Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard drive or SATA controller at fault?

#1 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

My 200gb SATA drive has gone pearshaped. If it's connected to my PC it takes 4-5 minutes for windows to load, I can hear it churning away no loud grinding noises are coming from the drive. About 3 months ago the drive crashed, all partition information went but I managed to recover the data but now it appears to have gone again maybe for good this time as the hdd doesn't show in device manager but the Highpoint controller does.

I'm going to try the SATA drive in another PC tomorrow so hopefully I may get the some things off although it's not crucial.

So any ideas as to what's the culprit SATA drive or the PCI SATA controller?

I've contacted Highpoint to see if they have any software that can test the PCI card, but I have a feeling that the seagate is at fault.
    RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#2 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: 911Cd Forum Guru

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

who is the manufacturer?

Also how old is the drive.

A few years back when allot of the manufacturers droped the warranty to one year I picked up quite a few drives and sure enough quite a few of them dies under two years.

Becasue of these issues I more or less by nothing but seagate drives anymore.

And yes it does sound like the drive. I don't do hard drive recovery but in your case it is most likely something on the pcb that has gone bad rather than phisical damage. The bad news is that the pcb going out could also cause phisical damage. Also the shops that do specialize in doing that type of recovery really charge for it.

#3 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
        • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

I got the drive in mid 2005, I've already got the rma organised if needed from Seagate as the warranty runs out in 2010. Not got any data on it that's essential just a few TV shows that I haven't watched so I would like them back if possible, hopefully when it's connected with a onboard SATA connector I may get long enough to get the files off before it dies.
        RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#4 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

also yes check on another controler first as I have had an old promise controler that would mess my drives up. Also being a seagate this is unusuall.

One other thing you can try but it is a last ditch thing. Is that you can put it in your freezer for maybe 30 minutes and then hook it up and try to get your data off of it. The bad part about this is that if the drive is not dead freezing it will kill it. It will give you maybe 30 minutes of usage to get your files though.

#5 User is offline   Joshua Icon

• Development Team
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development
            • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

View Postwebmedic, on Jan 23 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

Is that you can put it in your freezer for maybe 30 minutes and then hook it up and try to get your data off of it.

I also do that very often with bad drives, and it worked most time!!!

Joshua
            my plugin homepage:
            <a href="http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm</a>

#6 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:55 PM

The good old freezer trick, had some success in the past with that, although most drives that have failed at work recently have all had mechanical problems where it didn't work.

I've tried it in my son's PC and the onboard SATA raid does see the drive although I can't use it as it needs to be initialised which I fear may corrupt the data preventing getting any of the data off. Waiting till the morning when I can get it on normal SATA connector and see what happens.
              RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

#7 User is offline   webmedic Icon

• Ultimate Member
              • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

try the recuva program I just posted. It couldn't hurt.

#8 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Got the data off. The PC boot ran chkdsk on the first drive partition couldn't correct the errors as not enough space??

When Windows finished loading HDD was not in device manager, rebooted the PC and deleted the first partition on the drive as it contained my pagefile, rebooted into windows and the drive was there and the data was accessible.

Copied off all the data I needed. Ran seatools no errors reported, formatted the drive and did a surface test, no errors. Ran Seatools again and still no errors!!!

I'm wondering now if it could also have been the SATA cable causing the problem. I may try running the drive again but this time using a different SATA cable and see what happens.

At least I've got my TV shows back that I haven't watched.
                  RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

#9 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Members
                    • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Why did you have your pagefile on another partition? You know that's now a known myth that that helps anything right?

XP Myths said:

Moving the Paging File

Myth - "Moving the Paging File to a different partition on the same drive improves performance."

Reality - "Moving the Paging File (pagefile.sys) to a different partition on the same physical hard disk drive does not improve performance. Simply using a different partition on the same drive will result in lots more head-seeking activity, as the drive jumps between the Windows and paging file partitions. Even though moving the paging file in this case can have the positive effect of defragmenting it, the loss in I/O performance out weighs any gains. It is better to simply defragment the paging file using PageDefrag and keep maximum I/O performance by leaving the paging file where it is with a single drive setup. - Source

Notes - However you can enhance performance by putting the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly. When the paging file is on the boot partition, Windows must perform disk reading and writing requests on both the system folder and the paging file. When the paging file is moved to a different partition and a different physical hard disk drive, there is less competition between reading and writing requests."

http://mywebpages.co...CD/XPMyths.html

:)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                    "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                    "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                    "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                    "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                    "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#10 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jan 24 2007, 02:52 PM, said:

Why did you have your pagefile on another partition? You know that's now a known myth that that helps anything right?

XP Myths said:

Moving the Paging File

Notes - However you can enhance performance by putting the paging file on a different partition and on a different physical hard disk drive. That way, Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly. When the paging file is on the boot partition, Windows must perform disk reading and writing requests on both the system folder and the paging file. When the paging file is moved to a different partition and a different physical hard disk drive, there is less competition between reading and writing requests."

http://mywebpages.co...CD/XPMyths.html

:)

Because I have 4 HDD's I don't keep the paging file on my WinXP partition it's on a seperate HDD altogether. The drive which went I use for storage etc....
                      RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

#11 User is offline   Joshua Icon

• Development Team
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Moderator & Development
                        • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

View Poststidyup, on Jan 24 2007, 03:17 PM, said:

Ran seatools no errors reported, formatted the drive and did a surface test, no errors.

What is the temperature of your harddisk after 2 hours of using ?
                        I often has similar problems with harddisk, if the temperature is over 50C.
                        Since 1 year, my Seagate St3160021 has a harddisk-cooler and temperature is now
                        35C (95F), and all problems are gone !!!
                        All system i build for my customers have a harddisk-cooler, and the all have no problems.

Joshua
                        my plugin homepage:
                        <a href="http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm</a>

#12 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

All 4 drives have hard disk coolers.

It's ran OK on the PC I've had it connected to at work all day fine.

I'm beginning to suspect it's more the SATA controller card. Maybe time to upgrade to a dual core cpu :)
                          RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users