• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOWTO: Installing UBCD4Win to a Flash Drive Includes a boot menu

#1 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

UPDATE: March 8th 2009

NOTE: I consider the following method outdated. There are currently better methods included with UBCD4Win and I recommend using pcuser's UBUSB.exe instead. It automates the steps below and includes a Kicker CD option which is great for computers that can't boot directly from USB. I'm no longer providing the zip file with the files needed for the below steps. If for some reason you need those files, send me a message. Thank you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first started using UBCD4Win I set out to see if I could have a fully functioning version boot from my flash drive as I always carry it with me. At first I was able to get just the UBCD4Win environment to load, but was then able to have a functioning Windows Recovery Environment and boot menu. I thought I would share the steps I took to do this.

To get started we need to download some files:
    • Download PeToUSB from GoCoding.com and extract it to C:\temp\PeToUSB.
    • Download Syslinux from Kernel.org and extract it to C:\temp\syslinux.
    • Download the zip containing the boot menu files from my website and save it for later.
    • Build UBCD4WIN as you normally would. If you plan on using the windows recovery console make sure Multiboot is turned on and the recovery console option is enabled.

Now the fun part:
    • Run PeToUSB.exe from C:\temp\PeToUSB. Make sure your flash drive is selected in the drive selection list. If your drives are not showing up in the list, make sure you are logged in as an administrator. [dougham - 11/28/07] I would recommend to enable disk format and to select Enable LBA. I had some issues with Dell computers that were solved when I turned this on. This was causing a 0x007 BSOD. If you still receive this BSOD, try using the NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the Windows Server 2003 CD. [masterchi - 11/28/07] Enable file copy which will copy all of your UBCD4Win build files and the correct ntldr and NTDETECT files over. Press "Start" and let it run.
    • Open a command prompt and change directory to C:\temp\syslinux\win32. Type “syslinux [your flash drive's letter]”. My flash drive was F so I typed:
      syslinux F:
      If you don't see any errors you should be good to go.
    • If you are going to be using the Windows Recovery Console make sure you have a CMDC directory in the root of your flash drive. If it’s not there, copy it over now (from your UBCD4WIN build directory) as the zip file in the next step will overwrite setupldr.bin with a modified version.
    • Extract the zip file you downloaded from my site to the root of your flash drive.
    • Delete the following files/folders from your flash drive’s root if they exist:
      • BCDW
      • isolinux
      • images
      • Etc
      • BOOTSECT.BIN
      • Win51IP.SP2
      • Win51IP

• Delete the temp directory your created in in step 1. It might be handy to keep PeToUSB and my .zip file around.

You are done! If you need to add or remove programs from the boot menu, you will need to edit syslinux.cfg in the syslinux folder (it may be hidden). The disk images for the programs are stored in the /syslinux/images directory. [masterchi - 11/28/07]
    If you have any issues or questions please let me know. I hope this can be useful to people and help save all the time and research it took me to figure this out.

Last updated: 03/08/09

This post has been edited by hilander999: 08 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

This is a very popular topic and our users will appreciate the time you spent writing this guide.
      I'm going to pin this topic so it stays at the top of the list.

THANX

@ALL
      Can anyone confirm this method does work?
      Please post the hardware you are testing with as each method seems to depend at least slightly on system configuration.

#3 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

View Posthilander999, on Nov 26 2007, 05:43 PM, said:

This is a very popular topic and our users will appreciate the time you spent writing this guide.
        I'm going to pin this topic so it stays at the top of the list.

THANX

@ALL
        Can anyone confirm this method does work?
        Please post the hardware you are testing with as each method seems to depend at least slightly on system configuration.

Hilander999,

Thank you so much for doing that. I had a tough time and had not seen any one integrate the boot menu. I hope this will save every one some time and effort. If any one has any issues please let me know and i'll help you the best that I can. Also if any one would like to make this a plugin (if that can be done), please contact me and i'd be happy to help with that.

#4 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

No problem, as I said this question has been asked A LOT.

You should "Subscribe to this thread" so you will recieve an email any time a new post is added.
          That is the best wat to track what needs to be done to make it universal.

Part of this can be done in a plugin, the rest needs to be scripted & we will soon have some new scripting features built into the endbuild process.
          It will be neat to see how the project matures from here out.

THANX AGAIN, and keep us updated on any changes you find neccessary.

