• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MyInfo Issue MyInfo Doesn't Properly Display Info

#16 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

I thought that I was the only one seeing green rectangles. This does not show up on a Dell laptop, but it does appear on an older 600 mhz eMachine. I have trouble with the graphics display on the eMachine when I boot certain LINUX live CDs.

Another note about builds..... I see that I used SP2 when in fact I did not. I have tried building the UBCD4WIN using an older XPPRO CD slipstreamed with SP1 and SP2 with no joy. I tried pointing the builder at the XP location on my daughter's laptop without success. I have built several versions by pointing the builder at my wife's 2.6 eMachine XP location. I need to break down and buy a new XP CD. The old XP Pro version is one given to my son when he worked for a retailer at the time XP was launched. It may be too old.

#17 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

View Postturbine_blade, on Aug 23 2006, 08:51 PM, said:

Another note about builds..... I see that I used SP2 when in fact I did not.
      How are you checking this? DO NOT use the "properties" page of the build to determine the service pack level. These are hard-coded registry entries that are required for certain software/ windows functions to work propperly & do not indicate the true service pack level of the CD used.

As long as you source CD is readable, then it is good, they do not go "out of date". Look at the root of the finished CD/ISO for the files named... WIN51.SP1, WIN51.SP2 The ".SP1" is the true service pack level of the build. be carefull not to mix files from different versions of windows, this causes nothing but trouble.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#18 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

As long as you source CD is readable, then it is good, they do not go "out of date". Look at the root of the finished CD/ISO for the files named... WIN51.SP1, WIN51.SP2 The ".SP1" is the true service pack level of the build. be carefull not to mix files from different versions of windows, this causes nothing but trouble.

The UBCD4WIN CD is WIN51.SP1a, although the menu on the CD reports SP2. I had no doubt about the SP version on this particular eMachine. I don't like SP2 because it causes a problem for a software product that I support that is used by airlines and corporate jet maintainers around the world. Most airlines are not using XP so far. I do admit that I did not make the recommended changes before building the CD with SP1.

I would agree that an XP PRO CD should not go out of date, but this very early XP version has not worked for me when attempting to build UBCD4WIN. I used two different methods to slipstream SP1 and SP2, but no joy. I should try a normal hard drive install with the old XP CD. It is not currently running on any computer, although my son did intall it on a computer before he went back to W2K.

#19 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

I do admit that I did not make the recommended changes before building the CD with SP1.
          You are risking DATA LOSS if you do not change the "CRITICAL" plugins for SP1.

There are 2 plugins that MUST be changed or you may destroy any & all information on you hard drives.

The dcomlaunce plugin must be disabled or the "Managament Console" will not work, & the "Large IDE fix" takes care of HD's over 120gig. If you boot the CD on a system with a 140gig(or higher) hard drive attached, it will be recognised as nothing hegher than a 120 & the data WILL BE DESTROYED BEYOND THE POINT OF RECOVERY.

Not trying to sound harsh, but failure to make the "Required" (not sugested, but required) changes is asking for trouble.

#20 User is offline   guru777 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

Any progress on this issue SteelTrepid ?

#21 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

View Postguru777, on Sep 26 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

Any progress on this issue SteelTrepid ?
              If you are reffering the the problem with myinfo, you need to address your question to Tom (PcUser) the coder of that program. I know he is trying to resolve the problem, but cannot seem to reproduce the error on any system he has access to which makes it almost impossable to fix. Once he gains access to a system that is displaying the reported problem, it should not take long to fix but if he cannot see the problem first hand, there is no way to debug the code & find out why it is happening.

Hopefully this matter will be resolved before the next release.

#22 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip
                • Interests:Computers, 3D Animation and Graphics, Gaming

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

I have a worse issue. I've seen those green boxes on IBM Laptops T23-T30. Now on to my issue. See my specs below.

Ok I create disk and run on other systems different configs no issue. When using it on this system in my signature.

First it does not find the Nvidia built on network (Which I thought had been fixed and added to the drivers).

Now that's a bit off topic, but back on topic, it gives me a pop up saying myinfo: ERROR with OK and that's it. It does not load my desktop or any information. Seems everything else runs fine but that error always pops up on that system mentioned in my signature.

Also just to add the Tools List doesn't work either. These may have already been posted or mentioned but I did search and didn't come up with anything except this thread. Thanks for any info.

