UBCD4Win Forums: Get Caldera Dr. DOS Booting to UBCD4WinBuilder.iso - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Get Caldera Dr. DOS Booting to UBCD4WinBuilder.iso Two Days at this. Am Bushed.

#1 User is offline   DoGan Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

Bold Print is the question. Rest is background. Tried to be brief but failed.

Am still reading posts to see if anyone else has had a problem similar to mine. Lot of posts. I'm posting my problems on the outside chance that no one has. So, pardon me if this topic has already been covered.

Firstly, I'd like to express "thanks" for your even beginning a project (UBCD and UBCD4Win) of this complexity. Well, complex to me anyway. Very elegant product.

I feel that the UBCD4Win will help me to recover from a problem with XP Pro boot sequence that has had me stumped for almost two days. When my desktop began to boot it got to the XP Splash Screen with the progress bar then went black with no cursor and no further movement. A manual reboot resulted in a screen that indicated a problem and gave choices as to how I would like to proceed, Safe Mode being one of those choices. Choosing Safe Mode resulted in a scrolling screen showing drivers and sys files that were being loaded, hanging after mpu.sys. Several reboots later I had exhausted the individual choices that were offered on the first screen, including Last Known Good Config. all with negative results. Got either hangs or black screen after splash. Same when using choices offered using F8.

I was able to boot to the XP Installation Disk but only for Reinstall or the Recovery Console. I never managed to get an offer to "Repair a Damaged Installation " from the XP Installation Disk.

By installing XP on a second internal HD (E: Drive) , I was able to recover most of the files that would have been lost had I formatted and reinstalled XP on the original C: Drive. All, that is, but a subdirectory of Documents and Settings. No Access. Of all, I need this complete folder the most.

At this point I found your site and attempted to make a bootable disk, with tools and diagnostics, using UBCD4Win. I copied the "Genuine Microsoft" OEM Version, SP2 disk contents to the HD of my laptop. I ran the .exe and went through the process, although, the Plugin section was daunting, and ended up with a UBCD4WinBuilder.iso @ 599,136 KB. I added the file Nero Burn and optioned for a bootable disk. The disk does boot but comes up to Caldera DR-DOS 7.03, not the GUI I expected. Any ideas?? Might I have left in/out a plugin that is giving me the problem?

Both the desktop and the laptop, with which I created the image file run NTFS drives. Both desktop drives are 250GB WD SATA's. The desktop build is two years old with Intel P4 3.4, ASUS MOBO and 2GB Coursair DDR2.

Thanks for your time,

Don

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

You didn't burn the ISO properly. In your Nero... find the option to burn the ISO as an image... there is no need to select to make it bootable because the image file is already bootable IF you burn it properly.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Since people have issues with Nero for some crazy reason when burning ISO images, I've made a few screen shots that I hope will help. These were made using Nero 7:

Nero Burning ROM:

* Step 1 - Go to the proper menu to burn the image
        -- Choose 'Recorder' -> 'Burn Image...'

* Step 2 - Select the proper .iso file to burn
        -- Browse to the file on your PC and open it

* Step 3 - Configure burning options properly and then burn
        -- Make sure Disc-At-Once is selected and Finalize CD is selected and then click on the Burn button

Nero Express:

* Step 1 - Choose proper area to burn the image
        -- Choose 'Image, Project, Copy' -> 'Disc Image or Saved Project'

* Step 2 - Select the proper .iso file to burn
        -- Browse to the file on your PC and open it

* Step 3 - Configure burning options properly and then burn
        -- Make sure Disc-At-Once is selected and then click on the Burn button
        NOTE: The left panel area can be opened up by clicking on the little arrow just above and to the left of 'Number of copies'

I hope that helps. :)

This post has been edited by LittlBUGer: 09 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
        "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
        "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
        "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
        "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
        "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#4 User is offline   DoGan Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

View Postrdsok, on Jan 9 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

You didn't burn the ISO properly. In your Nero... find the option to burn the ISO as an image... there is no need to select to make it bootable because the image file is already bootable IF you burn it properly.

Thank you for leaving out the term "dummy" in your response. I would have found the source of my problem had I gone to the link below prior to posting.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/...?showtopic=2494

I burned another disk using the included "StarBurn" utility and now am the proud possessor of a UBCD4Win boot disk , that works, and am truly amazed at it's capabilities. I will probably be able to repair my damaged XP install but at the very least I've recovered the files that are important to me.

Thank you for your help,

Don

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

View PostDoGan, on Jan 9 2008, 12:47 PM, said:

Thank you for leaving out the term "dummy" in your response.

Well... there is very good reason to not have said that... If you were a "dummy" for trying what you did, then you are in very good company with a lot of other "dummies"... This is one of the most often made mistakes when burning an ISO with users that aren't familiar with the process...

But if it will make you feel better... there is at least an emoticon that reflects your feelings best... :wall:

Just remember, all of us have had similar mistakes also.
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   DoGan Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postrdsok, on Jan 9 2008, 02:02 PM, said:

View PostDoGan, on Jan 9 2008, 12:47 PM, said:

Thank you for leaving out the term "dummy" in your response.

Well... there is very good reason to not have said that... If you were a "dummy" for trying what you did, then you are in very good company with a lot of other "dummies"... This is one of the most often made mistakes when burning an ISO with users that aren't familiar with the process...

But if it will make you feel better... there is at least an emoticon that reflects your feelings best... :wall:

Just remember, all of us have had similar mistakes also.

Thanks rdsok and you too, LittlBUGer. I recognize the emotion. Wish I could do something about recovering the last two days, though.

Do have one more question. Since booting with the UBCD4Win disk, I think I have an idea of what went wrong. According to the NTBTLOG.txt, one driver in a long line of drivers failed to load. Stopped the whole process. Repeat failure after that.

Which group should I go to for adivce in resolving the problem. You guys are pretty laid back and most helpful, but I'd really like to hit the right discussion group the first time. I''m fairly old but new here and don't want to wear out the welcome. New friends are hard to keep sometimes.

Thanks,

Don

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users