UBCD4Win Forums: IPScan not extracting...Winbuilder not existing.. - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IPScan not extracting...Winbuilder not existing..

#1 User is offline   TechMonkey Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Using 3.10, I had the same issue w/ 3.06, but worked around it, figured it would be fixed...

Installer fails/pukes while extracting IPScan.exe - "An error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile faled; code 2. The system cannot find the file specified."

We run SymantecAV Corporate edition here but I have realtime scanning off. (And I don't get an alert, nothing shows up in logs/quarantine/etc)

I told it to ignore it, as I don't use it, typically. As expected, hash fails for that file: "plugin\Network\ipscan\ipscan.exe, 6C1BCF0B1297689C8C4C12CC70996A75 has been removed."

In addition (I guess because it stops during the hash check and/or the integrity check) UBCD4WinBuilder.exe doesn't get extracted. Last time I was able to copy an older version of the exe over and use that, but I don't have one handy now (though I can get one I'm sure) So, thought I should report this... In the meantime, is there a commandswitch I can use to bypass all the checking and get the EXE extracted?

#2 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

There must be a glitch in the matrix.... deja vu? :boxing::surrender:
      "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
      JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
      "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
      Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#3 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

I swear that was just posted a while ago, exactly the same, wasn't it?

Anyway...

The FAQ ( http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false ) is a wonderful place to look for answers. As for the builder .exe file not being extracted, that's because the entire file check didn't pass. We put these checks in place to more or less guarantee that the main downloaded file is the correct one and the one we released and not some hacked version. It also helps us solve problems easier as we don't have to worry about people having missing files from A/V software and the like. Please reinstall (maybe even re-download) without your A/V software turned on, or if you can try it all in Safe Mode, and then let us know. Thanks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
        "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
        "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
        "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
        "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
        "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

View PostTechMonkey, on Dec 6 2007, 11:38 AM, said:

Using 3.10, I had the same issue w/ 3.06, but worked around it, figured it would be fixed...

Installer fails/pukes while extracting IPScan.exe - "An error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile faled; code 2. The system cannot find the file specified."

We run SymantecAV Corporate edition here but I have realtime scanning off. (And I don't get an alert, nothing shows up in logs/quarantine/etc)

I told it to ignore it, as I don't use it, typically. As expected, hash fails for that file: "plugin\Network\ipscan\ipscan.exe, 6C1BCF0B1297689C8C4C12CC70996A75 has been removed."

In addition (I guess because it stops during the hash check and/or the integrity check) UBCD4WinBuilder.exe doesn't get extracted. Last time I was able to copy an older version of the exe over and use that, but I don't have one handy now (though I can get one I'm sure) So, thought I should report this... In the meantime, is there a commandswitch I can use to bypass all the checking and get the EXE extracted?

Your problem is being caused by your protection software ( s )... as long as it or they remove a file because it or they think its a malware or riskware there is nothing we can do... nothing is broke... either disable your protection software.. or build in safe mode.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

This has been brought up so many times that I'm looking into adding support to prompt the user letting them know what happened and offer an option to continue with that specific plugin disabled if it's a non critical one such as ipscan in your case. There's alot already going on with UBCD4Win development right now so I can't make any promises as to when I'll have time but hopefully it'll be before the next UBCD4Win release.

Tom
            If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#6 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Banned

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

View PostTechMonkey, on Dec 6 2007, 12:38 PM, said:

We run SymantecAV Corporate edition here but I have realtime scanning off. (And I don't get an alert, nothing shows up in logs/quarantine/etc)... I told it to ignore it, as I don't use it, typically.

I also run SAV Corporate Edition (v10.1.7000.7), and I don't have any problems - since we're starting from roughly the same place, this ought to work for you. I also leave real-time scanning running, as this method of exclusion works fine.

