UBCD4Win Forums: Vista AntiVirus software - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vista AntiVirus software ....what is the "best"?

#1 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

I haven't really mentioned this publicly yet until now. I have a new laptop now thanks to my boss being awesome!! Well, it's a loan so I do have to pay it back....but I still greatly appreciate it because I didn't have the money or credit to do it on my own. Business has been up so I've been working a lot, so I should be able to pay him back pretty quickly. Normally I only work 2-3 days a week but like I said business is up so I've been full time for the past few weeks. Good for me and my finances, but bad for the project since I haven't had much time to do much lately.

Anyways, the purchase was made because of many reasons but really I couldn't pass up the deal. $600 for a Turion64 2.0GHz, 1Gig memory, nVidia 64MB video, wireless, and the "topper"....Vista Home Premium! Vista was the main reason why I really wanted a new laptop. I wanted to see for myself what a user would go through when trying to transition from XP to Vista. I also wanted a Vista system I used all the time, that way I could provide better support to our customer......I think that is the main reason why my boss gave me the loan.

The night I/my boss bought the laptop I was really doubting my decision. I ran into several problems and was very unhappy. I honestly slept little that night because I kept waking up thinking about what I should do. Should I take the easy way out by just installing XP and enjoying the extra "horsepower" from a new system? Should I tough it out and do what I really wanted to do....test Vista more. It's kinda sad that WE have to still test Vista even though it is now officially released, but at moments it seems that way!

It's just too bad that I really can't "document" my experience from the first night. I of course wanted to blame my issues on the "crapware" that HP/Compaq preinstalled on my system. However I do kinda think in hindsight that the issues started when I installed Kaspersky? The next morning I did end up doing a "clean install" with our OEM copy of Home Premium at work. I was very happy that my product key was accepted, however did have to call the activation center! I also had some very interesting discussions with HP chat assistance the night after purchasing the system. Basically, I was promised a "clean" HP OEM DVD of Vista Premium.....one that is supposed to not include their "crapware". I have received several confirmation/shipped emails so I think they are actually sending me something! I do still doubt that it will be "crapware" free!
    The first conversation I had was basically me complaining about their "crapware" and the fact that there are NO drivers on their site for my laptop. I mentioned many times that I did a clean install without their "crapware" and just wanted the drivers for the devices on this system. It's just too bad that the driver install required a reboot, because that made me lose the conversation with the "good" guy.
    Upon reboot, I still had an unknown device. So me being a jerk, I had to contact them again. This time I did my same complaining about the "crapware" and other things. I got a little frustrated with her and basically asked her, you should have a list of the devices on my system....let's go through a list! We attempted that, but after a few questions....she pulled out the "profanity card!" I call it that because she said that she couldn't support me or my questions because I violated something, by doing a "clean install" without their disc I am not covered by their warranty anymore!!! I think a lot of people would have probably did what I did??? I told her to piss off.

ANYWAYS....THE POINT OF THIS POST!!
    I'm sure my long "story" has lost the interest of MANY people, so I'm doubting that I will get an answer to this post.
    Kaspersky evidently may have or was the problem? I spent several hours today reading posts and found little (really almost NO) answers to my questions.
    I just basically want to know what is the best AV software for Vista right now? I own licenses for Kaspersky so I don't want to give them up. I also recommend AVG to all my customers and use the free version on my boy's computers. My systems have to have the best security possible and I need to find that. Like I've mentioned in the past, my system isn't protected just for myself.....it's protected for hundreds of thousands of people. A virus, malware, etc. cannot sneak it's way into the project files on my computer because that would be a disaster!
    This is really tough because I know Kaspersky is one of the best and I really like AVG also. It's so hard because right now one may work really well, but then another will take over the top spot in a few months. Please help me, this is the longest I've gone with no AV software installed on one of my systems............I haven't migrated the project files here yet because of this fact, so everyone is still safe.
    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

Since I've already discussed the following with Steel and he knows my recommendations in this area... I'll summerize them for others concerning Grisoft's AVG line of products... ( which I'm partial too since I'm also one of the AVG Free Forum mod's )...

