• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOWTO: Installing UBCD4Win to a Flash Drive Includes a boot menu

#106 User is offline   j1shalack Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hi:

I think PeToUSB is unable to format a USB drive that is greater than 2 GB in capacity. This might be added t othe instructions to minimize someone trying to format the 4/8/16 GB and greater drives available today.

Thanks...

#107 User is offline   tsherr Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

When I follow the instructions at the beginning, I get the following message when I try to boot from the stick (using UBCD4Win 3.2.)

syslinux could not find kernel image: linux

I have the multiboot menu turned off in the build, if that makes a difference.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot - I unzipped the boot files wrong. I will now go beat my head on the desk. :)

T

This post has been edited by tsherr: 12 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

#108 User is offline   S3NTYN3L Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

Followed this guide and now I've got UBCD4Win working from my USB drive...
        I'm wanting to add OPHCrack to it but I'm not sure how to do it.

Do I need to start from scratch and include OPHCrack this time around?

If so, that would suck because it took me like two hours to finally get to this point...

#109 User is offline   S3NTYN3L Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

OK, I've added OPHCrack and SpinRite to the syslinux/images folder and edited the syslinux.cfg file like so:

LABEL SPINRITE
            MENU LABEL SpinRite V6
            [b]KERNEL memdisk
            APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\SpinRite.img
            TEXT HELP
            Repairs Bad Harddrives
            ENDTEXT

LABEL OPHCrack
            MENU LABEL OPHCrack for XP
            [b]KERNEL memdisk
            APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\ophcrackxp.iso
            TEXT HELP
            Password Recovery
            ENDTEXT

Upon selecting either and pressing enter, I get taken back to the top of the menu and the tool doesn't load...

What am I doing wrong?

#110 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

You should have created a new topic as this has NOTHING to do with UBCD4Win on the flash drive this is just cluttering up this post and the useful information. Anyway i am sure the big [b] is your issue on both lines. See below:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/...o...ost&p=59587

This post has been edited by masterchi: 17 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

#111 User is offline   nin Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

View Postdummptyhummpty, on Aug 17 2008, 03:08 AM, said:

On another note, I noticed that UBCD4Win now comes with some kind of USB bootable utility. I haven't had a chance to test it and don't know how or how well it works, but I was curious if there was any reason for me to continue with my developments. I did have some new ideas in mind and was planning to release some new utilities to help with using my method.

This guide has been very helpful to me, and i would love to see continued developments. If you can get it working an 8 GB or larger flash drive, that would be AWESOME!!. Aside from pe2usb, i wasn't aware that UBCD4Win came with a USB utility.

#112 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

View Postnin, on Dec 1 2008, 06:43 AM, said:

View Postdummptyhummpty, on Aug 17 2008, 03:08 AM, said:

On another note, I noticed that UBCD4Win now comes with some kind of USB bootable utility. I haven't had a chance to test it and don't know how or how well it works, but I was curious if there was any reason for me to continue with my developments. I did have some new ideas in mind and was planning to release some new utilities to help with using my method.

This guide has been very helpful to me, and i would love to see continued developments. If you can get it working an 8 GB or larger flash drive, that would be AWESOME!!. Aside from pe2usb, i wasn't aware that UBCD4Win came with a USB utility.

Thanks, I’m really glad I could help out. I'm not able to come on here as often as I would like as school and work keep me busy. I've been trying to work on an update that makes my method easier. The last version of UBCD4Win came with Joshua's ubcd4winToUSB utility which uses my files (What no credit? :threaten2:) and automates most of my process. It looks like the latest version (3.22) has menu support built in. I'm doing a test build right now to see how it works. I'm not really sure if my work is need any more, but I don't mind continuing if it will be useful to others. I hope to have something out in the next month or so, but it will most likely do the same as the utilities that currently come with UBCD4Win.

#113 User is offline   hostingdude Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

View Postdummptyhummpty, on Nov 26 2007, 07:40 PM, said:

When I first started using UBCD4Win I set out to see if I could have a fully functioning version boot from my flash drive as I always carry it with me. At first I was able to get just the UBCD4Win environment to load, but was then able to have a functioning Windows Recovery Environment and boot menu. I thought I would share the steps I took to do this.

