• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New download options available

#1 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

In an effort to help control the size of the project and remove "problematic" plugins, tools have been removed from recent releases.

I am proud to announce that I have finally had an excellent idea!! Due to the project being semi-popular, the site and forum really suck up the resources available on our server. So for the past few years downloads haven't really been possible. I've attempted to offer different downloads but think that it has caused problems with the site and forum. I've had a few ideas on this, such as selecting a mirror to provide the downloads.

I appreciate our mirrors but also appreciate being able to go to a site and just download something. Because of the latter, I have wanted to be able to provide direct links for these smaller downloads. Hosting costs money and most mirrors aren't willing to provide direct links to downloads because they need help in recovering their hosting/mirroring costs. So users need to visit the mirror site and hopefully a few will click on the ads on the site so some hosting costs are recovered by the income made from those ads.
    Convenience is another aspect to the equation. It's much easier for me to upload new plugins or changes if I have that access. My life is busy so I'll admit that I don't have the time to email mirrors, respond to emails, etc. So really, in order for me to do something and/or get it done, I need to be able to do it now.

So anyways, we now have a new domain: ubcd4windownloads.com. I plan NO HTML pages for this domain but it could be possible in the future if needed. My focus on this domain and the hosting for it is strictly for downloads. If the current host cannot handle the "load", then maybe I will purchase additional domains and hosting plans?

I'm hoping that with these additional domains and hosting plans that we will be able to provide more for the users of the project. I'm hoping that we can get more user requests taken care of and we will be able to provide faster availability for new plugins. I am also willing to host new plugins that users create and want posted for others to use in UBCD4Win. Send me an email if you need something like this.

Check out the "download" page. I've added links to the plugins that have been removed from the past 2 releases of the project. If you liked Scribe, ClamWin, NetCat, etc., those old plugins are available for download.

One final thing though. I hope users understand and appreciate what we are doing with these additional expenses. My goal has always been to help users. So please, donations are more important than ever. If you are financially able and UBCD4Win has helped you, please consider donating.
    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

Page 1 of 1
    • You cannot start a new topic
    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users