UBCD4Win Forums: How To: Boot BartPE from a FAT32 formatted USB drive (Easy) - UBCD4Win Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To: Boot BartPE from a FAT32 formatted USB drive (Easy)

#16 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Unfortunately I do not have access to Server 2003 files as per another post. I wish I did! I wonder why I get the successful boots and if there is a way to incorporate back whatever is being seen on the Windows 98 USB flash drive that causes successful boots.

http://technet.micro...r/bb430831.aspx
    Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#17 User is offline   mlist Icon

• Pip
      • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

I have problem with image larger than 2 GB and multiboot
      I'll try to explain:
      Some days ago finally I created an iso with the following distroes:
      xp
      knoppix
      netbootdisk

I burned the created image on my DVD and all worked perfectly so I decided to create a bootable usb key (and it worked perfectly too!) following these simple steps:
      a) used petousb enabling the options "format" (FAT) and "overwrite files"
      B)executed syslinux f: (where f is my pen drive)
      c) added the necessaries entries for knoppix in syslinux.cfg
      It worked perfectly!
      PLEASE NOTE THAT I EXECUTED SYSLINUX BECAUSE, IF I HAVE CORRECTLY UNDERSTOOD, IT IS NECESSARY TO ENABLE MULTIBOOT OPTIONS. And I think to have correctly understood because my usb key works perfectly but....

Yesterday I decided to add clonezilla to my dvd and to my usb key both; moreover I added others tools (like kaspersky, avg etc...) but I saw that my image is grown and now it is about 2.2 GB
      So...I created my dvd again and it still worked correcly but my usb key doesn't boot correctly although I followed yours instructions in this post.

Problem:
      Reading this post I tried to re-create my new bootable usb key based on my new cd but it doesn't work and I can't understand the reason.
      I'll show you all steps I executed and I hope someone will help me:
      a) I used hp usb format tool with a win98 boot disk as suggested. Moreover I formatted FAT32!
      B)I used petousb (Without format option because usb was already formatted by hp tool)
      c) I copied all files from grub4dos-0.4.3 folder to f: (my usb key)
      d) I added the following lines to f:\config.sys
      device=grub.exe --config-file="color black/cyan yellow/cyan;timeout 0;default 0;title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"
      e) Before to add others menu options I decided to test it so I rebooted the pc and my usb key worked correctly. Xp booted as usual!
      f) I tried to add others entries (as I already did with my previous usb key...when image was < 2GB) executing:
      syslinux f:
      g) I copied all files from bootmenufiles.zip in f: (as I already did for my previous key paying attention to copies extracted files in the root:)
      Copy c:\temp\bootfiles\CMDC\SETUPLDR.BIN F:\
      Copy c:\temp\bootfiles\syslinux f:
      Copy c:\temp\bootfiles\rcldr f:
      h) I deleted the following files from f:
      BCDW
      isolinux
      images
      Etc
      BOOTSECT.BIN
      Win51IP.SP2
      Win51IP
      i) I added knoppix entries as I alredy did for my previous key.
      l) I added netbootdisk entries

The problem is that now knoppix and netbootdisk work correctly instead xp doesn't run and say:
      disk error
      press any key to restart

I suspect that something goes wrong executing syslinux but I think that in order to have multiboot (as I did when image was < of 2gb) it is necessary.. What am I wrong? I thought that the xp stopped working when I executed syslinux but I'm not sure about this and I already tried 4 times to re-create the usb key Without success.
      To sum up the problem is that using an image larger than 2GB all distroes work correctly execpt xp!
      Please note that my usb key is a TDK 8GB

Thanks!

#18 User is offline   mlist Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

Ok

I just made some other tests and I have the confirmation that the problem is related to the usb pen drive that is 8GB.
        Using a 2GB key all work correctly in fact on my kingston 2gb I have:
        a)xp
        b)knoppix
        c)netbootdisk

Using an usb key bigger than 2gb it doesn't work! I think the problem could be related to syslinux that doesn't work on keys formatted in FAT32...but I'm not sure about it.
        I hope someone will help me otherwise...I think that an usb key with 2 distroes is enough... :blush:

bye

#19 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

I'm not the Linux guru around here, but I do have a couple comments you may find interesting.

Textmode setup (the first pe boot phase) does not recognise anything over 2gb when reading the boot data.
          When we create a CD/DVD with mkisofs, we use a -sort list to ensure all boot files are added to the media below the 2gb barrior.

This makes sense why a 2bg usb drive works and why a larger one may have trouble.