To get started we need to download some files:
                  • Download PeToUSB from GoCoding.com and extract it to C:\temp\PeToUSB.
                  • Download Syslinux from Kernel.org and extract it to C:\temp\syslinux.
                  • Download the zip containing the boot menu files from my website and save it for later.
                  • Build UBCD4WIN as you normally would. If you plan on using the windows recovery console make sure Multiboot is turned on and the recovery console option is enabled.

Now the fun part:
                  • Run PeToUSB.exe from C:\temp\PeToUSB. Make sure your flash drive is selected in the drive selection list. If your drives are not showing up in the list, make sure you are logged in as an administrator. [dougham - 11/28/07] I would recommend to enable disk format and to select Enable LBA. I had some issues with Dell computers that were solved when I turned this on. This was causing a 0x007 BSOD. If you still receive this BSOD, try using the NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the Windows Server 2003 CD. [masterchi - 11/28/07] Enable file copy which will copy all of your UBCD4Win build files and the correct ntldr and NTDETECT files over. Press "Start" and let it run.
                  • Open a command prompt and change directory to C:\temp\syslinux\win32. Type “syslinux [your flash drive's letter]”. My flash drive was F so I typed:
                    syslinux F:
                    If you don't see any errors you should be good to go.
                  • If you are going to be using the Windows Recovery Console make sure you have a CMDC directory in the root of your flash drive. If it’s not there, copy it over now (from your UBCD4WIN build directory) as the zip file in the next step will overwrite setupldr.bin with a modified version.
                  • Extract the zip file you downloaded from my site to the root of your flash drive.
                  • Delete the following files/folders from your flash drive’s root if they exist:
                    • BCDW
                    • isolinux
                    • images
                    • Etc
                    • BOOTSECT.BIN
                    • Win51IP.SP2
                    • Win51IP

• Delete the temp directory your created in in step 1. It might be handy to keep PeToUSB and my .zip file around.

You are done! If you need to add or remove programs from the boot menu, you will need to edit syslinux.cfg in the syslinux folder (it may be hidden). The disk images for the programs are stored in the /syslinux/images directory. [masterchi - 11/28/07]
                  If you have any issues or questions please let me know. I hope this can be useful to people and help save all the time and research it took me to figure this out.

Last updated: 11/28/07

I followed all instructions to the letter. Then I go to boot this USB device in a PC (multiple PCs). I get the boot menu, and when I choose to boot Ultimate Boot Disk from the menu, i get DISK ERROR...

Why?

Is the a config file I need to modify to tell it that I'm not on a CD, but instead on a USB...

BTW, I'm on an 8GB SanDisk, and also tried a 16GB Transcend, and a 4GB Sony. Same problem on all of them. No matter what, when I choose to start the UBCD from the main menu (2nd or 3rd option I think, I get the DISK ERROR).

Please advise.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by hostingdude: 05 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

#114 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

Please advise.

Download the latest version of UBUSB.exe to the root of your UBCD4Win folder then run it and select your usb drive from the list and then click "Go".

Make sure that you create a clean UBCD4Win build that produces an iso image before running UBUSB.exe.

This will use default settings to partition and format your usb drive as fat32 using grub4dos as the bootloader and will write your UBCD4Win build to it. This will also build a "kicker cd" iso image that can be burned to cd and used to boot your usb drive on computers that can't natively boot from usb or can't boot from usb correctly.

The "PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode / Memory Mapped)" boot option is usually the fastest.
                    If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#115 User is offline   hostingdude Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

Download PeToUSB from GoCoding.com and extract it to C:\temp\PeToUSB.
                      Download Syslinux from Kernel.org and extract it to C:\temp\syslinux.
                      Download the zip containing the boot menu files from my website and save it for later.
                      Build UBCD4WIN as you normally would. If you plan on using the windows recovery console make sure Multiboot is turned on and the recovery console option is enabled.

Now the fun part:

Run PeToUSB.exe from C:\temp\PeToUSB. Make sure your flash drive is selected in the drive selection list. If your drives are not showing up in the list, make sure you are logged in as an administrator. [dougham - 11/28/07] I would recommend to enable disk format and to select Enable LBA. I had some issues with Dell computers that were solved when I turned this on. This was causing a 0x007 BSOD. If you still receive this BSOD, try using the NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the Windows Server 2003 CD. [masterchi - 11/28/07] Enable file copy which will copy all of your UBCD4Win build files and the correct ntldr and NTDETECT files over. Press "Start" and let it run.
                      Open a command prompt and change directory to C:\temp\syslinux\win32. Type “syslinux [your flash drive's letter]”. My flash drive was F so I typed:
                      CODE
                      syslinux F:
                      If you don't see any errors you should be good to go.
                      If you are going to be using the Windows Recovery Console make sure you have a CMDC directory in the root of your flash drive. If it’s not there, copy it over now (from your UBCD4WIN build directory) as the zip file in the next step will overwrite setupldr.bin with a modified version.
                      Extract the zip file you downloaded from my site to the root of your flash drive.
                      Delete the following files/folders from your flash drive’s root if they exist:

