• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOWTO: Installing UBCD4Win to a Flash Drive Includes a boot menu

#121 User is offline   axio720 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

i am new to this forum so tell me if this is in the wrong place or if it has been answered before.
    i work for a school district and one of my associate techs built us a UBCD disc. i have the iso and have used it very successfully booting off a cd. however it would be very helpful if we were able to place that iso on a usb drive. that way we could boot and get to work a lot faster. when we get our new 8gb thumb drives in we will even be able to reimage right off the usb instead of through our network share.

so to make a long question longer... can anyone explain how to take the existing ISO and put it on the usb and be able to boot to it.

thanks for any assistance you all may offer,
    axio

#122 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

i am new to this forum so tell me if this is in the wrong place or if it has been answered before.

Yes, this is the wrong place as your question has nothing to do with the original post in this thread. No, I don't remember it being asked before.

I highly recommend downloading UBCD4Win yourself and starting fresh with a new build. With that being said, here's what I just did and it seemed to work:

1. Made a folder structure: "C:\Build\BartPE"

2. Copied my entire UBCD4Win CD to: "C:\Build\BartPE"

3. Downloaded UBUSB to "C:\Build" and ran it then clicked "Go".

Keep in mind that I booted it in a virtual machine but that's the extent of my testing.

Next time you have a question that's completely unrelated to the first post in a thread, please click the "New Topic" button and start your own thread instead of hijacking an existing one.
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#123 User is offline   VVK Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I would first like to great thanks for the easy guide, which really works!

However, nothing is prefect in this world, and I have a following issue:
        I cannot install neither network support or other hardware - usb stick starts transferring in some endless loop when I try to.
        During the advanced shell setup, I specify various parameters, then I click on "install hardware", and the tries to read/write some data from the usb, but keeps on goinf forever :-(

I thought, that maybe it's because it's reainstalling the usb-bus, acpi power management, etc and as the whole system run from the usb stick itself, it causes the problem.
        But the same thing happends when I try to enable networking (tcp/ip support, etc) AFTER I configured the shell and started the system.

Any good idea ? :_?

#124 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Use the included UBUSB util instead... don't make any changes to the build and test that way first. Then when you make a change you can isolate the trouble... you actually shouldn't have to do anything fancy for the network drivers if you add them the normal method instead.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#125 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

I would advise every one to start using pcuser's UBUSB. It automates the steps from my first post and he includes a Kicker CD which is great for computers that can't boot from USB. Shortly, I'm going to stop hosting the zip file in the first post.

#126 User is offline   jtiger Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Can you please send me the zip file which is required to make uccd4win bootable flash drive

Thanks

#127 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

@jtiger,

Read the post just before yours.

I would advise every one to start using pcuser's UBUSB. It automates the steps from my first post and he includes a Kicker CD which is great for computers that can't boot from USB. Shortly, I'm going to stop hosting the zip file in the first post.

If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#128 User is offline   IdahoTech Icon

• Pip
                  • Interests:Computers (of Course)<br />Photography, Got my degree in it and I am doing Computer Support? Go figure...<br />Cooking, Fishing, Rock Hounding,

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Ok I used the UBUSB and it worked almost perfectly. I was able to boot from it without a problem. :clapping:The one thing I am wondering about is I have Ghost boot images on the UBCD4WIN and they show up under the images folder on the USB but when you boot with the USB stick they do not show up. :blink:

Is there a file or setting I am overlooking for those to show up in my menu when I start the machine? I also have a copy of SpinRite that we have purchased here where I work and we are trying to make a bootable USB because we are getting in student machines with no CD or floppy and only a few usb ports on the new atom machines with SSD drives. :yes:

Am I just goofy and out of luck or am I missing something in a setup file somewhere??

Thanks for any help!
                  "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not to sure about the universe."
                  Albert Einstein

"Never Argue with a Idiot--They will bring you to their level then beat you with experience."
                  Unknown Author

"I don't know what your problem is, but i bet it is hard to pronounce."
                  Unknown Author

"Ahh - I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again..."
                  Unknown Author

#129 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

UBCD4Win uses BCDW as the bootloader, UBUSB uses Isolinux or Grub4dos. Edit isolinux.cfg or menu.lst depending on which one you're using to add custom menu entries.

#130 User is offline   IdahoTech Icon

• Pip
                      • Interests:Computers (of Course)<br />Photography, Got my degree in it and I am doing Computer Support? Go figure...<br />Cooking, Fishing, Rock Hounding,

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thank You!! :crazyhappy:It was the menu.lst. I saw what I needed to do and added them and wala! :clapping:Now I just need to make a new image for the network card on these new mini ITX motherboards because the one I have does not work with it. It was supposed to be a universal driver but alas new technology... :wacko:

Thanks again for the quick response....
                      "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not to sure about the universe."
                      Albert Einstein

"Never Argue with a Idiot--They will bring you to their level then beat you with experience."
                      Unknown Author

"I don't know what your problem is, but i bet it is hard to pronounce."
                      Unknown Author

"Ahh - I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again..."
                      Unknown Author

#131 User is offline   ibionika Icon

• Pip
                        • Interests:Nightclubs, dancing

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

This auto-mount USB feature works on Klikit and Freespire which are using KDE . As far as I know it is not a specific Gnome feature.
                        If yu have a USB drive connected before start up, the /etc/fstab file has to be edited accordingly.

#132 User is offline   bct123 Icon

• Pip

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

:ph34r:

• (9 Pages)
                          • +
                          • « First
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users