I do not know for sure, but you should be able to copy the files to the usb drive in a fashion that respects the boot order, possably copying these files first may correct the issue or there may even be a way to run some sort of defrager to take care of it afterwards.

Try adding your linux images to the usb drive after running a defrag tool that moves all data to the front of the drive first. This may or may not help.
          Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#20 User is offline   ronbo76 Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

View Posthilander999, on Jan 20 2008, 02:51 PM, said:

Unfortunately I do not have access to Server 2003 files as per another post. I wish I did! I wonder why I get the successful boots and if there is a way to incorporate back whatever is being seen on the Windows 98 USB flash drive that causes successful boots.

http://technet.micro...r/bb430831.aspx

I downloaded that link which produced an iso. The iso when written to a CD looks to be a trial software installation. I looked at all its directories exploring cab files etc. and could not find the necessary 2003 files. I am fairly hesitant to install a trial program as MS never installs well.

#21 User is offline   iguru42 Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

I tried following the instructions but I get stuck here:

View PostComPro, on Nov 30 2007, 11:43 PM, said:

[*]Open PEtoUSB.exe
              • Check "Enable File Copy" and select Overwrite Always from the drop-down

• Click "Start" and wait for the file copy to finish

PEtoUSB.exe doesn't see my 80 GB HDD. The HP tool blew away my 1 GB partition and formatted the whole drive to 80 GB fat32. I don't see any way to tell the HP tool to not use the whole HDD.

Isn't PEtoUSB limited to 2 GB partitions?

How do I get PEtoUSB.exe to see my HDD?

#22 User is offline   tjm Icon

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

ComPro - Your suggestion works great. I have tested this on a 2 16usb drives and they work like a champ. I can store my ghost images on the fat32 as well as boot. I also used DD to copy the image over to my usb 2.5" Hard drive. Thanks again for such an easy solution. Tjm

#23 User is offline   thousandbuckle Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

tim,

Can you send me PM with the exact steps or repost the exact steps you took to get your 16gb drives working? Especiall when it comes to the part of adding the GRUB4DOS files. This is where I end up going astray and not understanding for some reason. I am having some issues with the instructions from ComPro and would really like to get this working on my 8gb flash drive.

#24 User is offline   thousandbuckle Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

View Postthousandbuckle, on Mar 10 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

tim,

Can you send me PM with the exact steps or repost the exact steps you took to get your 16gb drives working? Especiall when it comes to the part of adding the GRUB4DOS files. This is where I end up going astray and not understanding for some reason. I am having some issues with the instructions from ComPro and would really like to get this working on my 8gb flash drive.

Never mind I finally got it. Stupid mistake on my part. I did not realize that the second line of the config.sys file to edit was on string in the posting by ComPro.

Funny thing though this same image on a 1GB stick loads alot faster than on the 8GB stick.

Ohh well just glad it is working. Sorry for the newbie mistake.

Appreciate all the postings in here.

#25 User is offline   thejack Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

@masterchi

1. download PEtoUSB (http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb)
                      2. Create your UBCD4win load, no ISO is needed just the initial BARTPE folder with all the files
                      3.Open PEtoUSB and ensure Destination Drive is set to your Flash Drive and as USB Removeable
                      4.Check the box "Enable Disk Format" and for "Source Path to Built BARTPE.." just point it to the location of the BARTPE folder that UBCD4win created on your build. ALSO ENSURE YOU CHECK BOX "ENABLE FILE COPY" and have it set to overwrite always.
                      5.Once you click start it will format the drive and then copy the files it needs to boot from.
                      6.Now if you try to boot now it will work but then stop at a 0x07b BSOD before it loads Windows so ensure you replace all instances of NTDETECT.COM, SETUPLDR.BIN, and RAMDISK.SY_ that are found on the thumbdrive with the same files from a Server 2003 CD to stop the BSOD.

As an added help, your file structure on your thumbdrive will look like it does below
                      BCDW(folder)
                      CMDC(Folder)
                      Images(Folder)
                      MININT(folder)
                      Programs(Folder)
                      autorun.inf(file)
                      bootsect.bin(File)
                      ntdetect.com(File)
                      ntldr(file)
                      win51ip(file)
                      win51ip.sp2(file)
                      winbom.ini(file)

This method does not work : on 3 different usb pen, on 3 different personal computer :thumbdown:
                      on start the text is "remove support"

I do not know :no:

This post has been edited by thejack: 22 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

#26 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Admin

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

View Postthejack, on Mar 22 2008, 03:42 PM, said:

This method does not work : on 3 different usb pen, on 3 different personal computer :thumbdown:

Actually the method does work... the problem you are running into is that not all systems use the same methods for booting USB devices because there is no set standard. So instead of passing judgement, try any of the other methods that are mentioned on this forum or the 911CD forum.... just be warned about what I said about there not being a standard, you may need to work with several methods until you find one that does work or even not find any that does it for the systems you try it on...
                        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#27 User is offline   thejack Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostComPro, on Dec 1 2007, 05:43 AM, said:

[*]Windows 98SE Bootable Floppy Disk - http://files.frashii...ey/boot98se.exe

no is a valid link

example .. this http://www.giulianoa...il/boot98se.exe is valid?

and...
                          i have on notebook no floppy drive

@ablok

If you don't have a floppy drive in your computer, you can extract the .ima file from boot98SE.exe with Winrar. It will error out during the extraction but the file will come out ok. Then you can use 7-zip to extract the contents of the .ima file. The HP USB formatting program can call these files from anywhere you select and it doesn't have to be a floppy drive. I used this method and there config.sys is not created on the USB stick, so there is no existing config.sys file to overwrite when you get to the grub4dos step, which is fine.
                          [/url]

my file boot98SE.exe do not open to Winrar : the messages is "this is not archive"

How can I do?

I am beginners :
                          There is a more detailed guide?

thanks

This post has been edited by thejack: 22 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

#28 User is offline   thejack Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

View Postrdsok, on Mar 22 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

View Postthejack, on Mar 22 2008, 03:42 PM, said:

Actually the method does work... the problem you are running into is that not all systems use the same methods for booting USB devices because there is no set standard. So instead of passing judgement, try any of the other methods that are mentioned on this forum or the 911CD forum.... just be warned about what I said about there not being a standard, you may need to work with several methods until you find one that does work or even not find any that does it for the systems you try it on...

I also tried the method ok dummptyhummpty and it works : I ubcd4win with the problem that startup the "pre logon" program i stopped
                            i have on post : http://www.ubcd4win.com/...opic=9630&st=60

This post has been edited by thejack: 22 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

#29 User is offline   Hemo2 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

I thought I'd post a note of thanks for this thread. I appreciate very much others taking the time to work through these things and post things like this. I made a USB boot project using the instructions posted originally by dummptyhummpty and it worked great, but I ran into an issue of my custom boot floppy disks not working. I was attracted to this post due to it using FAT32 so I can use larger than 2GB devices, so I've been working on a USB boot device the past 4 days and have had success getting a multiboot menu to work for us. I'll post my results below, but wanted to say thanks again.

• Used the HP formatting tool to format to FAT32. I have a DOS boot disk created under Windows 98 so I used that as my source. In fact, I just copied off the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM files to a folder and used those to make the bootable disk. (I also copied HIMEM.SYS so I could use it in my CONFIG.SYS file.)
                              • Built my Multiboot UBCD4Win project like normal. I had it create an .ISO too.
                              • Downloaded and ran the PEtoUSB tool to copy my project to the USB thumbdrive.
                              • Downloaded the grub4dos-0.4.3.zip file and extracted to a temp folder. I copied the GRUB.EXE, MENU.LST, and CONFIG.SYS files to my thumbdrive.
                              • The config.sys from Grub4DOS has an entry already to start the grub.exe with command line parameters specified. I REM'd this line out and simply put DEVICE=GRUB.EXE and it boots up to use their default MENU.LST menu.
                              • Since it worked, I began editing their menu.lst file to customize it for items we wanted. That's basically it. The hard part was figuring out the syntax and commands to use in the menu though.

Since the thumbdrive was created using a Win98 DOS bootdisk as the source, when you boot you see the Windows 98 splash screen initially. To get rid of this, you can edit the MSDOS.SYS file in a text editor. I added the below lines to remove the splash screen, stop creating a bootlog.txt file and to also hopefully ignore any improper shutdown notices upon bootup.

[Options]
                              BootGUI=0
                              BootMenu=0
                              BootWarn=0
                              DisableLog=1
                              Logo=0

I then ran into a problem where Grub4DOS seems to have some limitation on the number of menu entries you can put into the menu.lst file. I couldn't find any information on limitations with the Grub4DOS menus though. So all I can figure is there is a maximum limit on menu entries or maximum file size (or something) going on because the max menu entries I could get was about 22. I shuffled things around a bit and did get 23 one time, but I can't figure out what the limitation or issue is. So I quite fighting that and to get the items I wanted to include I had to dust off my old DOS experience and put a multiboot menu inside of CONFIG.SYS. Here is what I have done inside of CONFIG.SYS to break things out. Notice I reference a menu file for grub.exe to use in each section. This is how I got Grub to use different menus depending on the selection you make.