#5 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:00 AM

So this method includes the initial blue background boot menu where you can choose MemTEST or any other custom made images instead of just booting to UBCD4Win? Awesome, I'm going to give it a shot here at work when I have a chance. I've had nothing but good luck with my method of USB booting but it never included the boot menu. I'll post here later today on how it goes.

#6 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

@masterchi
              Start a new thread for your method, which I know is already posted in another thread somewhere.... & let's git it pinned here also.
              We are looking at alternatives for the boot menu, so give us a good opinion of how this one works for you.

#7 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

4. Extract the zip file you downloaded from my site to the root of your flash drive.

Mention here that you should copy over the files not extract it or else it will overwrite the CMDC folder with the one on your zip that has nothing more then a SETUPLDR.DIN file. I simply copied the file over to the CMDC folder on the Flash Drive and replaced it.

If you need to add or remove programs from the boot menu, you will need to edit syslinux.cfg in the syslinux folder (it may be hidden).

Might be worth mentioning that you also have to copy over your images to the syslinux\images folder on the Flash Drive once you make the changes.

From what i noticed so far i am unable to get ISO's to boot though when i edited the SYSLINUX.CFG file i copied the same structure but i made the KERNEL memdisk for the ISO images but i am not sure if that is wrong, i can check the syslinux website but maybe one of you know how to boot ISO files in syslinux.

List of my results on a Dell GX260 computer (i will try other models later):
                The Windows Recovery Console came up with a 0x007b BSOD.
                Offline Password and registry editor boots just fine.
                NTFS4DOS does not boot, it just sits at "Starting....."
                GOBACK boots up but i don't have any goback machines to test it on so i assume it works.
                DBAN Booted just fine.
                UBCD4Win i recieve a 0x007b BSOD

I am going to try to replace all instances of NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the thumbdrive with the same files from a Server 2003 CD to stop the BSOD. On my method of UBCD4Win booting on a thumbdrive i had to do this so i will give it a shot and post back on what happens.

One Question to DummptyHummpty.......Is the SETUPLDR.BIN file in CMDC specially edited? I am going to replace that file with a server2003 SETUPLDR.BIN unless you tell me otherwise. I like the option of having the bootmenu though we need to work out these issues. I might not have time today to make these changes but i will give it a shot and post back either today or tomorrow whenever i find time.

Nice Job though DummptyHummpty, i like it so far :)

This post has been edited by masterchi: 27 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

#8 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

View Posthilander999, on Nov 26 2007, 09:04 PM, said:

No problem, as I said this question has been asked A LOT.

You should "Subscribe to this thread" so you will recieve an email any time a new post is added.
                  That is the best wat to track what needs to be done to make it universal.

Part of this can be done in a plugin, the rest needs to be scripted & we will soon have some new scripting features built into the endbuild process.
                  It will be neat to see how the project matures from here out.

THANX AGAIN, and keep us updated on any changes you find neccessary.

All right I have subscribed. I'll keep an eye out for that scripting and then maybe start working on a plugin.

View Postmasterchi, on Nov 27 2007, 03:00 AM, said:

So this method includes the initial blue background boot menu where you can choose MemTEST or any other custom made images instead of just booting to UBCD4Win? Awesome, I'm going to give it a shot here at work when I have a chance. I've had nothing but good luck with my method of USB booting but it never included the boot menu. I'll post here later today on how it goes.

Well, the menu looks a little different and the background is actually the UBCD4Win logo, but yes it's the menu with all the programs like Memtest, DBAN, Recovery Console, etc. If any one has suggestions on tweaking the layout, please let me know!

#9 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

Ok after i replaced all instances of NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the thumbdrive with the same files from a Server 2003 CD i was successfully able to boot to UBCD4Win and the Recovery Console (no more 0x007b BSOD). NTFS4DOS still does not work

I am still having trouble with ISO images though and didn't find much help on Syslinux on whether they allow booting to ISO images or how to make them work. An excerpt from the changes i made on my current SYSLINUX.CFG file looks like this if anyone can help(and yes i copied the images to the correct path in the SYSLINUX folder so that is not an issue):

LABEL MEMTEST
                      MENU LABEL Memtest86
                      [b]KERNEL memdisk
                      APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\memtest.iso[/b]
                      TEXT HELP
                      * version: 3.3 (12/Jan/2007)
                      * http://www.memtest86.com
                      Test System Memory for Errors
                      ENDTEXT