Grisoft has just released the 7.5.441 version of AVG Free which addressed the only known issues of AVG Free with Vista ( 32bit version only since it doesn't support the 64bit OS's ). This release was just made today but everything is looking good and as always AVG provides great protection like Steel said.

The AVG Pro line has worked for quite some time ( 1-2 months with the RTM and released versions ) with Vista ( both 32 and 64 bit versions ). My personal favorite is the AVG Pro AntiMalware which covers both viral and spyware issues but all of their products are pretty cool.

I suspect that with many softwares out there... there will be many additional issues found when run on Vista... after all its only been officially released for only a week+ and real issues don't start to get found until after the masses have run a program on all the different combinations of software/hardware... These types of issues are what it means to be on the "bleeding edge".
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for providing more information in your post Randy. I apologize for not mentioning our discussion from earlier tonight, but my post was and is already TOO long. I called you first because I do value your knowledge/opinion A LOT, but I still feel I have to discuss this more. Most likely, I will go with AVG.....unless something else happens with Kaspersky or others post some information.

I did also fail to mention that I am very pleased with Vista so far! All of the programs I personally use work just fine in Vista. This $600 laptop isn't a powerhouse, but it is a step up when compared to my old one. I am honestly surprised that it performs as well as it does AND supports the Aero interface! Most people know I'm an Intel backer, but this AMD processor is doing a good job so far! For the money, it is performing very well......I would have prefered a Core 2 Duo processor, but couldn't afford the $900+ price tag! Also don't like the Intel graphics, why the hell doesn't a $900 system have at least 64MB of dedicated video memory??? Why only 8MB?? I think Intel needs to buy nVidia or someone??? With AMD's ATI purchase, they really need to do something! Intel onboard graphics have pretty much always sucked, they should have been the ones to purchase ATI......especially considering nVidia has for the most part backed AMD in the past. They have chipsets for AMD mobo's!!!!
        Intel OWNS the processor market again (finally), now they need to step it up again by doing something A LOT better for graphics!

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:02 AM

No need to apologize... the info was for everyone else to have to help them have some info for their comparisons. I do think ( or hope ) that others will provide info about this on their preferred AV's or others they have experience with.

While I'm not a Symantec fan to say the least... I've heard that NAV also has a fix for their latest version that correct the known issues it may have. ( I bet it still slows down a system like a dog though ... ) ( could not help that commentary .. sorry )
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
            • Group: Moderator
            • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:54 AM

PCTools AntiVirus

This says it will work with Vista and is free.

Download the free version now and discover why people are switching to PC Tools AntiVirus.

Released: December 22, 2006
            Size: 14,502 KB
            Platforms: Windows Vista™, XP and 2000
            However from memory can't find the source I did read a query over the PC Tools statement as apparently the company they get the engine from still doesn't support Vista.

Avast

The new Windows Vista operating system brings increased productivity and dependability as well as many security enhancements. Nonetheless, the risk of malware infection on this platform is still relatively high. Effective protection is a must.

We are glad to announce that the latest versions of all avast! antivirus editions, including the free Home Edition, now support the new Windows Vista platform (both 32-bit and 64-bit builds).

Most existing antivirus applications are unable to operate correctly under Windows Vista. This is because this operating system introduces a number of new features that influence the way system-level programs work (this is true especially in the x64 editions of Vista). The award-winning avast! antivirus product line was recently updated to accommodate these enhacements and provide Windows Vista users with maximum security against all kinds of malware.

With the public release of RTM version of Windows Vista in November 2006, ALWIL Software anticipates massive deployment of this new platform, especially among home users. These users appreciate new features of Windows Vista such as the new Aero interface, enhanced support for mobile computing, and improved full-text search, and now, thanks to avast! antivirus, users can also be thoroughly protected against malicious threats.

Note: The minimum version of avast! Home/Professional Edition compatible with Windows Vista is 4.7.892.

I've used Avast in the past and found it pretty useful but I've only used Sophos and McAfee for years as these are the ones used at work.

