UBCD4Win Forums: UBCD4Win unable to see either of my Raid drives - UBCD4Win Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UBCD4Win unable to see either of my Raid drives SATA Raid and UBCD4Win help

#1 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:21 AM

:D My Rig:
    ASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe Mother Board
    Onboard Promise Array Controller
    2 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB SATA/150 HDs
    1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB UATA HD.
    2 x 1GB Ram (Dual Channel Linear Mode)
    WinXP SP2

:mellow: Pre-problem:

I had baddly fragmented array drive so I downloaded
    O&O Defrag. (I used it before on my laptop and like the different defrag options I can use.)
    I started the defrag which was supposed to rearrang my files to place most frequently used items at beginning of the drive. As you can imagine this was taking a long time so I went to bed. I awoke to find the defrag had finished after more than 4 hours. :o
    I had to go to work so I shut the machine off. When I tried to reboot it was dead and I got error that it could not read boot sector. I tried to reboot and got nothing. :no:
    A friend suggested that I just have a file corruption problem. So...

:boxing: What I have tried:

I am currently running machine from ATA Drive as SATA Raid is broken.

--I ran all windows restore cd tests I tried to restore MBR but the only thing that will recognise that I have 2 drives is the BIOS.
    :( When I boot it says array is offline and when I go into the "builder" program it shows one drive as being there but not part of the array and the other drive is whatever channel I happen to have it plugged into at the time. It also tells me that rebuild of the array is not an option. :thumbdown:

--I have built the standard UBCD4Win and burned it to cd. (By the way there are options that are on the cd that show up when you boot from the cd but not when you mount the cd inside windows from the other drive)
    Anyway, I have had no luck getting any program on the cd to see either of my SATA drives let alone read the array.

:wall: --I have downloaded several more "fix your drive when it becomes so corrupt it is not recognisable" tools but none of them will recognise the drives either.

:surrender: Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Wow.
      I either stumped you guys or you are offended by my big font selection. Hehe just kidding.

Well, since no one seems to know what I can do, do any of you know where I can find a reputable AND cheap data recovery company to send the drives? :blush:

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I also am suprised that someone didn't jump on this post sooner... I guess the holidays must have all of us busy...

First I'd suggest that you check if its a missing driver issue or a corrupted partition issue. After booting in the project... right click on the My Computer icon and select "Disk Management" from the list. Just look in the lower area to see if it lists the drives and but doesn't assign them a drive letter. Don't make any changes yet... this is just to see if the drives are seen only. If you can see the drives... then this isn't a driver issue so you won't need to create a custom driver for your system at least.

Assuming you can't even see the drives in Disk Management... this would mean you need to rebuild UBCD4Win using the drivers that you can download from Asus's website. Extract the drivers to a folder that you create in the [UBCD4Win]\drivers\SCSIAdapter\Promise ( as an example ) . This wouldn't be too unusual for Asus to have a specialized set of drivers that they require. If you do have to create a custom driver... then you should probably also disable the drivers in the plugins folder named "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage" so you don't get file version conflicts and then rebuild the boot CD again. Test the system again as mentioned before to see if the drives are now seen, remember we aren't yet looking for the drive letters... just that they are listed in Disk Management so any futher tests can be done afterword.

If you do happen to get drive letters before you do any repairs.... take the time to back up any important info.

Now I'm going to refer you back to the Asus manuals for the raid controller. I would first exhaust the methods they suggest for rebuilding the array before you attempt any repairs with any other utility. Raid arrays are not completely standardized and if you attempt a repair with another util... it may lessen your chances of recovering the array... so exhaust those methods first before continuing.
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

Ok Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. So lets go...

View Postrdsok, on Jan 3 2008, 01:42 PM, said:

First I'd suggest that you check if its a missing driver issue or a corrupted partition issue. After booting in the project... right click on the My Computer icon and select "Disk Management" from the list. Just look in the lower area to see if it lists the drives and but doesn't assign them a drive letter. Don't make any changes yet... this is just to see if the drives are seen only. If you can see the drives... then this isn't a driver issue so you won't need to create a custom driver for your system at least.

