Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need serious help Severe issues

#1 User is offline   shepjn Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

I have a laptop that has the BIOS password set, as well as a password on the HD, I have not used to cpu in a long time. The Laptop is a Dell Insperion it does not have a FDD only a cdrom. I can bypass the HD password however it will inturn lock out the HD and then when it attempts to boot it is unable to find the OS. I have tried opening it and have been unsuccessful in finding the CMOS battery so I put it back togeather, I have also tried the backdoor BIOS password for dell pc's and that does not work either.

I am currently downloading UBCD4Win now, when I complete the download how do I go about making the CD bootable, or will it allready be bootable, and from there does the UBCD have any tools or apps that I can use to reset the BIOS password? Thanks, any support or advice is GREATLY appreciated!

This post has been edited by shepjn: 27 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:29 AM

Be carefull resetting passwords on a laptop or you could render it useless.

Some laptops have INSTANT ON or POWER ON passwords that cannot be defeated without a specialy edited flopy disk that must be booted.
      There is some hex editing involved on a flopy disk that when booted will allow access to some of these systems but they are all different.
      In your case you would have to add a floppy drive before attempting to try this method, which I will not provide here for security reasons.

Not all laptops can have the bios reset jsut by removing the battery, which is very hard to find sometimes.
      Look for a shrinkwrapped LI battery (1/2 inch or smaller) normally yellow or black shrinkwrap, with 2 wires in a lead about 3 inches long that attaches to the mainboard with a 1/8 inch white (normally) connector. Most of the time this battery is located between the mainboard and the case which makes it hard to see or find. Follow all the leads comming from the mainboard to locate it. I've see quite a few that were located in the memory compartment, and slid between a circuit board and the case so they are out of the way, but that makes them hard to find.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
      • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi shepjn

With many Laptops from Dell, HP & IBM etc the HD & Bios passwords are help on a chip, removing the cmos battery will have no effect.
        There are companies who will charge you various amounts of money to clear the password. (google for info)
        How much depends if this chip is soldered to the motherboard or in a socket.

If you are the original purchaser of this Dell Inspiron direct from Dell contact their customer support for advice

UBCD4win can not help you if your hard disk is locked, not even if hard disk is removed and put in another PC

regards
        Mike Barnes

#4 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
          • Group: Donators

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

View Postmbarnes, on Jun 28 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

Hi shepjn

With many Laptops from Dell, HP & IBM etc the HD & Bios passwords are help on a chip, removing the cmos battery will have no effect.
          There are companies who will charge you various amounts of money to clear the password. (google for info)
          How much depends if this chip is soldered to the motherboard or in a socket.

If you are the original purchaser of this Dell Inspiron direct from Dell contact their customer support for advice

UBCD4win can not help you if your hard disk is locked, not even if hard disk is removed and put in another PC

regards
          Mike Barnes

I have an OEM Dell CD to clear the CMOS password on Laptops. PM me and I will e-mail it to you. It's a 333kb zip file...
          Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

#5 User is offline   gduer Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

View Postshepjn, on Jun 28 2007, 12:35 AM, said:

I have a laptop that has the BIOS password set, as well as a password on the HD, I have not used to cpu in a long time. The Laptop is a Dell Insperion it does not have a FDD only a cdrom. I can bypass the HD password however it will inturn lock out the HD and then when it attempts to boot it is unable to find the OS. I have tried opening it and have been unsuccessful in finding the CMOS battery so I put it back togeather, I have also tried the backdoor BIOS password for dell pc's and that does not work either.

I am currently downloading UBCD4Win now, when I complete the download how do I go about making the CD bootable, or will it allready be bootable, and from there does the UBCD have any tools or apps that I can use to reset the BIOS password? Thanks, any support or advice is GREATLY appreciated!

You can call Dell support support and give them your serial and password message and after they verify notebook really belongs to you will give you could to clear...

