• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bit Defender anti virus 2008 problems created false positives and build errors

#1 User is offline   leoliver Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

As the UBCD4Win web-site states , anti-virus software , including Bit Defender anti-virus 2008 will give false positive virus warnings during the install of the UBCD4Win software.
    I also had errors ( driver copy errors ) , when building a UBCD4Win iso. image , that I didn't have with Bit Defender anti-virus 2008 disabled.
    I would suggest that Bit Defender anti-virus 2008 be disabled when installing or using UBCD4Win .

#2 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

As with any other A/V software should be disabled when building the UBCD4Win. It's just good practice as it will always be impossible to have every single A/V vendor put us on their whitelist (or the GOOD separate programs within the UBCD4Win). :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

As usual, this is a false positive being made by your antivirus program. This often happens with many antivirus programs and the main cause is from the fact that the malware authors are also using the very same compilers and file libraries of code that normal programs use so when a new malware detection is added to the antivirus definition files... it can have enough common code with normal programs that the normal program gets misdetected as a malware threat.

There is little that we can do about these detections except try and educate the users a bit and provide a bit of info to help support our statements.

I'll start by using a third party confirmation for what we state that UBCD4Win has been tested by Softpedia and was awarded a 100% Clean Award as can be verified on their website here http://www.softpedia...lean-76994.html

Since each time this happens its with a different program or detected as different threats we've can only address them in general. So we also got some info about these in the FAQ's here http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false

Before you do anything else... update your antivirus or other protection program and test the file again. Most of the companies will update their definitions often and may have already corrected the issue... so always test with the latest updates before you do anything else.

We can also tell you how to double check all of the above by doing additional testing. Before you even run anything in the project... disable your On Access scanner for your protection program and then test the file or files in question at either http://virusscan.jotti.org/ or at http://www.virustotal.com . If you don't disable your protection you won't be able to upload the file because your protection software will block access to it.

Once you have tested and proven to yourself that it truely is a false positive... report the detection to your antivirus program's company so they can correct the issue. Don't get mad at them and switch for this type of reason alone... you would only switch one set of false detections for another that another program would have... so work with the company directly to get the issue resolved and you will help all users of the antivirus program.

If they want you to email them a copy of the file being detected... remember to archive the file ( arc, cab, tar, zip etc ) using a password and then send the archive file, tell them the password and tell them what it is being reported as along with any other info they may request.
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   steje Icon

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

I think it was a great move to create a separate forum area for the AV detection issues seeing as how it comes up Soooo often from new users...

But why don't you guys add the info from the FAQ as well as any other additional explanation you often reply with anyway to a sticky inside this forum as well?

#5 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

View Poststeje, on Nov 18 2007, 10:05 AM, said:

I think it was a great move to create a separate forum area for the AV detection issues seeing as how it comes up Soooo often from new users...

But why don't you guys add the info from the FAQ as well as any other additional explanation you often reply with anyway to a sticky inside this forum as well?

It usually doesn't matter where we post common information, it still doesn't get read and we have to keep repeating ourselves. It's a good idea, but it will probably have minimal effect. Thanks. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
            "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
            "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
            "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
            "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#6 User is offline   number11 Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

FWIW, the BitDefender online scan deletes keyfinder.exe from the UBCD folder without even asking :thumbdown:

#7 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

View Postnumber11, on May 14 2008, 06:21 PM, said:

FWIW, the BitDefender online scan deletes keyfinder.exe from the UBCD folder without even asking :thumbdown:

Though I haven't ran the BitDefender online scan before, most online scans give the option of just detecting stuff and not acting on anything until everything has been scanned and a report is generated. If you can do that, obviously I'd recommend that for future scans. :)

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users