O.K. I did that and it does not show the drives. :glare: So on to the next step...
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you can't even see the drives in Disk Management... this would mean you need to rebuild UBCD4Win using the drivers that you can download from Asus's website.

:unsure: I assume the ones on my motherboard install disk will do. Let me know if I need to look for something more specific.

Extract the drivers to a folder that you create in the [UBCD4Win]\drivers\SCSIAdapter\Promise ( as an example ) .

:huh: O.K. is their a reason I shouldn't replace the drivers in the following paragraph with these? You know, cut-n-paste from motherboard cd into folder named "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage"

If you do have to create a custom driver... then you should probably also disable the drivers in the plugins folder named "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage" so you don't get file version conflicts and then rebuild the boot CD again.

:huh: O.K. How do I "disable" these drivers? Simply delete the folder or what?

This looks like my current stopping point. Thanks so much for the help! I'll check back tomorrow and try to get started again.

This post has been edited by rdsok: 14 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

To disable the "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage" drivers... run the UBCD4WinBuilder.exe... select Plugins and scroll down to them and then click the Disable button to disable them

Yes there is a reason to not delete, add to or replace the "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage" drivers...

One... don't delete them just disable them in case you need them later...

Two... don't add to them unless you are very familiar with how this plugin is built, doing so without following the DriverPacks.net instructions for adding drivers would likely result in errors.

Three... don't replace them... for the same as reason one
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

O.K. This is what I did to make the new build
              • Coppied the Promise Fastrack 387 driver folder from my motherboard cd to folder on my hd "UBCD4Win/Drivers/Raid/Promise/Fastrack 378 drivers"

• Opened the build program
              • Pressed plugins button and disabled "# CriverPacks.net - MassStorage"
              • Started build
              • Burned ISO to a cd
              • Rebooted machine
              • Selected CD as boot device
              • Booted into UBCD4Win
              • Opened Drive Manager
              • Saw...That missing drives are still not visible. :no:
              • Tried a few of the programs that are on the cd

• Found they could not see them/it either

• Rebooted
              • Logged into forums and started typing
              I looked at the directory of the other folder in the drivers folder ...Drivers/net...
              and my structure is similar. The folder I coppied into the new section contains
              these 4 files

fasttx2k setup info 3kb
              fasttx2k system file 155kb
              fasttx2k security catalog 1kb
              ptipbmf.dll

That's all I can think of to report.
              What should I try next?

Oh! Thanks again for your help! :D

#7 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

You can't just add mass storage drivers like that without knowing how to do it. First you need to add them into the <build>/drivers/SCSIAdapter folder or pebuilder wont know where to look (as far as I know). Next you can't put them in a folder with spaces, use underscores if needed. And finally, with the proper driver files, you'll need a proper txtsetup.oem file. Most mass storage drivers come with these, but some don't. After you do all of that, then try re-building the CD and see if it works. A bit more info available HERE. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#8 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jan 15 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

You can't just add mass storage drivers like that without knowing how to do it. First you need to add them into the <build>/drivers/SCSIAdapter folder or pebuilder wont know where to look (as far as I know). Next you can't put them in a folder with spaces, use underscores if needed. And finally, with the proper driver files, you'll need a proper txtsetup.oem file. Most mass storage drivers come with these, but some don't. After you do all of that, then try re-building the CD and see if it works. A bit more info available HERE. :)

I tried fixing the folder name/path problem but that did not work.

I also tried to find the drivers/SCSIAdapter folder and it does not exsist. It has been a while since I worked on this. So, thinking I may have deleted it, I renamed the build folder and re-ran the set up program for the whole project. I then looked in the new UBCD4Win folder and "drivers/SCSIAdapter" folder does not exsist.