Ideally, you'd try installing UBCD4Win on a partition OTHER than c:\ - more out of conveneience the necessity, because the method works either way. But you can imagine it would be easier to work with a program on a separate partition and set of sub-folders, rather than placing it on the same drive as your OS. Since this may not be an option for many, here's what you do if you have SAV Corp.

Let's say you're going to install to c:\... rather than try to disable real-time scanning, let's define what folder you want SAV to ignore. So we'll have to MAKE that folder ahead of time. Let's choose to install to c:\UBCD4Win... so create that folder FIRST. Then:

1) Open up SAV Corp, and choose Configure then File System Auto-Protect.

2) Click on the Exclusions button on the right-hand of screen.

3) Now click the Files/Folders button.

4) Now simply scroll download and place a checkmark in the box in front of the UBCD4Win folder.

You're now done. You've excluded SAV from looking into the folder you specified.

Before writing this tutorial, I followed the instructions exactly as written, and successfully extracted UBCD4Win to my c:\ drive, with real-time protection remaining ON.

If it doesn't work for you, then I have only one suggestion: walk out to the middle of the Mackinac Bridge (The Golden Gate Bridge will do if it's closer), and jump. You will then join the rest of the Darwinian gene pool, which will help to make the world a smarter place. Posted ImagePosted Image

Note: If you're European, the top of the Eiffel Tower will do Posted Image

DW

#7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

We run SymantecAV Corporate edition here but I have realtime scanning off. (And I don't get an alert, nothing shows up in logs/quarantine/etc)... I told it to ignore it, as I don't use it, typically.

I do know that on the non-corp editions we've had a ton of people say there was no alert... so don't go by this alone...

Also don't think that its just antivirus protection that can cause this... I know from experience that antispyware and very possibly process monitoring softwares...

So.. for the evidence... if the MD5 hash of the download checks out... and a known riskware ( because it can scan ip ports/address's ) is whats missing... its pretty clear to be something of this nature messing with you.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#8 User is offline   TechMonkey Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thank you rdsock, you, apparently, are the only one that actually read what I wrote, and responded to it. I understand you all see the same issue over and over, I understand you have to deal with people like MysticMax, I understand you see that I'm a new account and so assume I'm a newbie, but still...just as you want me to have the courtesy to read the forum/faq before asking (and I did, esp. as I've lurked on here for at least 6 months now), I ask that you actually read my post.

Dirk - Strangely enough, I checked, and didn't see anything that really looked my post. (Though strangely, I had been thinking of "The Stand" earlier in the day.)

LittlBUGer - As stated, I did the read the FAQ.

As for the builder .exe file not being extracted, that's because the entire file check didn't pass.

And I quote from the original post (did you read it translated into Russian or something?)

In addition (I guess because it stops during the hash check and/or the integrity check) UBCD4WinBuilder.exe doesn't get extracted. ... In the meantime, is there a commandswitch I can use to bypass all the checking and get the EXE extracted?
                  I knew the original file was good as the hash check was good. (Downloaded from download.com as your mirror was slow that day. Incidentally, I gave you a couple extra ad click-thrus...)

DigiWiz - A simple "I just add the working UBCD4win to NAV's exclusion list" would have sufficed though I appreciate the pretty pictures (I hope those were recycled from a previous post, at least they're there for future helpseekers.) However, the suggestion to off myself at the end totally blew it... (My response here would be rather a bit stronger, but I'm signed in under my "Professional" account rather than my personal one, and so I must represent my employer as best I can.)

I solved the issue in my case by just running it under a virtual machine (with what should be the exact same anti-malware setup as my workstation - obviously it's a localized issue), I was just reporting my experience in case there was an actual bug, or a known issue. (rsok's "Hey, sometimes they block stuff without alerting you like they should" was perfect. FWIW, nothing gets logged in the system or app logs, either.)

