Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

forum password recovery recovering UBCD4WIN password

#1 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

I lost the cookie on my laptop that I normally use. I was unable to recover my password using the tools provided.

I remembered that an old computer also had the cookie, and I am presently using that computer.

Did password recovery get corrupted when hosts were changed?

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:56 PM

I can't address your question about the host change but...

I can tell you how to get your password back by running PS Passview from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html on the system you are able to get back online with.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

So you are saying the "forgot my password" option at login isn't working?
        At what point does it fail, this is the way it works:
        1. You click it and it the next screen asks for your user name and shows a security code.
        2. You should shortly after receive an email (to the email account you used at registration time) with a link.
        3. That link will take you to the forum where you enter your new password.

If you are not receiving the email, then double check your account with the computer that still has the cookie so you can change it if necessary. You may also have to check your spam settings for that email address and possibly add the www.ubcd4win.com domain to your allowed list.

I do not think the host change effected this but it could be possible. Generally when I have cookie problems it's caused by my browser.
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Nov 24 2006, 08:45 PM, said:

So you are saying the "forgot my password" option at login isn't working?
          At what point does it fail, this is the way it works:
          1. You click it and it the next screen asks for your user name and shows a security code.
          2. You should shortly after receive an email (to the email account you used at registration time) with a link.
          3. That link will take you to the forum where you enter your new password.

If you are not receiving the email, then double check your account with the computer that still has the cookie so you can change it if necessary. You may also have to check your spam settings for that email address and possibly add the www.ubcd4win.com domain to your allowed list.

I do not think the host change effected this but it could be possible. Generally when I have cookie problems it's caused by my browser.

I get the following message after typing in my user name and the image file contents:

Sorry, we don't have a member with that name in our records, please try again and double check the data you entered.

View Postrdsok, on Nov 24 2006, 04:56 PM, said:

I can't address your question about the host change but...

I can tell you how to get your password back by running PS Passview from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html on the system you are able to get back online with.

Great program for IE, but I have been using an old version of Mozilla. I found a view of the Mozilla password hash for UBCD4WIN forum. I am too tired tonight to think clearly about what I will do next. Maybe I can copy the Mozilla cookie into the IE cookie path...

#5 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

Your login name and display name were different??

When you register for the forum it allows you to create a login name and a display name. Yours were different so I went ahead and changed it. You should have received an email a few minutes ago.
            "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#6 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

:banana:

View PostSteelTrepid, on Nov 25 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

Your login name and display name were different??

When you register for the forum it allows you to create a login name and a display name. Yours were different so I went ahead and changed it. You should have received an email a few minutes ago.

Thanks much...

I don't recall doing this, but the fix worked.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users