• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows PE 2.0 is out!

#1 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Vista Final is out (includes PE 2.0 Final)

Get it Here.

Cheers

#2 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:30 PM

After playing with it for a bit there are some definate benefits to this new version of WinPE.

1) Microsoft included a tool (drvload.exe) that lets you load drivers on the fly (as long as no reboot is req.)
      2) USB devices can be plugged in and recognized after you boot into PE
      3) It's loaded "entirely" into RAM and lets you remove the cd!!
      4) It supports a large number of mass storage drivers on its own and including new ones is easy.

The new in-the-works BartPE (based on PE 2.0) is going to rock!

Cheers

#3 User is offline   nick² Icon

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

The dynamic USB device loading would be a very big plus..... However I'm not sure how I feel about the entirely into ram thing... With ~300 MB of windows system files that could get messy...

#4 User is offline   eeik Icon

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

View PostJotnar, on Nov 17 2006, 03:20 PM, said:

The Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Vista Final is out (includes PE 2.0 Final)

Get it Here.

Cheers

Hello Jotnar,

I see it's for Vista, but can I use with "windows XP" ?

Thanks for your advices.

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

View Posteeik, on Nov 28 2006, 12:00 PM, said:

I see it's for Vista, but can I use with "windows XP" ?

The system requirements are listed on the link he provided...
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   richard612 Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

Guys, Is Bart actively working on a new BartPE for the Vista-based WinPE 2.0? I'm thinking about moving my company's boot CD technology up to VistaPE but I'm a little worried about the loss of functionality and having to "roll my own" user shell. If I know something new is coming from Bart, I'll hold off.

#7 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

We are all kind of in the same boat as you.
                I have sent emails to Bart a few times asking him about this. Because we own an OEM license, I can kind of get away with annoying him a little??

We have all intentions of creating a "UBCD4Vista" when the time is right. When Bart gets a new PE Builder released that allows Vista builds, we will be right there. I think Bart is a genius for what he has done so far and have all confidence that he will make the Vista version better!! MS always has to mess something up, so I'm sure Bart will do his best to correct their short-comings.

While I would like to be the first Vista PE compilation (UBCD4Win was the first!), we also have to wait for Bart this time. I understand that a lot of people want Vista PE CD's now!! However I strongly feel that it takes time for that. We have to wait for true Vista applications to even be developed, well free one's anyways. The market share and need for a Vista version is extremely low right now also and will not pick up for at least 6 months, possibly 1 year.

I want to back Bart and have every intention to. Our dedication to him may cost us from being the first Vista PE CD, but we will eventually be the kick ass Vista PE CD out there like we are (and always have been) with UBCD4Win!!

The only possible issue we have with our UBCD4Vista, is going to be cash. Pretty much all members of the development team are going to be unable to afford the many costs that Vista are going to bring. I could probably get by personally because I have one of the faster systems in our team, however still have to cough up the cash for the Vista license. Then of course there is the "die hard" AMD 750 member of our team (whose identity will remain hidden) that just loves his processor and system too much!! Even if I bought him a Core 2 Duo system, I don't think the crazy bastard would use it!!! Makes me wonder though, how many users of the project really want to see us move on and up to Vista?? How many want a UBCD4Vista??
                "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#8 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: 911Cd Forum Guru

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

hm a tough one. All the things I have found from a system builder point of view (I run a computer store) says that vista is a no go. Allot of corporations wont touch it for at least a year and most likely two. Quite a few government agencies around the globe are also saying the same. This leaves home users ot be the guinee pigs.

Another firm from canada that did indipendent studies said that there are quite a few software incompatability issues. As in things simply dont run or run properly. I have also heard it is much slower for games although I dont know if this one is true or not.

Driver support will also be slow if the number of new adopters turns out to be slow. Even if it took a year to come out with a ubcd4vista I dont think it would be late to the party so to speak and two years would most likely be about when it gets any kind of traction in the industry.