[MENU]
                              MENUITEM UBCD4WIN, Ultimate BootCD for Windows v3.12
                              MENUITEM STATESD, State of SD Boot Disks
                              MENUITEM HDDIAGS, Hard Disk Diags & Tools Boot Disks
                              MENUITEM OTHER, Other tech Boot Disks
                              MENUITEM GPARTED, GParted Partitioner
                              MENUDEFAULT UBCD4WIN, 30
                              MENUCOLOR 15,1

[UBCD4WIN]
                              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
                              DOS=HIGH
                              FILES=60
                              BUFFERS=30
                              device=grub.exe --config-file="color black/cyan yellow/cyan;timeout 0;default 0;title Ultimate BootCD for Windows v3.12;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"

[STATESD]
                              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
                              DOS=HIGH
                              FILES=60
                              BUFFERS=30
                              device=grub.exe --config-file=/statesd.lst

[HDDIAGS]
                              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
                              DOS=HIGH
                              FILES=60
                              BUFFERS=30
                              device=grub.exe --config-file=/hddiags.lst

[OTHER]
                              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
                              DOS=HIGH
                              FILES=60
                              BUFFERS=30
                              device=grub.exe --config-file=/other.lst

[GPARTED]
                              DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
                              DOS=HIGH
                              FILES=60
                              BUFFERS=30
                              device=grub.exe --config-file=/gparted.lst

I could have put the common commands inside a [COMMON] section of our CONFIG.SYS, but I couldn't remember when the common section gets executed upon DOS bootup and I wanted to ensure those commands got executed before the GRUB.EXE getting executed. This part wasn't rocket science, so I figure a messy config.sys that I know works is an acceptable solution.

For others to reference, I've listed below the contents of the menus I use and how I boot up the various items. My knowledge of this stuff is pretty shaky and I did a "lot" of internet searching for examples and information. Despite a lot of frustration and headaches, I managed to get things to work well enough for us and maybe others will find this useful.

The nice thing about this is that I used our corporate version of Ghost and made a ghost image of my thumbdrive. I then ghosted that image to my external 80GB USB hard drive and it now boots up fine just like the thumbdrive. Thus, I can hopefully include our various clone images we use to deploy to workstations all on the same boot device.

# This is the statesd.lst file. You can make changes to add or remove boot options.
                              # Items with a "#" are comments and are not executed.

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
                              timeout 30
                              default /default

title State of SD: PointSec Force Removal Utility
                              find --set-root /images/ps_recvr.img
                              map --mem /images/ps_recvr.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: Intel CPU Identifier v3.7.6
                              find --set-root /images/cpu_id.img
                              map --mem /images/cpu_id.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: Intel CPU Identifier (For Old CPU's)
                              find --set-root /images/frq_id.img
                              map --mem /images/frq_id.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: DOS Universal Network Bootdisk v10b
                              find --set-root /images/uni10_cd.img
                              map --mem /images/uni10_cd.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: DOS w/Ghost v11.0.1 (with limited USB support)
                              find --set-root /images/w98gst11.img
                              map --mem /images/w98gst11.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: DOS Bootdisk with DOS Utilities
                              find --set-root /images/w98nonet.img
                              map --mem /images/w98nonet.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: WipeDrive v3.0.0 (Drive eraser)
                              find --set-root /images/wipedrv.img
                              map --mem /images/wipedrv.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: PCI Info v1.1 (Hardware info)
                              find --set-root /images/pciinfo.img
                              map --mem /images/pciinfo.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: SpinRite v6.0 (Disk Recovery and Analysis)
                              find --set-root /images/spinrite.img
                              map --mem /images/spinrite.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title State of SD: Windows NT Repair
                              find --set-root /images/ntrepair.img
                              map --mem /images/ntrepair.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title GRUB4DOS Commandline
                              commandline