This post has been edited by Cellar Dweller: 01 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe v2.0 Nforce 2 (1008)
                AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)
                Corsair PC3200C2 DDR 400 (3 Gig) (Dual Channel)
                PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+
                (2) 80 Gig Seagate SATA (Non-RAID)
                Dell 2407 Wide Screen Flat Panel
                Mad Dog 600 Watt Modular PSU

#23 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

HERE'S a newer version of MyInfo.exe that should fix the error.

I have that same mobo and the driver included in the driver packs have never worked with my nic. It might be that it needs a custom (Asus) driver? If you need the driver just let me know and I'll upload it for you.

I don't have the green squares fixed yet...
                  If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#24 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

Another suggestion for the NIC... nVidia uses the same name in different versions... remove the NF3 and NF4 drivers to avoid that conflict. It may just be overwriting the older drivers with the newer ones. Most of the time when this happens, this is the cause but it would be negligent of the project to not include the other versions of the drivers so the user is forced to address it manually.
                    Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#25 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

I can also force the same MyInfo error if I set the wallpaper to a non-existant filename. So double check your setting that you made for the wallpaper to ensure you did name it correctly.

I actually did this accidentally while beta testing something for the project by using it in a non-standard way that ended up not copying the file I had selected for the background.
                      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#26 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

View Postrdsok, on Nov 1 2006, 09:26 PM, said:

I can also force the same MyInfo error if I set the wallpaper to a non-existant filename. So double check your setting that you made for the wallpaper to ensure you did name it correctly.

I actually did this accidentally while beta testing something for the project by using it in a non-standard way that ended up not copying the file I had selected for the background.

Sorry I haven't come back to this in a while. I haven't tried the newer or myinfo.exe that was posted here yet.

I still have this issue (Original myinfo.exe ) and everything works perfectly fine when I run the CD (ISO Image) from VM Player. I always test my builds in VM Player before burning them so that way I do not create any coasters. The issue is ALWAYS on my nforce 2 board and the myinfo.exe blowing up. If it works in VM Player it rightfully should be working when burned to cd. I've even taken the same cd to other computers and it functions just fine, it's always the nforce board system that it blows up on???
                        PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                        Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+

#27 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

It's just certain onboard graphics in almost all cases. Everytime I boot up a P3, I see this problem! I'm pretty sure most of them use Intel graphics. I really wish we could find or figure out the problem, but honestly doubt it. Too bad we couldn't "borrow" some code from BGInfo. :hide:
                          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#28 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

I'm back... Thanks for the replies. (pcuser) sorry it's been a while, but I did finally get to try the newer version of myinfo.txt and it actually does the same thing and it may have even made it worse because depending on what I would put into my build would actually cause it to blow up in my VM, where that has always been fine with the older version.

(Steele) I actually have a geforce 6800 Ultra AGP card not an onboard video.

The strange thing about this is it actually can blow up depending on what drivers you add or try to load for other items or even plugins. I was trying to add Drive Image 7.0 and of course kept failing to make it work properly but by adding it, it too would then cause the VM to blow up also with the myinfo error. I'd get the myfino error as soon as it tried to load the desktop. As I also stated before my desktop is something I created but it loads on most machines and on my VM fine, but it now crashes on nforce2 boards and I've tried using on an HP Server DL380 G5 or something like this and it blows up on those as well. Those are onboard video for the HP servers, not sure who makes them might be ATI.

So if you mess up a menu item with numenu it can also cause the myinfo to blow up so I'm not exactly sure what causes it to blow up or what could be done to fix it.
                            PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                            Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+

#29 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

There is a new version of MyInfo, but I don't think it's available yet. I'm pretty sure it has only been released to the development team at this point. After some more testing we'll get it included in the next release.

Contact pcuser, he might email you a copy for testing.
                              "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#30 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Mar 24 2007, 12:11 PM, said:

There is a new version of MyInfo, but I don't think it's available yet. I'm pretty sure it has only been released to the development team at this point. After some more testing we'll get it included in the next release.

Contact pcuser, he might email you a copy for testing.

He included one up a few posts that I tried and that must have been the development one you might be talking about but as I said it actually got worse because it would then blow up in my VM. Just wondering what could cause it and why it's only certain systems or dependent upon what drivers or plugins you might add at times...
                                PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                                Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+

• (3 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users