LABEL HardDriveFitnessTest
                      MENU LABEL Harddrive Fitness Test
                      [b]KERNEL memdisk
                      APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\dft32_v408_b00.iso[/b]
                      TEXT HELP
                      Runs Harddrive Test
                      ENDTEXT

LABEL SPINRITE
                      MENU LABEL SpinRite V6
                      [b]KERNEL memdisk
                      APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\SpinRite.iso[/b]
                      TEXT HELP
                      Repairs Bad Harddrives
                      ENDTEXT

LABEL MEMTEST86PLUS
                      MENU LABEL Memtest86+
                      [b]KERNAL memdisk
                      APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\memtest86+-1.70.iso[/b]
                      TEXT HELP
                      Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tests
                      ENDTEXT

As you can see i bolded what i think could be the issue but i followed exactly how these were written for IMA and IMG files with the KERNEL entries and as you can tell i made sure the capital letters are exactly like they are on the working entries. Any info on ISO images in SYSlinux would be great. Thanks.

**EDIT**I haven't looked at fixing it yet but it would be best to change the font color on the boot menu to black if possible, the white font on the UBCD4Win background makes it a bit hard to read.**

This post has been edited by masterchi: 28 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

#10 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

View Postmasterchi, on Nov 27 2007, 10:37 AM, said:

4. Extract the zip file you downloaded from my site to the root of your flash drive.

Mention here that you should copy over the files not extract it or else it will overwrite the CMDC folder with the one on your zip that has nothing more then a SETUPLDR.DIN file. I simply copied the file over to the CMDC folder on the Flash Drive and replaced it.

It should have just overwritten SETUPLDR.BIN, not the whole directory. What program did you use to extract the .zip? What method did you use for that program?

If you need to add or remove programs from the boot menu, you will need to edit syslinux.cfg in the syslinux folder (it may be hidden).

Might be worth mentioning that you also have to copy over your images to the syslinux\images folder on the Flash Drive once you make the changes.

Ok i'll add that in.

From what i noticed so far i am unable to get ISO's to boot though when i edited the SYSLINUX.CFG file i copied the same structure but i made the KERNEL memdisk for the ISO images but i am not sure if that is wrong, i can check the syslinux website but maybe one of you know how to boot ISO files in syslinux.

I don't think you can get SYSLINUX to boot ISOs. What I did was open the .iso files in WinRAR. There was usually a .img or .ima file and that is what I had syslinux use. You may get lucky and find that the .iso is using ISOLINUX. Just find the ISOLINUX.CFG file and copy the parameters to your SYSLINUX.CFG file.

List of my results on a Dell GX260 computer (i will try other models later):
                      The Windows Recovery Console came up with a 0x007b BSOD.
                      Offline Password and registry editor boots just fine.
                      NTFS4DOS does not boot, it just sits at "Starting....."
                      GOBACK boots up but i don't have any goback machines to test it on so i assume it works.
                      DBAN Booted just fine.
                      UBCD4Win i recieve a 0x007b BSOD

I am going to try to replace all instances of NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the thumbdrive with the same files from a Server 2003 CD to stop the BSOD. On my method of UBCD4Win booting on a thumbdrive i had to do this so i will give it a shot and post back on what happens.

One Question to DummptyHummpty.......Is the SETUPLDR.BIN file in CMDC specially edited? I am going to replace that file with a server2003 SETUPLDR.BIN unless you tell me otherwise. I like the option of having the bootmenu though we need to work out these issues. I might not have time today to make these changes but i will give it a shot and post back either today or tomorrow whenever i find time.

Nice Job though DummptyHummpty, i like it so far :)

This is the problem I had with the Dell computers and enabling LBA seemed to help this. However, I did encounter one computer that still would not boot. The SETUPLDR.BIN is specially edited. Unedited, it would see the MININT directory and boot from that instead of the CMDC (recovery console directory). I used a hex editor and replaced all references to MININT with CMDC and then hexed in "00" for each of the remaining spaces fom "N" and "T". Can you confirm that your recovery console loads correctly with your replaced SETUPLDR.BIN?

Also I was not able to get NTFS4DOS to work here and was not sure if it was specific to my machine. It looks like it was not. I'll note that in the first post. Does any one know what might be causing it to stall at "Starting..."?