title Exit to DOS
                              quit

title Reboot computer
                              reboot

title Halt computer
                              halt

# This is the hddiags.lst file. You can make changes to add or remove boot options.

timeout 30
                              default /default

title HD Diags & Tools: Fujitsu Diagnostic Tool v7.00
                              find --set-root /images/fjdt.img
                              map --mem /images/fjdt.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Gateway GWScan Diagnostic Tool v5.12
                              find --set-root /images/gwscan.img
                              map --mem /images/gwscan.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Hitachi/IBM Drive Fitness Test v4.11
                              find --set-root /images/dft.img
                              map --mem /images/dft.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Maxtor PowerMax v4.23
                              find --set-root /images/pwrmax.img
                              map --mem /images/pwrmax.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Samsung SHDIAG v1.25
                              find --set-root /images/shdiag.img
                              map --mem /images/shdiag.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Seagate SeaTools Desktop v3.02.04
                              find --set-root /images/stools.img
                              map --mem /images/stools.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Seagate(Maxtor) SeaTools for DOS v2.07 (Replaces SeaTools Desktop & PowerMax)
                              find --set-root /images/seatools.img
                              map --mem /images/seatools.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics v5.04f
                              find --set-root /images/wddlg.img
                              map --mem /images/wddlg.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: Magic BootDisk w/MHDD 4.6
                              find --set-root /images/mbd20.img
                              map --mem /images/mdb20.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

title HD Diags & Tools: DOS Boot Disk w/ATTO Tech SCSI UL4S/UL4D
                              find --set-root /images/w98atto.img
                              map --mem /images/w98atto.img (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

commandline

title Exit to DOS
                              quit

title Reboot computer
                              reboot

title Halt computer
                              halt

# This is the other.lst file. You can make changes to add or remove boot options.

timeout 30
                              default /default

title Memtest86+ v2.01 (Memory Diagnostic)
                              kernel /images/memtestp.bin

title Smart Boot Manager (Boot a CD/DVD when BIOS doesn't support CD boot)
                              kernel /syslinux/memdisk
                              initrd /images/sbootmgr.dsk

title Norton GoBack Removal Tool
                              find --set-root /images/goback.ima
                              map --mem /images/goback.ima (fd0)
                              map --hook
                              chainloader (fd0)+1
                              rootnoverify (fd0)

commandline

title Exit to DOS
                              quit

title Reboot computer
                              reboot

title Halt computer
                              halt

# This is the gparted.lst file. You can make changes to add or remove boot options.

timeout 30
                              default /default

title GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 (Auto Configuration)
                              kernel /isolinux/gparted root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat udev dokeymap scandelay=6 dodmraid nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
                              initrd /isolinux/gparted.igz

title GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 (Force VESA video configuration)
                              kernel /isolinux/gparted root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=vesa real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat udev dokeymap scandelay=6 dodmraid nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

title GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 (Force i740 video configuration)
                              kernel /isolinux/gparted root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i740 real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat udev dokeymap scandelay=6 dodmraid nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

title GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 (Force i810 video configuration)
                              kernel /isolinux/gparted root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i810 real_root=/dev/loop0 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat udev dokeymap scandelay=6 dodmraid nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

title GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 (Auto Configuration and Frame Buffer)
                              kernel /isolinux/gparted root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/loop0 vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat udev dokeymap scandelay=6 dodmraid nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

commandline

title Exit to DOS
                              quit

title Reboot computer
                              reboot

title Halt computer
                              halt

Regarding the GParted. I know nothing about linux booting, etc. and it initially complained about an invalid loop for gparted.dat. On my initial command line try, it had "cdroot". After I did a lot of searching and found an example somewhere, I tried using "cdroot=/dev/sd" and then it booted up. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this and have no idea if what I did is appropriate, or for that matter, even accurate. But regardless, it started booting up after that. The GParted is part of my multiboot of the UBCD4Win project that I believe "pcuser" had created the plugin for. (Many thanks for that pcuser!)

#30 User is offline   teobromina Icon

• PipPip
                                • Interests:Portable freeware

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostHemo2, on Apr 9 2008, 09:34 AM, said:

The nice thing about this is that I used our corporate version of Ghost and made a ghost image of my thumbdrive. I then ghosted that image to my external 80GB USB hard drive and it now boots up fine just like the thumbdrive. Thus, I can hopefully include our various clone images we use to deploy to workstations all on the same boot device.

Inspired in your post, I have made a backup of a flash memory Kingston 4 Gb multiboot pendrive including UBCD4Win, Freedos, Parted Magic Live Linux, Mint Live Linux and Slax Live Linux with DriveImageXML ( http://www.runtime.o...veimage_faq.htm ). Then I have restored the backup in a mini hard disk Iomega 8 Gb with identical results: It boots fine with all options. The backup took 12 minutes (about 2 Gb) and the restoration about 6 minutes. :clapping:

*JT.
                                What you do, do quikly (Jn 13:27)

• (5 Pages)
                                • +
                                • Last »
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users