• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PreLogon Expires Tomorrow?

#1 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip
    • Group: BETA Tester

Post icon  Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

I was doing my usual testing with new drivers and whatnot when I stumbled upon something potentially very bad for everyone who uses UBCD4WIN 3.0.3. On my test machine I have a BIOS date of January 30th 2007 (incorrect I know), and upon UBCD's boot an error message comes up. "Expiration Date For This Version Has Been Reached !" The error message title bar reads "PreLogon". The only option you have to click is "OK" and when you do so it restarts the machine. If I go into the BIOS and put the correct date in, UBCD will boot fine. Please confirm this.

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

Build your disk again... this is a feature that is done that way on purpose so in the event that you loose your CD that you built others can't use it after that time period... you can also disable this or even password protect it. If you wish to disable, before you build go into the Plugin's section and click the Config button when you have the !Critical - Prelogon plugin highlighted ... enter the info you want for expiration or password... or remove all info and apply if you do not want it to expire or have a password.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Ah, I did not know that was a built in feature. Thank you for enlightening me. I have only one problem with pressing the Config button.
        Posted Image

I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1

Update: Had to copy the DLL and register it, its working now.

This post has been edited by KCarney: 29 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

#4 User is offline   jasee Icon

• Pip
          • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

This has just happened to me
          This is a little annoying, it looks as though it's enabled by default.
          I've created a few very different ubcd's and it looks as though they're all going to expire :-(

#5 User is offline   MMJ Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

Today I booted off my UBCD and got the message: "Expiration for this version has been reached!" with the title of the windows "PreLogon"

When I click OK it justs restarts the computer.

Why do I get this message? Why is it expired? I built the UBCD a couple weeks ago. :blink:

So I have to rebuild it? So by following the instructions above I won't get it anymore?

#6 User is offline   jasee Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

View PostMMJ, on Jan 30 2007, 11:26 AM, said:

Today I booted off my UBCD and got the message: "Expiration for this version has been reached!" with the title of the windows "PreLogon"

When I click OK it justs restarts the computer.

Why do I get this message? Why is it expired? I built the UBCD a couple weeks ago. :blink:

So I have to rebuild it? So by following the instructions above I won't get it anymore?

It looks like by default it's set to give you a month's use from the time you start the build with three 'trials'

Its simplest to rebuild it and either AFAICT disable that feature or if you've still got the isos and and iso editor you could create a new PRELOGON.INI and insert it into the iso. Dated for 10 years time! (Should be enough!) Not sure about the number of trials (the maximum number is 9, apparently) This works BTW I've just done it.

This post has been edited by jasee: 30 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

#7 User is offline   KCarney Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

I believe the "trials" is only used if you have "PreLogonPasswd=" and "PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=" configured. It seems like it is the amount of failed login attempts.

#8 User is offline   Cellar Dweller Icon

• PipPip
                  • Interests:Computers, 3D Animation and Graphics, Gaming

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Its simplest to rebuild it and either AFAICT disable that feature or if you've still got the isos and and iso editor you could create a new PRELOGON.INI and insert it into the iso. Dated for 10 years time! (Should be enough!) Not sure about the number of trials (the maximum number is 9, apparently) This works BTW I've just done it.

Does anyone understand how to create a Crypted Date? The Prelogon.ini file uses a crypted date and not a simple month/day/year.

Does anyone know how to configure this item properly without actually disabling the feature altogether??? More or less how do you get something to create the crypted date as used? I think this is a good feature if you could set it up properly to disable the cd over time.

Great for those that have it and you want it to self destruct on them, if you catch my drift... :lol:

Or

Can you just leave both items in the Prelogon.ini = (nothing at all) for the dates leaving those sections blank so that it never expires?

This post has been edited by Cellar Dweller: 30 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe v2.0 Nforce 2 (1008)
                  AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)
                  Corsair PC3200C2 DDR 400 (3 Gig) (Dual Channel)
                  PNY 6800 Ultra 256Mb
                  Plextor PX-716A DVDRW+
                  (2) 80 Gig Seagate SATA (Non-RAID)
                  Dell 2407 Wide Screen Flat Panel
                  Mad Dog 600 Watt Modular PSU

#9 User is offline   jasee Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

View PostCellar Dweller, on Jan 30 2007, 03:54 PM, said:

Does anyone understand how to create a Crypted Date? The Prelogon.ini file uses a crypted date and not a simple month/day/year.

The file's not exactly encripted AFAICT: if you alter the day by one, the number just increases by one. Months and years _may_ be more complicated.

Best to create a new one with a ten year expiry date!

#10 User is offline   Joshua Icon

• Development Team
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Moderator & Development
                      • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

View Postjasee, on Jan 30 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

if you leave the entry's blank, it did not expiry!
                      you can use PreLogonConfig under plugins, to easy configure your own values!

Joshua
                      my plugin homepage:
                      <a href="http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm</a>

#11 User is offline   jasee Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostJoshua, on Jan 30 2007, 04:51 PM, said:

View Postjasee, on Jan 30 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

Thanks, thats useful to know, I was wondering as it doesn't seem to be disable-able? At least, when I tried to disable it your window still came up with the choice of shell which I think is part of it?

#12 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

View Postjasee, on Jan 30 2007, 02:06 PM, said:

Thanks, thats useful to know, I was wondering as it doesn't seem to be disable-able? At least, when I tried to disable it your window still came up with the choice of shell which I think is part of it?
                          PreLogon does other things also so it can not be disabled or the build will fail completely. This is why that portion of it is located in 2 different folders. From the builders "Plugin" window select: !Critical: Joshuas-WinPE-PreLogon Config - and press the CONFIG button to adjust the experation date. If you leave them blank it will never expire.

If you still have the output folder (.\ubcd4win\bartpe) you can edit the file .\bartpe\i386\system32\prelogon.ini and remove the experation dates by leaving the 2 entries blank that controll it. Then just run the builder & press F5 to rebuild the ISO.

If you only have the ISO you can use an ISO editor to replace the file .\i386\system32\prelogon.ini with a newly created file from the plugins config option.

I must say that I actually had this problem myself last night when running a new test build in verbose mode (that took like 30minutes) when I booted it all I got was the dreaded... "Erperation date for this version has been reached!!".... BUMMER.

At the time I did not realise that this issue was going to effect EVERYONE or I would have posted a warning, I was not happy either.

There are so many "Finishing steps" that have to be done for each release that it is easy to miss something like the experation date, all we can say is... OOPS. :surrender:
                          Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#13 User is offline   jasmc1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Any change I make to the date will say it applies, but then when I check it again it has reverted back to the original date.
                            I was able to get it to boot by disabling it as well. Any idea why this worked?

#14 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
                            • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

View Postjasmc1, on Jan 30 2007, 09:18 PM, said:

Any change I make to the date will say it applies, but then when I check it again it has reverted back to the original date.
                              I was able to get it to boot by disabling it as well. Any idea why this worked?

As long as you hit the apply button, it's added to the file. If you re-open the plug-in with the config button it just shows the default value.. Just enter your info and hit apply then quit and build. The values you change will be reflected in the build....

#15 User is offline   smiley Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

View PostJoshua, on Jan 30 2007, 05:51 PM, said:

I'm afraid, no. Same here, no values filled in, but says "expired" =:-((
                                this seems to be the date of the executable, not the date set in the ini.

This post has been edited by smiley: 31 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

• (3 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users