Sophos V6.5 works on Vista along with McAfee Enterprise 8.5i (not sure about home products).

@ AV Comparatives Avast (Alwil) has better detection than AVG in both tests.

Virus Bulletin

NB you will need to register with the site to view, however for me the AV Comparatives results should hold more weight.
            RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#6 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
              • Group: Moderator
              • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:45 AM

Avira forums

AntiVir should be available sometime in April for Vista.
              RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#7 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Members
                • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

In my opinion, if you want just anti-virus, then use NOD32 for Vista. Otherwise, Kaspersky if you want the whole suite of things (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware, etc.). If there was any other choice, it would be the Bitdefender suite. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thank you for the responses so far. Thanks to the first experience, I'm too scared to attempt anything still. I have the laptop setup pretty much the way I want it now and do not want to have to take the chance of starting over again.

#9 User is offline   gduer Icon

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Feb 9 2007, 12:18 AM, said:

This is really tough because I know Kaspersky is one of the best and I really like AVG also. It's so hard because right now one may work really well, but then another will take over the top spot in a few months. Please help me, this is the longest I've gone with no AV software installed on one of my systems............I haven't migrated the project files here yet because of this fact, so everyone is still safe.

Is the HP/Compaq a pre sorry o model? :unsure:

You get that type of technical support when you are not in the Professional models.

The only antivirus I have had any experience with Vista has been Symantec Corporate version 10.1 and then 10.2 The 10.1 on the RC versions of vista but they were so unstable do not know if it was the symantec or the RC that caused that. 10.2 sersion has not been causing any problems on the Busness Vista Version so far.

#10 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

You are correct.

For $600 though, I really don't think I went wrong. It's able to run the Aero interface and performs really well!!

I contacted support again last night for drivers for the nVidia graphics. Didn't take too long for them to respond and it's nice to have drivers dated 1/31/07 rather than 11/1/06....I think??
                      I do want to report also, that I did receive my "recovery DVD" yesterday!! Very nice to "work the system" and get what I should have received when I bought the laptop!! It's nice that I was able to get mine for FREE!! However, I'm still wondering if it's a "clean"/"crapware" free DVD?? Luckily for me, it doesn't really matter....I'll use an OEM DVD from work if I ever have to reinstall!! I just still feel bad/sorry for the people out there that don't know to ask for the DVD and that end up getting screwed over.

#11 User is offline   jftuga Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Feb 11 2007, 10:19 PM, said:

I just still feel bad/sorry for the people out there that don't know to ask for the DVD and that end up getting screwed over.

Maybe a generalized version of this could be added to the FAQ?

-John

#12 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hi all

I tried out Vista Beta 2 and latter Vista release candidate 1
                          (booting alongside Win 98SE, XP and Bart PE Builder)
                          I don't intend to upgrade for some time yet and when the beta expires I will remove it

Computer Associates were giving a free trial of their AV software to Vista beta testers,
                          so they have plenty of experience in getting it working with Vista
                          It ran without causing any problems.

You don't know how good a product is unless you have problems with it or it detects viruses or fails to do so.

Norton AV 2005 also scanned my disks and occasionally removed files without asking permission first.
                          (often utilities from the ubcd4win project)

regards
                          Mike Barnes

#13 User is offline   gduer Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Feb 11 2007, 10:19 PM, said:

You are correct.

For $600 though, I really don't think I went wrong. It's able to run the Aero interface and performs really well!!

I contacted support again last night for drivers for the nVidia graphics. Didn't take too long for them to respond and it's nice to have drivers dated 1/31/07 rather than 11/1/06....I think??
                            I do want to report also, that I did receive my "recovery DVD" yesterday!!

A lot of the manufactures are that way. If you do not ask them for it within the first 30-90 days they charge you for it afterwards. Usually not like buying OEM O/S disk but 30-50 dollars

#14 User is offline   lawson23 Icon

• Ultra Member
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

Late reply as I'm sure you already have purchased something.

I have been running Vista64 ultimate and I choose NOD32 because they had good 64 support which most av products don't have yet.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users