Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UBCD4Win hangs at boot

#1 User is offline   david.partridge Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I built the CD just fine from a download taken today, and tried to boot from it on my HP laptop (NW9440 with Intel SATA).

It gets to the end of the progress bar and just hangs with no further activity :-(.

I successfully built a BartPE CD with just McAfee and AdAware SE using the BartPE tool and adding the Intel SATA drivers into C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\SCSIAdapter\Intel SATA and the Broadcom network drivers into C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net\Broadcom. That works just fine and I'm using it right now to fix my sister-in-law's computer along with assistance from Acronis Disk Director (someone who was trying to be helpful had deleted all the partitions - luckily he hadn't actually written any data to the disk apart from the partition table, as she asked him NOT to format the disk and install Windows).

I would appreciate any advice on getting this working - it looks like a really useful tool - Kudos.

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

First try the build without adding the drivers you mentioned. UBCD4Win already comes with a very large number of drivers and if the drivers you add conflict with the included drivers... problems could happen.

So do a build without the drivers you added and test... if it works fine you good...

If not... place your drivers as you did but disable the included ones ... and rebuild and test again.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

If you get completely to the end of the text-mode boot process, the screen goes to black and tries to fade in the boot logo and hangs....

You may be having the ACPI problem.

When you see the prompt to "PRESS F6 TO ADD THIRD PARTY DRIVERS", press F7 and the ACPI INTERFACE will be disabled.
        If the CD does boot this way, then you need to change the acpi setting in the user-settings.inf file.

Let me know if you need the details.
        Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#4 User is offline   david.partridge Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:48 AM

View Postrdsok, on Jan 13 2008, 06:29 PM, said:

First try the build without adding the drivers you mentioned. UBCD4Win already comes with a very large number of drivers and if the drivers you add conflict with the included drivers... problems could happen.

So do a build without the drivers you added and test... if it works fine you good...

If not... place your drivers as you did but disable the included ones ... and rebuild and test again.

Sorry I should have made it quite clear that I didn't change the driver directories of UBCD4Win at all - I have two copies of BartPE - one in its own directory, and another in the UBCD4Win directory tree.

Dave

#5 User is offline   david.partridge Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

View Posthilander999, on Jan 13 2008, 10:46 PM, said:

If you get completely to the end of the text-mode boot process, the screen goes to black and tries to fade in the boot logo and hangs....

When you see the prompt to "PRESS F6 TO ADD THIRD PARTY DRIVERS", press F7 and the ACPI INTERFACE will be disabled.
            If the CD does boot this way, then you need to change the acpi setting in the user-settings.inf file.

It gets completely to the end of the text mode boot, but doesn't fade away. So you may be onto something. The only problem is that the Prompt for F6 goes by VERY fast. Do I just press F7 here or F6 then F7?

Thanks
            Dave

#6 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

View Postdavid.partridge, on Jan 14 2008, 03:51 AM, said:

View Posthilander999, on Jan 13 2008, 10:46 PM, said:

It gets completely to the end of the text mode boot, but doesn't fade away. So you may be onto something. The only problem is that the Prompt for F6 goes by VERY fast. Do I just press F7 here or F6 then F7?

Thanks
              Dave

Just press F7 only. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
              "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
              "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
              "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
              "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
              "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

View Postdavid.partridge, on Jan 14 2008, 04:48 AM, said:

Sorry I should have made it quite clear that I didn't change the driver directories of UBCD4Win at all - I have two copies of BartPE - one in its own directory, and another in the UBCD4Win directory tree.

My suggestions still stand... the only difference would be that if you didn't add drivers to UBCD4Win... then you would skip that part of what I mentioned and then try disabling the included drivers and adding your own to the build as a test.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#8 User is offline   david.partridge Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

View PostLittlBUGer, on Jan 14 2008, 10:41 AM, said:

Just press F7 only. :)

That didn't help unfortunately.

#9 User is offline   david.partridge Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:01 AM

Well, it's working now :), and I don't know which of the two things I did fixed it :(.

What I did:

1) In the plugins screen used the Config button for DriverPacks.net Base plugin which appeared to do stuff.

2) Added the Intel SATA drivers in directory \UBCD4Win\SCSIAdapter\IntelSATA

Now things continue after the text mode part completes and in due course the boot up completes.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users