Thank you, I hope you find this useful and please let me know of any other issues you encounter.

View Postmasterchi, on Nov 28 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Ok after i replaced all instances of NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the thumbdrive with the same files from a Server 2003 CD i was successfully able to boot to UBCD4Win and the Recovery Console (no more 0x007b BSOD). NTFS4DOS still does not work

I am still having trouble with ISO images though and didn't find much help on Syslinux on whether they allow booting to ISO images or how to make them work. An excerpt from the changes i made on my current SYSLINUX.CFG file looks like this if anyone can help(and yes i copied the images to the correct path in the SYSLINUX folder so that is not an issue):

Cut out to keep post length down - Dummptyhummpty

As you can see i bolded what i think could be the issue but i followed exactly how these were written for IMA and IMG files with the KERNEL entries and as you can tell i made sure the capital letters are exactly like they are on the working entries. Any info on ISO images in SYSlinux would be great. Thanks.

**EDIT**I haven't looked at fixing it yet but it would be best to change the font color on the boot menu to black if possible, the white font on the UBCD4Win background makes it a bit hard to read.**

See my note above about using ISOs. I'll play around with the menu in a bit and see if I can change the font to black.

This post has been edited by dummptyhummpty: 28 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

#11 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

The SETUPLDR.BIN is specially edited. Unedited, it would see the MININT directory and boot from that instead of the CMDC (recovery console directory). I used a hex editor and replaced all references to MININT with CMDC and then hexed in "00" for each of the remaining spaces fom "N" and "T". Can you confirm that your recovery console loads correctly with your replaced SETUPLDR.BIN?

Yes it does work correctly. It loaded up and i hit R for recovery and it saw both partitions, My C: drive on the local computer and the MININT directory on my jumpdrive but i was able to successfully select 1 (for C:\Windows) and i ran CHKDSK \R without issue.

Also i did follow your steps exactly and i did check the box "ENABLE LBA" but that didn't stop the BSOD's from happening so ?? But its working now so it's ok. I will check on ISOLinux to possibly create something similar but it will be able to boot ISO's in the boot menu but from what i read it seems ISOLinux does have issues with certain BIOS's that SYSLINUX is not hindered by so syslinux is the best choice.

I'll see if i can make some changes and convert those ISO's to IMG files, i'm sure i can make the Spinrite into a IMG and MEMTEST86+ but the Drive Fitness Test DFT might be a bit more difficult :S

I'll update if i have more news.

#12 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

View Postmasterchi, on Nov 28 2007, 09:52 AM, said:

The SETUPLDR.BIN is specially edited. Unedited, it would see the MININT directory and boot from that instead of the CMDC (recovery console directory). I used a hex editor and replaced all references to MININT with CMDC and then hexed in "00" for each of the remaining spaces fom "N" and "T". Can you confirm that your recovery console loads correctly with your replaced SETUPLDR.BIN?

Yes it does work correctly. It loaded up and i hit R for recovery and it saw both partitions, My C: drive on the local computer and the MININT directory on my jumpdrive but i was able to successfully select 1 (for C:\Windows) and i ran CHKDSK \R without issue.

That's very odd that it works. I'm going to PM you my e-mail address, would you mind sending me that file so I can take a look at it?

Also i did follow your steps exactly and i did check the box "ENABLE LBA" but that didn't stop the BSOD's from happening so ?? But its working now so it's ok. I will check on ISOLinux to possibly create something similar but it will be able to boot ISO's in the boot menu but from what i read it seems ISOLinux does have issues with certain BIOS's that SYSLINUX is not hindered by so syslinux is the best choice.

All right, I was just checking. It's good to know that using the Server 2003 files is another solution to the problem. Maybe i'll make a FAQ section and put that in.

I'll see if i can make some changes and convert those ISO's to IMG files, i'm sure i can make the Spinrite into a IMG and MEMTEST86+ but the Drive Fitness Test DFT might be a bit more difficult :S

I'll update if i have more news.

I didn't mean for you to convert the .iso files themselves and I didn't mean for you to use ISOLINUX instead of SYSLINUX. If you open the .iso files up in WinRAR or WinISO you can see the directory structures. Alot of times you will see an ISOLINUX directory that loads an .img or .ima file. These files can be loaded by SYSLINUX, so you want to extract them (either the .img or .ima) and have SYSLINUX load them. If your not sure of what commands to use in SYSLINUX.CFG, see if the .iso has a ISOLINUX.CFG file where you can copy the commands from. Let me know if I can clarify further. If I have time, i'll try and get you the correct files for Memtest86+ and DFT.