I added the txtsetup.oem file to the list of files in my self created "Drivers/raid/promise/FastTrack378" folder. It now includes these files:

Fasttx2k.cat
                  fasttx2k.INF
                  fastt2k.sys
                  ptipbmf.dll
                  txtsetup.oem

The txtsetup.oem file looks like this (except for being blue of course :D) :

[Disks]
                  d1 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \
                  d2 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \nt4
                  d3 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \Win2000
                  d4 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \WinXP
                  d5 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \Win2003

[Defaults]
                  scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_net

[scsi]
                  FastTrak_TX2K_net = "Win Server 2003 Promise FastTrak 376/378 " Controller", fasttx2k
                  FastTrak_TX2K_xp = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 " Controller", fasttx2k
                  FastTrak_TX2K_nt51 = "Win2000 Promise FastTrak 376 " Controller", fasttx2k
                  FastTrak_TX2K_nt52 = "Win2000 Promise FastTrak 378 " Controller", fasttx2k
                  FastTrak_TX2K_nt4 = "WinNT Promise FastTrak 376/378 " Controller", fasttx2k

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]
                  driver = d5, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                  dll = d5, ptipbmf.dll
                  inf = d5, fasttx2k.inf
                  catalog= d5, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]
                  id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376", "fasttx2k"
                  id="PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373", "fasttx2k"

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
                  driver = d4, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                  dll = d4, ptipbmf.dll
                  inf = d4, fasttx2k.inf
                  catalog= d4, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt51]
                  driver = d3, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                  dll = d3, ptipbmf.dll
                  inf = d3, fasttx2k.inf
                  catalog= d3, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt51]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt52]
                  dll = d3, ptipbmf.dll
                  inf = d3, fasttx2k.inf

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt52]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt4]
                  driver = d2, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                  dll = d2, ptipbmf.dll
                  inf = d2, fasttx2k.inf

[Config.fasttx2k]
                  value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

Ok, that is all I know to tell to this point. Any ideas on a "step-by-step" instruction set to get the drivers to be added?

P.S.
                  Is there a way (other than "it works") to tell if the drivers are being added to the build? How do I search the on disk OS to see if the drivers are being added to the cd?

This post has been edited by stephenopolus: 23 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

#9 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

The SCSIAdapter folder is NOT preset in a default build because we currently use the BTS Mass Storage drivers which don't require that. My instructions before was to create that folder and go from there.

Try putting the files in "Drivers/SCSIAdapter/Promise/FastTrack378" and make a few changes to your txtsetup.oem file so it looks like this:

[Disks]
                    ;d2 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \nt4
                    ;d3 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \Win2000
                    ;d4 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \WinXP
                    ;d5 = "Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver Diskette", \fasttx2k, \Win2003

[Defaults]
                    scsi = FastTrak_TX2K_xp

[scsi]
                    ;FastTrak_TX2K_net = "Win Server 2003 Promise FastTrak 376/378  Controller", fasttx2k
                    FastTrak_TX2K_xp = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378  Controller", fasttx2k
                    ;FastTrak_TX2K_nt51 = "Win2000 Promise FastTrak 376  Controller", fasttx2k
                    ;FastTrak_TX2K_nt52 = "Win2000 Promise FastTrak 378  Controller", fasttx2k
                    ;FastTrak_TX2K_nt4 = "WinNT Promise FastTrak 376/378  Controller", fasttx2k

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]
                    driver = d5, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                    dll = d5, ptipbmf.dll
                    inf = d5, fasttx2k.inf
                    catalog= d5, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_net]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]
                    driver = d4, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                    dll = d4, ptipbmf.dll
                    inf = d4, fasttx2k.inf
                    catalog= d4, fasttx2k.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_xp]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt51]
                    dll = d3, ptipbmf.dll
                    inf = d3, fasttx2k.inf

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt51]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt52]
                    dll = d3, ptipbmf.dll
                    inf = d3, fasttx2k.inf

[HardwareIds.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt52]

[Files.scsi.FastTrak_TX2K_nt4]
                    driver = d2, fasttx2k.sys, fasttx2k
                    dll = d2, ptipbmf.dll
                    inf = d2, fasttx2k.inf

[Config.fasttx2k]
                    value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

:)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                    "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                    "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                    "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                    "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                    "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#10 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Ok I have tried the new stuff but the build won't complete. I am getting 1 build error:

Error: SetupDecompressOrCopyFile() "C:\UBCD4WIN2\DRIVERS\SCSI\PROMISE\FASTTRACK387FASTTX2K.SYS" to "C:\UBCD4Win2\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\FASTTRACK378FASTTX2K.SYS" 2: The system cannot find file specified.

