UBCD4Win Forums: Dell said to have 'dozens' of burned laptop incidents on file - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dell said to have 'dozens' of burned laptop incidents on file

#1 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

reghardware

Dell's December 2005 battery recall followed the recording of dozens of incidents over a two-year period of overheating notebooks, many resulting in melted or burned computers, it has been alleged this week as the company continues to investigate the case of a laptop that burst into flames in Japan.

The incidents are detailed in a series of documents leaked to US trade paper CRN by a source said to be close to the computer vendor. According to the paper, the records list examples of machines with melted or charred casings. Signs of overheating were not always visible near the battery. However, many appear in places associated with high temperatures during the operation of any laptop.

RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#2 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester
      • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

This reminds me... I had an executive that I supprted who had a non standard machine (what a VP wants, a VP gets...) and it was a Insipron 8200. I called Dell and they did not believe me at all about the melted case for the LCD and the palm rest and such as it melted at the top right of the KB as if you are using it. I even had to take pictures with my Cell to send them proof of damage. They still sent me through hoops even with the pictures. 2 weeks later I finally got them to fix it. I have not seen another one melt like that since even though i work in a Dell only shop. I know that most of there laptops get extremely hot very quickly though...
      \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
      BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
      It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#3 User is offline   Flynn Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Interests:Reading your e-mail.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

:o*in an office with .. 8 Dell laptops* :blink::surrender:
        "My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared."
        ------------------------------------------------------------

As a computer, if find your faith in technology amusing.

#4 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members
          • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

LOL Yea, we have several as well and they can get very hot. A lot of ours are used full-time as well. This is why we have these little "racks" (I can't think of a better word) which is like a little metal grate that is elevated and you put the laptop on it. This helps it have airflow underneath the laptop and the heat partially dissapates on the metal. We actually have a few laptops that require these as if they are just laid flat on a table, they'll overheat and be inoperable after 5 minutes.... crazy...

This is also why I always say that if you must get a laptop then get a Toshiba. :)Otherwise, if you REALLY want a laptop, get an Alienware. :D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
          "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
          "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
          "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
          "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
          "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#5 User is offline   Flynn Icon

• PipPipPip
            • Interests:Reading your e-mail.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

Three words : Mac Book Pro
            "My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared."
            ------------------------------------------------------------

As a computer, if find your faith in technology amusing.

#6 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
            • PipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

View PostFlynn, on Jul 21 2006, 02:59 PM, said:

lol

3 word response: Out of Budget or Can not afford
              \m/ (>.<) \m/

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#7 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

View PostFlynn, on Jul 21 2006, 12:59 PM, said:

More words:

Can't Custom Upgrade

and especially...

Can't Play Games

:)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#8 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
                  • Group: Moderator
                  • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

I've been quite impressed with Samsung laptops especially as they offer a 3 year warranty. Dell's which we can also buy only come with a 1yr any longer costs.
                  RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#9 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

I have noted that my company Dell Latitutde D610 gets a bit warm (hot) on my lap at home. It runs on my desk at work for 8 plus hours a day connected to a docking station. At work, it runs on a 90 watt power supply, but the travel supply I use at home is 65 watts. I give this computer a stiff workout every day, and I have yet to see any failure modes based on heat. My employer purchased hundreds of these units for use in the UK and US.

#10 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                      • Group: Admin

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

OH CRAP!!!! :blink::o

Pictures of a laptop that looks a lot like mine!! Do I need to start shutting it down everytime I walk away from it???? I thought "newer" laptops were having this problem, thought I was safe??

http://www.fototime....6-619CDE03080E}
                      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#11 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
                      • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

Photo is definately a C5 or C600 series from the form factor. Not a C5/640 though as that is still a P3. that is a very weird spot for the heat... All that is in the location is a speaker and a little circuitry and the side of the battery. I think that may have been a Battery that burned and not something else. I know that there has been a lot of stuff going on a bit ago about batteries catching fire. I received about 10 letters from Dell due to my contacting them about defective systems for repair all asking me to contact them about batteries and then shortly afterwards about certain Dell branded power supplies catching fire as well.

I would just don't keep it plugged in all the time and turn it off when not in use and we can all avoid that.
                        \m/ (>.<) \m/

#12 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

While I read the part that the failure isn't always near the battery but maybe there are multiple causes... for instance and I quote "conventional lithium ion batteries have the potential to suffer from thermal runaway issues potentially leading to catastrophic battery failure at temperatures above 130°C" .. add to that what can happen with CPU's that doen't have proper thermal protection can explode... these are certainly speculative on my part but it may be something to look into.
                          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users