#13 User is offline   xibur Icon

• PipPip
                            • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

View Postmasterchi, on Nov 28 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

For what it's worth, UBCD4DOS 4.1.1 uses syslinux and it includes memtest86 3.3, memtest86+ 1.70, and Drive Fitness Test V4.09 (IBM/Hitachi). If you don't want to include all of the UBCD4DOS tools on your flash drive, you can pick and choose what you want. If you enable the option for UBCD in UBCD4WinBuilder's plugins, it will download it and extract UBCD4DOS's ISO contents to plugin\Multiboot-003\ubcd\files. The files you want for those three are boot\memtest, boot\memtestp, and images\dft.igz.

As for Spinrite, I've found that it makes a difference for its speed as to what DOS environment you run it from. UBCD4DOS gives you several options for your DOS environment, and the one I settled on was LZ-DOS. To use it, you also need to copy over /images/lzubcd.igz, and you need to place spinrite.exe either in the root folder (with no startup.bat file), or in a sub folder "dosapps\spinrite\" with a startup.bat file also in that folder. I did the latter so that I could pass the dynastat 1 command line parameter to it, since I hate how long it takes to deal with bad sectors otherwise.

After looking through all of the menus, I don't see anything that looks like an ISO. It looks to me like the UBCD4DOS folks converted all the tools to not use ISO images.

Here's some menu items you can use for those 4 things, which I'm basically just copying/pasting from my UBCD4DOS menu structures. I haven't actually tested this stuff with a flash drive yet, but they work fine from CD:

LABEL memtest
                              MENU LABEL Memtest86 V3.3
                                    KERNEL /boot/memtest
                                    APPEND -
                            LABEL memtestp
                              MENU LABEL Memtest86+ V1.70
                                    KERNEL /boot/memtestp
                                    APPEND -
                            LABEL dft
                                    MENU LABEL Drive Fitness Test V4.09 (IBM/Hitachi)
                                    KERNEL memdisk
                                    APPEND initrd=/images/dft.igz
                            LABEL spinrite
                                    MENU LABEL ^Spinrite 6 (using LZ-DOS)
                                    KERNEL memdisk
                                    APPEND initrd=/images/lzubcd.igz ubcdcmd=spinrite

Oh, the ^ in the Spinrite label makes it so you can just type the letter S and it jumps to that menu entry. Also, if you put the memtest and memtestp files in \images instead of \boot, be sure to change the lines to point to /images instead.

And just in case anybody reading this thread doesn't know how to make a startup.bat file, here's what I threw together for the one I included in my Spinrite sub-folder:

cls
                            cd \dosapps\spinrite
                            spinrite dynastat 1

#14 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

Xibur,

Your on the right track. That's basically what I was saying to do. If anyone thinks I should includes these in my .zip let me know.

#15 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

@XIBUR

Thanks that helped a lot. I have the two MEMTEST's and DFT working now (i didn't know they were on 4.09, i was still using 4.08) Thanks. Unfortunately Spinrite.iso is still not working for me. I copied and pasted exactly what you had and copied the files over from the UBCD4DOS CD and it loads through DOS just fine then sits at a prompt Q: and i typed DIR and saw nothing for startup.bat or spinrite so i went C: and went to the C drive (my USB) and i typed in spinrite.iso and even startup.bat and it didn't work, just an error that it is an unknown command.

I might not of fully understood your description for spinrite so correct me if so:

I edited SYSLINUX.CFG to be like this
                                LABEL SPINRITE
                                  MENU LABEL SpinRite V6
                                  KERNEL memdisk
                                  APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\lzubcd.igz ubcdcmd=SpinRite.iso
                                  TEXT HELP
                                  Repairs Bad Harddrives
                                  ENDTEXT

and then i copied of the LZUBCD.IGZ file and created the bat file as you mentioned by copy pasting what you had and changing the path in the batch from the DOSAPPS to where the ISO is located for me and just get unknown command SpinRite. Any ideas if i did this wrong? If not i think i still have the executable so i can have it create a floppy image instead of a CD image. Thanks.

This post has been edited by masterchi: 29 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

• (10 Pages)
                                • +
                                • Last »
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users