• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOWTO: Installing UBCD4Win to a Flash Drive Includes a boot menu

#91 User is offline   mtc Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

another question is How do i add "Ghost" in the menu when it first boots up?
    thanks

#92 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

View Postmtc, on Jul 24 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

This is awesome!
      Question: How do you change the desktop background? I couldnt find it in any folders

thanks for your help

This is a general UBCD4Win question and you should start your own thread about it. There is an .ini file somewhere that you can edit.

#93 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

View Postmtc, on Jul 24 2008, 06:29 PM, said:

thanks

I don't have the answer to this as I have no experience with ghost. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

#94 User is offline   Statick Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

just wanted to add my experiences to this thread :

after following the instructions given in the first post, the USB stick would boot, i'd see the black DOS screen "now loading etc etc" with the white progress bar... then after that hit 100%, it would pause for about 30 seconds, then complain that a file was corrupted, and it would be a different file each time

so i downloaded the server 2003 service pack 2, extracted it and copied the 3 files as instructed, and now it boots fine. there's a minor DLL error when the shell starts, which seems to make the task bar look a bit odd, but apart from that everything works properly. and its FAST too, much faster than booting off a disc!

#95 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:08 AM

View PostStatick, on Aug 16 2008, 09:35 AM, said:

just wanted to add my experiences to this thread :

after following the instructions given in the first post, the USB stick would boot, i'd see the black DOS screen "now loading etc etc" with the white progress bar... then after that hit 100%, it would pause for about 30 seconds, then complain that a file was corrupted, and it would be a different file each time

so i downloaded the server 2003 service pack 2, extracted it and copied the 3 files as instructed, and now it boots fine. there's a minor DLL error when the shell starts, which seems to make the task bar look a bit odd, but apart from that everything works properly. and its FAST too, much faster than booting off a disc!

I'm glad to hear that you got it working.

On another note, I noticed that UBCD4Win now comes with some kind of USB bootable utility. I haven't had a chance to test it and don't know how or how well it works, but I was curious if there was any reason for me to continue with my developments. I did have some new ideas in mind and was planning to release some new utilities to help with using my method.

#96 User is offline   mjcguest Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Wireless Support with WPA-PSK !!!! Woopety doh dah :-)

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts! Just installed V3.2 onto a USB stick using the basic instructions on the first post in this thread. No FTWB or whatever, no configuring, pure vanilla install

Like loads of others, I tried to connect to my wireless router using WPA-PSK and (like loads of others) I got the endless "aquiring network address".

BUT

a) I went into the "advanced" settings (as per previous posts) and "ADD"ed my network

b.) I went into the PE wireless netework config facility and (1) manually set an IP address instead of using DHCP, & (2) manually set my default gateway and my default DNS and WINS servers (in my case all the same as my router)

c) connected to my network (had to enter my WPA-PSK password again, but what the heck :-)

and bingo... full tinterweb access, me and the web in perfect wireless harmony.

So - Thanks again!!

This post has been edited by mjcguest: 25 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

#97 User is offline   IntegrilogicTech Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hello i just got done installing ubusb on my usb drive it gets to the ub screen and when i hit enter on the launch ubcd it goes through the process and when it gets to the setup is ....... a error comes up saying file \$win_nt$.~BT\biosinfo.inf is missing. i don't know what to do know i need help please!

#98 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

I haven't come across this exact error so this is just a guess, delete the "$win_nt$.~BT" directory from your hard drive and try again. This thread isn't a support thread for UBUSB so please start your own thread if my suggestion doesn't work.
                  If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#99 User is offline   IntegrilogicTech Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Can you please clarify witch hard drive, the one where I made the ubusb file from or the drive that Iím trying to boot off of Thanks.

#100 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Delete/Rename it if it exists on the system that you're booting your usb drive on.
                      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#101 User is offline   sbankston Icon

• PipPip
                        • Interests:knitting, spinning,squash, med student

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

View Posthilander999, on Nov 27 2007, 12:04 AM, said:

No problem, as I said this question has been asked A LOT.

You should "Subscribe to this thread" so you will recieve an email any time a new post is added.
                        That is the best wat to track what needs to be done to make it universal.

Part of this can be done in a plugin, the rest needs to be scripted & we will soon have some new scripting features built into the endbuild process.
                        It will be neat to see how the project matures from here out.

THANX AGAIN, and keep us updated on any changes you find neccessary.

please tell me how to "subscribe to this thread"..i didnt see that option...
                        slb

#102 User is offline   Ianhacker Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Has anyone had any issues installing to a large space usb stick? I'm having issues loading to a GXT 16gb usb memory stick. Anyone else had this issue?

#103 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone had any issues installing to a large space usb stick?

The largest capacity flash drive that I have access to is a 4GB Kingston DataTraveler and I have no trouble using any combination of Fat16 or Fat32 with Syslinux, Grub4dos or a standard XP bootsector. I'm using UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) for my tests.

USB flash drives seem to have slow transfer speeds compared to USB hard drives so I've been using 2.5" laptop drives attached to an IDE/SATA to USB adapter lately because they don't require external power and are much faster than any flash drive that I've had access to.

#104 User is offline   dummptyhummpty Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

View PostIanhacker, on Sep 24 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Has anyone had any issues installing to a large space usb stick? I'm having issues loading to a GXT 16gb usb memory stick. Anyone else had this issue?

What problems are you having? I'm going to see about getting this working with NTFS (needed if you want to store files over 2gb).

#105 User is offline   earthsound Icon

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

View Postmtc, on Jul 24 2008, 08:29 PM, said:

thanks

Three months later...

1) create a Ghost floppy disk from within Ghost (in Ghost 2003, go to Ghost Utilities > Norton Ghost Boot Wizard)
                                2) create an ghost.img file from the floppy disk (using something like rawrite)
                                3) place ghost.img into the syslinux\images folder
                                4) add something like the following to your SYSLINUX.CFG:

LABEL GHOST
                                  MENU LABEL Norton Ghost 2003
                                  KERNEL memdisk
                                  APPEND initrd=\syslinux\images\ghost.img
                                  TEXT HELP
                                  * version: 2003
                                  Ghost is a disk cloning program - General Hardware-Oriented System Transfer
                                  ENDTEXT

I have had no problem with this using a ghost.img I created from Ghost 2003.

This post has been edited by earthsound: 16 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

• (9 Pages)
                                • +
                                • « First
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users