's what it seems. Also, they say the server edition is pretty limited compared to the Workstation edition. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#18 User is offline   JamesIEvans Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jul 13 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

View PostJamesIEvans, on Jul 13 2006, 10:13 AM, said:

View Postbaronvonfoxbat7734, on Jul 12 2006, 04:30 PM, said:

It is free finally!! Get it while its hot!! I have looked at it and it is indeed free and full version. This is good news as I have never been able to get QEMU to work for me.

this may be a dumb question, but can this be used instead of qemu to load iso files?

Yes, Exactly. :)

I already have virtual pc, never knew I could just drag the iso file to the cd icon. Slick! Thanks.

#19 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

I just do not understand all of these now "free" products MS keeps throwing at us??? They spend hundreds of thousand (maybe millions, been a while can't remember) of dollars buying the company that created the virtual PC software.....sell it for a few years.....and then just start giving it away??

Could deal with the competition too, with many of the products they have there are usually better alternatives out there. I guess they figure that they want their software on your system so they must follow the free trend that some tools follow.

Now if only Open Office could get better and start stealing more away from MS Office.... :)a few years from now we could be getting MS Office for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#20 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jul 15 2006, 09:46 AM, said:

I just do not understand all of these now "free" products MS keeps throwing at us??? They spend hundreds of thousand (maybe millions, been a while can't remember) of dollars buying the company that created the virtual PC software.....sell it for a few years.....and then just start giving it away??

Could deal with the competition too, with many of the products they have there are usually better alternatives out there. I guess they figure that they want their software on your system so they must follow the free trend that some tools follow.

Now if only Open Office could get better and start stealing more away from MS Office.... :)a few years from now we could be getting MS Office for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MS Office will never be free now, lol. MS has too much of a stranglehold on most businesses where Office is a must-have standard product. Frickin everyone knows what a Word document is and how to use and make one... well, mostly. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
            "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
            "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
            "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
            "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

• (2 Pages)
            • +
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users