Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

@mark847

Title: UBCD V4.0 beta 1
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/...?showtopic=7770

#182 User is offline   xibur Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

Given that UBCD (dos boot cd) no longer uses bcdw but isolinux, these instructions are no long valid. Also given that UBCD is now distributed as an ISO file, can some tell me whether or not we can include an ISO in the ubcd4win plug-ins like multi-boot directory?

It was distributed as an ISO since at least UBCD4DOS v3.4 (and I think v3.3 and older, but can't remember for sure now.) The UBCD4Win v3.04 config script "broke" with UBCD4DOS v4.x mainly because of the new isolinux boot method, not because of a change in the distributed file type. The plugin script would download a ZIP file, then extract the contents, which was an ISO file. Then, the ISO's files would get extracted to a "files" sub-folder, which would all get straight copied over during your UBCD4Win build process. The main problem was the switch to isolinux, which required a modified entry in bcdw.ini. (BCDW is able to launch isolinux. In other words, you can still have both UBCD4Win and UBCD4DOS on the same disc with the same initial boot menu screen as before, though there's a disc size consideration...)

You might check out this other thread for my solution:
      "UBCD (aka UBCD4DOS) update for v4.1.1+, including instructions, changelog, and improved CONFIG_UBCD.cmd"

#183 User is offline   xibur Icon

• PipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

Oh, and since you have ubcd410.iso already, you don't have to re-download it, or even the v4.1.1 ISO.

One option is to edit my script to use "version" ubcd410, put your ISO in the same folder as the script, and run the script. It should find the ISO (and avoid downloading anything), and set everything up for you.

Another option is to patch your ISO to update it to v4.1.1 first, and then you don't need to edit my script (but you do still need to replace the original script.) I'd give you more detailed instructions than the following, but I'm running out of time. If this isn't helpful enough, let me know:
        • At the bottom of UBCD4Dos's download page, right-click and save these two things: xdelta and the v4.1.0->v4.1.1 patch file.
        • Put those two files, and your ubcd410.iso file into some folder you can get to easily from a command prompt, such as c:\tmp.
        • Copy the following text, without quotes, to your clipboard (highlight, ctrl+c): "xdelta patch ubcd410to411.xdelta ubcd410.iso ubcd411.iso"
        • Start menu, Run, cmd, OK, (or winkey+r, cmd, Enter key.)
        • Type "cd \tmp" (or wherever your folder is, and without quotes)
        • Paste the command from the clipboard into the command prompt window (try right-click, or the control box of the top-left titlebar, edit, paste), and press enter.
        • Move the newly created ubcd411.iso to the plugin folder (same folder as CONFIG_UBCD.cmd.)
        • Double-click CONFIG_UBCD.cmd
        You can also check the md5sum of the new ubcd411.iso once it's created (I usually use a free program called HashTab), and delete the patch file and your old ubcd410.iso, when you're done.

#184 User is offline   benny pedersen Icon

• Pip
          • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

View Postdlevens, on Nov 29 2004, 06:20 PM, said:

Hmm,

The ISO is created ok, and even burns ok, but if I verify the data by putting a check in nero to verify burned data it has a ton of read errors.

...snip

Dennis

Hi Dennis

I wrote a VBS file for just that, see:
          http://www.photoshop...3121#post293121

Script simply compare two folders, writing the result as HTML, so we could read the differences...

Benny

#185 User is offline   Schnoodledorfer Icon

• Pip
            • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

IMO, this is something that has been dumbed-down too much. The UBCD configuration script is completely FUBAR ATM simply because www.pharry.org is currently off-line, even though there is no logical reason for me to want to connect to it in the first place! Why would I need to connect to www.pharry.org and download ubcd411.exe and extract ubcd411.iso from it when I already have ubcd411.iso sitting on my computer? This is the kind of thing that really frustrates me. Posted Image[/RANT]

Don't take me too seriously. I realize that it's not that difficult to add the UBCD image to the UBCD4Win, but given that the officially correct way didn't work, I'm not sure what is set up now as far as the menus are concerned, and what isn't. Plus I'll have to ignore the "Don't do this! Use the new script, instead" warnings that are posted all over the place. Plus I won't know how outdated/incorrect the information I'll be relying on is. So, in a way it's more difficult than if the script didn't exist in the first place.

Another issue, though, is what if the user wanted to use a different UBCD version than what the script uses? I guess he could run the script, find the ubcd411.iso, and replace it, but wouldn't it be better to allow for the user to supply the ISO? I mean, how many users would decide they wanted to include UBCD without being willing to go to the UBCD website? Once you are there, it's easy to download UBCD, yourself.

EDIT: As soon as I posted, I realized that the easiest thing to do is probably to find the batch file or script (.CMD?) that is supposed to do the configuration, and edit that. I'm going to eat supper first.

This post has been edited by Schnoodledorfer: 27 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

#186 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't you make a post in a thread that's over 3 years old bitching about a cmd script that doesn't quite fit your liking because it's "dumbed-down too much" (for you) and tries to download a file from a server that we have no control over (whether it's up or down at any given time)... And then don't bother sharing your "fixed" version with the rest of us.

I just wish the original developers of this script would've consulted with you when it was first conceived instead of attempting to do it on thier own...
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#187 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

Closing the thread since the methods described are now outdated since the Multi-Boot options were included with UBCD4Win.

If you have comments/questions concerning the current Multi-Boot plugins.. please create a new thread in the proper forum area.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

• (13 Pages)
                • +
                • « First
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users