(Too bad I can't cut-n-paste from the builder window)

I am not sure how it works but looks to me, as though the builder is leaving out a slash between the file and the folder it is in. "\FASTTRACK378FASTTX2K.SYS" should be "\FASTTRACK378\FASTTX2K.SYS" unless I am wrong.

What do I need to do to fix this?

And again thank you alot for your help! :yes:

#11 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Can you name HardwareID's?

Boot UBCD4Win.

Run list_mass_storage_controller.cmd
                        (echo List Mass Storage Controllers Hardware ID's &echo.
                        devcon.exe hwids PCI\CC_01* )>"%temp%\hdc.txt"
                        start "" %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe "%temp%\hdc.txt"

Post output.

Edited:
                        Typo devcon changed

#12 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

List Mass Storage Controllers Hardware ID's

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&SUBSYS_80F51043&REV_02\4&2E98101C&0&20F0
                          Name: RAID Controller
                          Hardware ID's:
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&SUBSYS_80F51043&REV_02
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&SUBSYS_80F51043
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&CC_010400
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&CC_0104
                          Compatible ID's:
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&REV_02
                          PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373
                          PCI\VEN_105A&CC_010400
                          PCI\VEN_105A&CC_0104
                          PCI\VEN_105A
                          PCI\CC_010400
                          PCI\CC_0104
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F9
                          Name: IDE Controller
                          Hardware ID's:
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUBSYS_80A61043
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&CC_01018A
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&CC_0101
                          Compatible ID's:
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&REV_02
                          PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB
                          PCI\VEN_8086&CC_01018A
                          PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0101
                          PCI\VEN_8086
                          PCI\CC_01018A
                          PCI\CC_0101
                          2 matching device(s) found.

I have added an external usb hd to the system since we started. I am not sure if the data helps but I now have the 2 missing drives, the 3rd hd I am currently working from, and the external one.
                          Thanks!

This post has been edited by stephenopolus: 01 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

#13 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

By the way, during the boot sequence I WAS getting an error message that read my array is offline now it tells me there is no array defined. :(Obviously I have no idea why the status has changed.

#14 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

I've no idea for offline RAID.
                              Maybe you stop yourself, further attemps may render data thoroughly.

If you like to proceed:

Hardware ID's are nice to know. Crosscheck drivers.

Try UBCD4Win 3.11 with default massstorage drivers
                              There is

If this fails, disable massstrage drivers and add Asus drivers

Don't change txtsetup.oem [Disks] section. Use
                              [Disks]

#15 User is offline   stephenopolus Icon

• PipPip

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

View Postcdob, on Feb 1 2008, 05:25 PM, said:

I've no idea for offline RAID.
                                Maybe you stop yourself, further attemps may render data thoroughly.

If you like to proceed:

Hardware ID's are nice to know. Crosscheck drivers.

Try UBCD4Win 3.11 with default massstorage drivers
                                There is

If this fails, disable massstrage drivers and add Asus drivers

Don't change txtsetup.oem [Disks] section. Use
                                [Disks]

I tried to rebuilde with the [Disks] section changed back to the original. The build completed once and the iso file would run in VirtualPC but I burned it to cd and it would only boot on top of windows and then imediatly shut off leaving only windows. I tried to rebuild 4 other times and the build will not complete. Same problem as before it can not find the .sys file. Very annoying since it is in the same folder. I also tried putting the .txt file in the folder above and that didn't help either.

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users