And now, I leave you with a banana: :banana:

#9 User is offline   DigiWiz Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Banned

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:52 PM

View PostTechMonkey, on Dec 7 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

DigiWiz - A simple "I just add the working UBCD4win to NAV's exclusion list" would have sufficed though I appreciate the pretty pictures (I hope those were recycled from a previous post, at least they're there for future helpseekers.) However, the suggestion to off myself at the end totally blew it...

Dude - you totally missed the point. The virtual world either has, or is losing it's sense of humor. I typically take sarcasm to the extreme, hoping that, said sarcasm would be so beyond what any normal person could interpret as being reasonale, that the attempt at humor would make itself readily apparent. Clearly, you missed the Dennis Milleresque jab. For more education on this type of humor, see any of frodo's post over at http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php? I also assumed the accompanying emoticons would help identify my comments as such.

Next time, if someone seems insensitive, take it with a huge grain of NaCl - and consider the advice given might also contain some light-heartedness.

BTW, FYI, the "pretty pictures" were intended to eliminate ANY possibility of mistake, for you or anyone else who may be using SAV Corp.

DW

Addendum: I was also going to include pictures of the aforementioned structures and Google maps showing their exact location, to make travelling there easier. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) this board does not allow editing of one's post, so it never made it in. (I came back a short time later, and the edit function was gone) It is for this reason I don't post here often. Perhaps lucky for all of us ?!?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   textonyx Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:37 AM

View PostDigiWiz, on Dec 6 2007, 07:29 PM, said:

I also run SAV Corporate Edition (v10.1.7000.7), and I don't have any problems - since we're starting from roughly the same place, this ought to work for you. I also leave real-time scanning running, as this method of exclusion works fine.

Ideally, you'd try installing UBCD4Win on a partition OTHER than c:\ - more out of conveneience the necessity, because the method works either way. But you can imagine it would be easier to work with a program on a separate partition and set of sub-folders, rather than placing it on the same drive as your OS. Since this may not be an option for many, here's what you do if you have SAV Corp.

Let's say you're going to install to c:\... rather than try to disable real-time scanning, let's define what folder you want SAV to ignore. So we'll have to MAKE that folder ahead of time. Let's choose to install to c:\UBCD4Win... so create that folder FIRST. Then:

1) Open up SAV Corp, and choose Configure then File System Auto-Protect.

2) Click on the Exclusions button on the right-hand of screen.

3) Now click the Files/Folders button.

4) Now simply scroll download and place a checkmark in the box in front of the UBCD4Win folder.

You're now done. You've excluded SAV from looking into the folder you specified.

Before writing this tutorial, I followed the instructions exactly as written, and successfully extracted UBCD4Win to my c:\ drive, with real-time protection remaining ON.

If it doesn't work for you, then I have only one suggestion: walk out to the middle of the Mackinac Bridge (The Golden Gate Bridge will do if it's closer), and jump. You will then join the rest of the Darwinian gene pool, which will help to make the world a smarter place. Posted ImagePosted Image

Note: If you're European, the top of the Eiffel Tower will do Posted Image

DW

I think your solution is more elegant, but I hadn't read it when I installed. So Symantec kept wanting to quarantine ipscan.
                      My first thought was to just turn off real-time scanning, but maybe later it wouldn't like ipscan when Symantec performed
                      a full sytem scan? I solved it by each time the screen popped up with the trojan warning and quarantined ipscan, I right-
                      clicked on the file and in the drop-down menu chose "undo this action" which apparently worked as the build was perfect.

#11 User is offline   horschtmaier Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

same problem for F-Secure Anti-Virus 2008. No alert or anything else...
                        After using option "Entladen" (in english version "unload" - I guess) by right click on F-Secure tray icon, everything was fine.

#12 User is offline   millemiglia Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:27 AM

View PostDigiWiz, on Dec 7 2007, 02:29 AM, said:

lots of text....

lots of text...

DW

Thanks Digi, after reading you instructions I was finally able to build the ISO file!

:clapping:

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users