BCDW
                      isolinux
                      images
                      Etc
                      BOOTSECT.BIN
                      Win51IP.SP2
                      Win51IP
                      Delete the temp directory your created in in step 1. It might be handy to keep PeToUSB and my .zip file around.

Appreciate the FAST response... Good helper... BUT...

OK, so where in the ABOVE sequence to I run UBUSB.exe and with which command line parameters? From DOS (command prompt) or just from winVista64Ultimate with no parameter switches....

Thank you!

#116 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Admin

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:58 AM

View Posthostingdude, on Jan 5 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

OK, so where in the ABOVE sequence to I run UBUSB.exe and with which command line parameters? From DOS (command prompt) or just from winVista64Ultimate with no parameter switches....

Thank you!

You don't do any of what you mentioned with what PCUSER was suggesting... you download UBUSB.EXE, you build UBCD4Win as usual... you run UBUSB.EXE and let it perform all of the rest of the steps as you were already instructed. No jumping through the hoops you mentioned.
                        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#117 User is offline   hostingdude Icon

• Pip

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

View Postrdsok, on Jan 5 2009, 02:58 AM, said:

View Posthostingdude, on Jan 5 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

Thank you!

You don't do any of what you mentioned with what PCUSER was suggesting... you download UBUSB.EXE, you build UBCD4Win as usual... you run UBUSB.EXE and let it perform all of the rest of the steps as you were already instructed. No jumping through the hoops you mentioned.

WOW! That's progress! And EASY!

I did that and got a better working Flash Drive, but with one small problem left:

Now I can get it to boot up to the first screen, and when I select to boot the Ultimate Boot Disk, it boots into windows, and gets to the Windows blue background you normally see during booting (NOT the blue screen of a freeze), but then a window pops up and says:

PreLogon
                          File Not Found
                          (with an OK Button)

After clicking OK, the PC reboots...

I'm wondering....

Should I have deleted these files/directories from my Flash Drive after running UBUSB.exe?

BCDW
                          isolinux
                          images
                          Etc
                          BOOTSECT.BIN
                          Win51IP.SP2
                          Win51IP

OR, is my problem in the way I built my UBCD4Win -- I just used the standard options -- I didn't add or change any...

OR, is my problem in the options I chose when running UBUSB.exe?

- I didn't format the USB drive -- I did that beforehand from within WinVista Ultimate.

- I chose Grub4DOS as my bootloader (because it was the default)

- And I didn't bother to create a CD Image for USB boot when BIOS doesn't allow (because then what's the point of having it on a flash drive, if I still need to carry a cd around with me -- sheesh) But that shouldn't have affected it anyway.

Any ideas?

#118 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:37 AM

Do it exactly as I typed it (nothing more, nothing less) and run it on XP 32-bit.

This really isn't the thread for UBUSB support. Post HERE for UBUSB support.
                            If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#119 User is offline   hemang Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hello all. I have already build UBCD4Win on a CD and it is working just fine. I thought I will create it on USB pen drive also. I have a Transcend Jet Flash 1Gb pen drive. I followed the instructions and I was able to boot. But there are minor problems:
                              1) When I click on Start-Programs, each menu is repeated for all the number of entries inside it. What is the reason for this?
                              2) My wireless network adapter was not recognised and when I tried to start wireless service, it asked for some missing file.
                              3) The USB booting seems much slower compared to CD booting. But once booted it seems to run ok.

Also, is this guide the better way to make a USB boot disk or is it better to use the internal plugin.

Please give me some advices.

#120 User is offline   Reddwarfposse5 Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hi all,

I have this working from a hard drive with a separate bootable partition. I've followed the instructions properly (i think) but can't get the recovery console option to work. It only picks up the "minint" option. Any ideas as to what i could be doing wrong or how to fix this?
                                Thanks

• (10 Pages)
                                • +
                                • « First
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users