Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A 'dumber' ftp client?

#1 User is offline   chrisss Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:05 AM

ubcd4win has just saved the family photos from a computer that wouldn't boot and an unstable file system. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Part of my recovery plan was to try to ftp the photos to the server at work. However, Filezilla just tried to be too clever. The Filezilla defaults appear to be to enable multiple connections & to 'fill' the login & password fields if you try to leave them empty. My work server wont allow multiple connections or submitting a password as part of the connection string. I struggled for a while with Filezilla defaults but gave up. It's too clever for its own good in a crisis when the file system can freeze the computer at any moment.

Would you consider including a 'dumber' ftp clinet in the build? WinSCP 'winscp.net' fits the bill, is open source, but I dont know whether it meets ubcd4win constraints.

all the best.

chris :D

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

It's not very often we are asked to downgrade a particular aspect of the project, but it makes sense to me. We will have to look at the program you posted about & see if it "Fits the bill". You can add plugins yourself if needed & it sounds like this program would be a simple plugin to write.

Glad to hear you saved the family photos, but I have to ask... Why are they not backed-up to another location? If they are that important, you should find another way to protect them in case the next time this happens you file system might be beyond saving & all data could be lost.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

I have not "dug into" Filezilla much while booted into the project. So I wonder if the "options" are available when booted into the project? I just fired up FileZilla on my system (use it for the site) and found the option to turn off multiple connections pretty quickly. Did you try turning any options off when you used it?
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   chrisss Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Sep 2 2006, 02:08 PM, said:

I have not "dug into" Filezilla much while booted into the project. So I wonder if the "options" are available when booted into the project? I just fired up FileZilla on my system (use it for the site) and found the option to turn off multiple connections pretty quickly. Did you try turning any options off when you used it?

Thanks for the replies.

I work in computing, so it's a case of "Doctor - heal thyself".

I found the option to switch off multiple connections in filezilla but I couldn't stop it from autofilling the password field. I have found the same issue in other ftp clients I have tried, cuteftp I seem to (mis)remember. WinSCP, on the other hand, lets you connect with or without login & password strings.

Now I've found ubcd4win I can think of many uses for it, but digging myself out of trouble is the most valuable. For this, simple resource-light tools are the best.

BTW - I used 'express burn' to rescue the photos.

My thanks once again. I'm telling all my computer-literate friends & colleagues about ubcd4win.

Chris

#5 User is offline   Mryucky Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:35 AM

I also like winscp:

the plugin is very simple to create because all you need is the executable... if your not comfortable making this, then the easiest way is just place the executable in your "custom" folder and then when you boot ubcd4win just use an file explorer to go to the cd and launch from there ;)

#6 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

It may be possible to use ordinary DOS ftp from a command line. I use ftp from UNIX XTERM and DOS command windows all the time. There are probably reference pages on the net that explain put, get and bin.

This post has been edited by turbine_blade: 11 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users