To make matters worse linux usage according to the big companies that do the usage reports (example IDC and Gartner) are saying that linux usage last year went up quite a but and they expect it to grow quite a bit over the next 2 years.

WHo knows what things will be like by then?

#9 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

EXCELLENT points!!! I agree fully!

I also left out many a few personal views on Vista. We have a few active posts about Vista that do not make it look good. I am very unhappy with the DRM in Vista and "unsigned" driver stance MS has with Vista.
                    For many, many months (maybe at least the past 1 1/2 years) I have stood up for MS and supported Vista. Now with more facts and details about it getting out, I'm second guessing myself. I do not like to bash MS, it's kinda stupid. I agree with a lot of people that say "If you don't like it, get out and/or use something else!!"

I like to have control of what I do, MS has no right to say my sound, video, or image files might compromise DRM!! Unlike MANY people I know, I actually own LEGIT licenses of XP for all 6 active systems in my house!!! I could easily use illegal copies of XP on my children's crappy systems, but that is NOT me! I believe in being legit and honest, too honest sometimes really!

Either way, it's really looking like the reviews or news being reported over the past year that Vista will kill MS, it may be the truth!! I really didn't want to see that because I have been pretty happy with Windows since XP, but with the DRM and other bullshit Vista brings........it might just have to happen!!
                    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#10 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

WHo knows what things will be like by then?

UBCD4Win and Knoppix will still be the best of each world ;)
                      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#11 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
                      • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

most probably yes accept for the knopix part. pclinuxos is much better.

#12 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
                        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

The nicest part about PE 2.0 is the sheer number of included mass storage drivers. I keep a copy of 2.0 in my binder just for running chkdsk on machines my regular pe disc doesn't support yet. Oh...it also loads perfectly well using ISOLinux :)

Watch out if your doing stuff with the mbr using the PE 2.0 tools (bootsect.exe). For an XP compatible boot sector you need to use the /nt52 switch.

Cheers

#13 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
                          • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

thats the only thing I'm really stumped on with bartspe. The bootfix and mbrfix tools.

#14 User is offline   Nuno Brito Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

View Postnick², on Nov 21 2006, 02:14 AM, said:

The dynamic USB device loading would be a very big plus..... However I'm not sure how I feel about the entirely into ram thing... With ~300 MB of windows system files that could get messy...

It can boot sized on 60Mb ISO's just like XP/2003 based boot disks and drivers can be custom added/removed quite nicely - also some more neat features that do allow you to leave the programs folder on your cd, only loading this reduced core to RAM if required.

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jan 17 2007, 12:38 AM, said:

The only possible issue we have with our UBCD4Vista, is going to be cash. Pretty much all members of the development team are going to be unable to afford the many costs that Vista are going to bring. I could probably get by personally because I have one of the faster systems in our team, however still have to cough up the cash for the Vista license. Then of course there is the "die hard" AMD 750 member of our team (whose identity will remain hidden) that just loves his processor and system too much!!

Good news: there's hardly any reason to buy a license - Windows PE 2.0 is a free download from MS found on the WAIK just like jotnar mentioned and tweaking a WinPE 2.0 only requires the same type of hardware used to built the present UBCD4win edition - it can be built from w2000 up to Vista - (I even have some good reasons to suspect compatibility for customizing winPE 2.0 from windows 3.51 running on NTFS partitions - it should be fun to check this one myself.. ;) )

Nightman, author of the vistaPE project is also handling wim images without imagex for some time now - his next release should be out soon and will only require the waik.

:)
                              Use the search tool to find all posts made by other members and help you solve any doubts quickly by yourself.
                              Whenever possible - place your questions including as many details as you can to help us help you - Thanks!

nuno? --> pics

#15 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
                              • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

You can now download the Windows Vista OPK from Microsoft's OEM site.

http://oem.microsoft.com

Cheers

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users