#6 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

from another forum:

try this if it works let us know please:
              dellpass.exe
              http://www.postbox.w...uk/dellpass.exe
              down load ,double click icon

Enter the complete system ID at the prompt.

e.g.: 8WG030J-D35B
              program will give: jgnijfyj

This _ONLY_ works for -D35B numbers (at least afaik).

Note, that on German keyboards, y and z are switched.

After this, the service tag could change to e.g. 8WG030J-595B.
              ................................................................................
              bendywendy
              Apr 20 2006, 03:16 PM
              Hi

Thank you both for your help. I actually rang Dell and completed a change of ownership, just by telling them I had bought it second hand and the person I bought it from and they gave the password. Thanks for your help.
              ....................................................................
              regards Ben
              :unsure:

#7 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Banned

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

A quick search turned up one of my posts from over a year ago on this matter:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/...p...ost&p=26181

But because this board only allows editing by a few folks, links/posts can become unnecessarily quickly outdated. As such, you'll find the latest link to the Dell PW reset ISO here:
                http://rapidshare.com/files/5379628/DellBIOSReset.rar

DW

:)

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

After all the years of explaining why we do not allow it.....you continue to be an old cry baby about this?? Your immature behavior only helps reinforce our reasoning behind our decision.

If you need something updated or changed, be a man about it and contact one of us!! Seriously, we will find the time to update almost anything you would want us to!
                  "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#9 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:15 PM

Back on topic... :surrender:

Thanks to ben_mott and DigiWiz for the links. Are these files redistributable?
                    If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#10 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:52 AM

I have never used that utility Myself, and the Utility the other Member posted seem to
                      install new service tag.
                      I found an old Dell and put a Bios pass word on it and the program I posted was
                      useless.
                      sorry!!!
                      I used ISObuster to extract the bootable floppy from the ISO the other member posted a link to
                      and this is the read me file on it.:
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------

SVCTAG.EXE

What does this utility do?
                      This utility is used to re-program the system service tag on certain
                      Dell Portable systems. The utility may only work on systems which
                      already have a service tag programmed. If no service tag currently
                      exists, the utility may return an error message and fail.

To program the service tag on a system that does not already have one:

- For Value-line systems:
                      Run EE-Value.exe /S=XXXXXXX, where XXXXXXX is alphanumeric and all
                      letters are capitalized.

- For SmartStep/Smart PC 200N/250N:
                      Run STAG_W1.EXE /W XXXXXXX, where XXXXXXX is alphanumeric and all
                      letters are capitalized.

- For all other systems:
                      Run ASSET.COM /S XXXXXXX, where XXXXXXX is the new service tag.

USAGE:
                      Boot from the diskette and follow the on-screen prompts to erase and
                      program a new service tag.

See the comments in AUTOEXEC.BAT on how to automate the process.

General Information:
                      This diskette contains 6 main programs or program types:
                      1. SVCTAG.EXE
                      2. 6 varieties of EE-ERASE
                      - EE-CP.EXE
                      - EE-CPA.EXE
                      - EE-CPB.EXE
                      - EE-LS.EXE
                      - EE-LS2.EXE
                      - EE-VALUE.EXE
                      - STAG.EXE
                      - STAG_W1.EXE
                      3. 3 varieties of ASSET
                      - ASSET.COM
                      - EE-VALUE.EXE
                      - STAG_W1.EXE
                      4. NICSET.EXE
                      5. FDD_RCL.EXE
                      6. SVCTAG.INF

1. SVCTAG.EXE is called from autoexec.bat. It is a utility that
                      determines if the system on which it is being executed is supported
                      by the disk. If so, it determines which type of system it is, using
                      the system ID byte. This information is gathered from either SMBOIS
                      calls or XBIOS calls, if SMBIOS fails. The utility also uses these
                      calls to determine if a service tag is currently programmed on the
                      system. If one isn't programmed, there is no need to run EE-ERASE
                      so the utility goes directly to the ASSET program.

2. Based on the information gathered, SVCTAG.EXE launches the
                      appropriate version of EE-Erase.

Each of these utilities can be run stand-alone. For EE-CPA.EXE, the
                      -forcetype command line switch may be required.

