• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to create a leaner running UBCD4WIN CD

#1 User is offline   michaeljames Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

First of all I LOVE THE PROJECT.

I have been using the boot CD for over a year now and think it is great.

One thing I have noticed from the 2.X versions to version 3 is that it now it has multiboot options, preconfig, themes Etc. and takes more resources to load which I think means I can use it on fewer older computers.

I was working on an older laptop a couple days ago and it was hanging during load and I found a blurb about disabling "Joshuas Pre-config", well I have had problems like this in the past as the project got more sophisticated and I think I would like to try and get back to basics.

What is the steps I need to take (if there are any) to create a CD that is more basic like a early version 2?

I would like it to just load the CD with the apps I have available to me, no themes, no multiboots, no preconfigs Etc.

Any help and or thoughts about what I am trying to do would be greatly appreciated. :rock:

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:17 AM

PreShell was added to HELP with booting on older systems. You can easily remove the MultiBoot stuff by disabeling the MultiBoot plugins. I suggest you read the documentation for PreShell.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   JamesIEvans Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

View Postmichaeljames, on Jul 20 2006, 11:09 AM, said:

I was working on an older laptop a couple days ago and it was hanging during load and I found a blurb about disabling "Joshuas Pre-config", well I have had problems like this in the past as the project got more sophisticated and I think I would like to try and get back to basics.

In addittion to disabling the multi-boot plugins, you could also disable the rocket dock plugins.

#4 User is offline   michaeljames Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:35 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jul 20 2006, 08:16 AM, said:

PreShell was added to HELP with booting on older systems. You can easily remove the MultiBoot stuff by disabeling the MultiBoot plugins. I suggest you read the documentation for PreShell.

Oh OK. I will read up on PreShell for sure.

View PostJamesIEvans, on Jul 20 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

In addittion to disabling the multi-boot plugins, you could also disable the rocket dock plugins.

Thank you James I will.

This new version came out with so many new things that initially it is hard to take it all in.

#5 User is offline   JamesIEvans Icon

• PipPipPip
            • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

View Postmichaeljames, on Jul 20 2006, 01:34 PM, said:

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jul 20 2006, 08:16 AM, said:

Oh OK. I will read up on PreShell for sure.

View PostJamesIEvans, on Jul 20 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

Thank you James I will.

This new version came out with so many new things that initially it is hard to take it all in.

Per Joshua, you can also

if you mean the ubcd4win booting time, you can decrease the booting time,
            if you disable the following plugins:

Addon: RocketDock (AutoStart)
            Addon: ScreenPrint 32
            Addon: Virtual PDF Printer (go2pdf)
            Network: PENETCFG (Automatically start PE Network configurator)

You can also configure a lot things in PreShell.

Joshua

#6 User is offline   michaeljames Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

The main thing that I am running into is on older machines, it will either hang with a blank screen or load but then be sluggish/unresponsive.

I know that this situation cannot be avoided on some older machines because they just do not have the resources but it would be nice to be able to increase my chances.

I saw that with PreShell on systems with not alot of ram you can use a pagefile.

Does it determine the size of the pagefile automatically or do you set it manually in the INI??

#7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

Read the instructions for PreShell that are found in the Logon-parameters.txt file

IMPORTANT... Do NOT use a pagefile with a system that you may be trying to recover data from... it would potentially corrupt the data futher.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

The best part of PreShell is the ability to change settings at boot time! When the PreShell menu comes up quickly move your mouse to stop the 3 second timer from counting down. Then select the "Expert Mode" box, you will have all options at your disposal!! PreShell initially starts the project with a 2MB ramdrive, that is changed to 64 unless you change it. For older slower systems you can keep it at 2MB. Like James said, do not enable a pagefile if you are doing any type of data recovery. If you are doing recovery then 2MB should be fine for a ramdrive as most of the recovery programs included in the project are run from the CD. If you are trying to remove viruses, then you could possibly run into problems because most of the AV software included in the project is extracted to the ramdrive. One other little tip also, if you happen to need internet access.....the Opera plugin included in the project does run from the CD. Unlike the FireFox plugin that is extracted to the ramdrive.

I am also sure that you understand most things may run "painfully" slow because of the limited system resources. I think that would be true with any bootable project. One final thought.....Joshua has successfully booted 3.0 on systems with as little as 32 or 48MB of RAM, so it is possible!! :clapping:

Also, if you don't mind wasting an extra CD you could always change the settings in PreShell and create a "crappy system" UBCD4Win CD. We requested and worked on a lot of ideas, requests, etc., with Joshua to include in PreShell so almost everything is changeable and covered. :)
                  "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#9 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Version 3.0 is great on a Dell Inspiron 610 laptop. Version 2.55 would not enable the ethernet port, but it works fine with 3.0.

My duaghter's almost 3-year-old Compaq Presario 2500 laptop would boot okay with 2.55, but it will not boot at all with 3.0. I have been using the same CD on both machines.

I would say that there is benefit from the older version, or maybe a lean 3.0 for computers like this Compaq.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users