3. The appropriate version of ASSET program is then launched.
                      SVCTAG.EXE first asks the user the enter the new service tag (twice
                      for verification) then passes that value to ASSET when it is
                      launched.

The ASSET programs can be run as a stand-alone utilities as noted
                      above.

4. NICSET.EXE is launched by SVCTAG.EXE after EE_ERASE if the system
                      is a Latitude C610 or Inspiron 4100. NICSET is needed in order to
                      unhide and enable the onboard NIC, which is disabled by EE-ERASE.

5. FDD_RCL.EXE is the launched from AUTOEXEC.BAT after SVCTAG.EXE. It
                      performs a Recalibrate operation on the floppy diskette drive.
                      The purpose of this utility is to ensure the FDD head is moved to
                      track 0 in preperation for transport.
                      It is important to power off the system immediately after this
                      utility is run in order to guarantee the head remains at track 0.

6. SVCTAG.INF is the text file contains vendor name, system id, ee-erase,
                      erase options, asset and asset options. This file is processed
                      by svctag.exe. The program goes through this file line by line
                      and searches for system id and BIOS vendor string which match the
                      system ID and BIOS vendor string read from the system on which
                      the utility is being run. If a match is found, the corresponding
                      line will be parsed and the executables and command line options
                      from that line will be used to erase and program the service tag.

======================================================================

Supported Systems

All Dell Portable Systems

======================================================================

readme.txt
                      updated 07/10/03
                      ......................................................................
                      From another forum:
                      A reliable method can be found here:
                      http://www.cgsecurity.org/
                      look for Password recovery.

Try the backdoor password Dell

Christophe Grenier has written a program that will calculate the master BIOS password for Dell Latitudes from the Service Tag number. That program is available at http://www.users.glo....s/latitude.exe.

http://www.users.glo...ps/latitude.exe

..............................................................................

there is no conformation that any of these work!! no body seem to come back and say hey that worked !!!!

Regards Ben
                      :unsure:

#11 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                      • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hi All

better late than never

I would like to thank Larry for supplying the bios password resest utility for Dell laptops
                        It is a small iso image for burning onto a CD

I could not try it out earlier as the laptop was still in regular use

I have a few Inspiron 4100 's which I set & recorded (so I thought) the admin password
                        This stops bios upgrades.

The Disk & Bios passwords, asset tag and service tag are stored in a EPROM chip.
                        If this chip is erased the passwords are cleared.
                        The program documentation refered to Asset tag which is an optional entry but changed the service tag instead.

This utility is useful if you need to clear bios passwords or fit a replacement laptop motherboard
                        The readme refers to all Dell portables, presumably that related to those available at the file date of 20/09/2005 and mentions D610 & I4100 models

I knew and removed the hard disk password first as I had read that without the correct password the disk would have to be low level formatted before further use.

regards

Mike Barnes

#12 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
                          • Group: Donators

Post icon  Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

View Postmbarnes, on Jul 16 2007, 03:45 PM, said:

Hi All

better late than never

I would like to thank Larry for supplying the bios password resest utility for Dell laptops
                          It is a small iso image for burning onto a CD

I could not try it out earlier as the laptop was still in regular use

I have a few Inspiron 4100 's which I set & recorded (so I thought) the admin password
                          This stops bios upgrades.

The Disk & Bios passwords, asset tag and service tag are stored in a EPROM chip.
                          If this chip is erased the passwords are cleared.
                          The program documentation refered to Asset tag which is an optional entry but changed the service tag instead.

This utility is useful if you need to clear bios passwords or fit a replacement laptop motherboard

The readme refers to all Dell portables, presumably that related to those available at the file date of 20/09/2005 and mentions D610 & I4100 models

I knew and removed the hard disk password first as I had read that without the correct password the disk would have to be low level formatted before further use.

regards

Mike Barnes

Thanks for the mention Mike, but DigWiz gets the credit. I couldn't remember where I got the password tool when I posted about it, but remembered after DigWiz posted about it. Anyway, glad I could be of some help :)
                          Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users